Help! Too Many Decisions NEWBIE

Beaver Pilot

Hi everybody! I probably the oldest newbie to RC airplane flying. I'm 77 and never flown a model plane that had a motor. I have been interested in flying since I was young. Even started flying lessons in HS but that ended soon with the Vietnam war.
Because of an accident, I became stuck not leaving for a vacation. That change gave me 4 weeks of free time with nothing to do so.... I looked into RC model flying. Reading a lot on the net and a few telephone calls to a club member and 2 hobby shops. Based upon some information, 1)I have decided that I should get a trainer to learn how to fly , 2) I should look for a trainer with "safe to Fly" assistant controls, 3) maybe add safe to land assistance.

I was thinking of buying a RTF model maybe the Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub CS +. However,based upon one telephone conversation, it was strongly suggested I not buy a RTF but a PNP? everything but the transmitter because the RTF transmitters would only work on the trainer I purchased and I would SOON (I doubt this) would outgrow it then requiring to buy a $250 transmitter.

I have several questions:
1) Can a RTF transmitter be used on more than one model?
2) If I were to buy 3 planes in one year, would I be better off buying a PNP, add a transmitter first?
3) Should I try to find some used parts & pieces ?

Any other suggestions?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
2) If I were to buy 3 planes in one year, would I be better off buying a PNP, add a transmitter first?
3) Should I try to find some used parts & pieces
(1) typically not. Although i have used the guts from an old beat up RTF and put them in a foam board Flitetest style homebuilt plane before

(2)if you only want to dip your toes in the hobby, not sure if you'll want to stick with it, buy RTF. Something like my little Ranger600 that my kids fly is perfect. If you even think youll get 2 planes id get a good transmitter (TX). Im a buy once, cry once kind of guy. A good transmitter also makes for a much better flying experience IMHO. You dont have to go crazy but id suggest an 8 channel so that it can grow with you. Im a spectrum guy, but whatever brand you go with keep in mind you'll have to get a receiver from the same brand. You can get open source TX but id avoid that if you're just getting into the hobby as it adds another layer of complexity to the learning curve.

(3) if you can find a good used TX thats not a bad idea but most parts arent that expensive, hardly worth the hastle of trying to find used.

For a first plane I'd find a durable belly lander with a pusher prop. Something like an AeroScout (which is BNF and requires a spektrum TX) or a Bixler 3 that is PNF (doesn't come with a RX so you can put in whatever brand, like FrSky) Both of those can belly land or have gear as your skills improve. The pusher style planes are great for beginners because you can spend more time flying and less time fixing props and landing gear...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
because the RTF transmitters would only work on the trainer
This may or may not be correct, it all depends on the brand of Tx. I've seen some that can be used with another plane, but only one plane at a time. Its doubtful they will have any model memory. But to your point, I think buying a better Tx is a good idea. One with model memory, that can easily be switched from one model to the next.

I would highly recommend you join the local flying club. They will be able to teach you what you need to know. Buy the same brand of Tx that is commonly used in your club. The best way to learn to fly is on a buddy box, two transmitters of the same brand are linked together. If you get into trouble the instructor can take over with the flick of a switch and save the plane.

Tech3811

I have a transmitter that was only $30; it is only 6 channel but pretty decent quality. It came with the receiver. If you just want to try flying, sometimes buying a transmitter is too involved. Maybe you just want to buy an RTF to see if you want to pursue the hobby. You can find some pretty good first time trainers for under $90, but the more money you spend, the more beginner features you will have. My friend has a plane that was $90, RTF, and it came with a propeller saver on it, which was nice. It didn't have any features except a simple gyroscope, but it was really easy to fly. You could nosedive full throttle into the ground and not damage a thing, not even the propeller. It is only three channel, which means only can go up, down; left, right; and of course forward. This would not work with a transmitter that didn't come with it, but is a cheap and reliable way to take a dip in the hobby. After this plane, if you want to really dive in, I would recommend getting a transmitter because there are so many more options from there. Here is the link to the plane:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1TSJV1/?tag=lstir-20

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the hobby and to the forums. As you can tell there are plenty of us here to gain some knowledge from, lots of good experience at the table to choose from.

As you said you were always interested in flight and just now decided to get into the hobby, My first investment would be to get a good transmitter first, plane second. Transmitter is the connection between your thumbs and the plane you fly so it takes priority. You don't have to invest a ton of money into a decent transmitter, it just has to work consistently and be user friendly. In the $60-100 range you can get some good 6-8 channel transmitters by brands like OrangeRX, Turnigy, FlySky,. All should have onboard screens and easy to follow programming. As you get deeper into the hobby you will see that there are way better transmitters and if you choose to upgrade then, the options are almost endless... remember so is the budget.

If you have never flown before you could get into the Horizon Hobby Sport Cub S. Small high wing plane that has all the safety buttons and gadgets you are looking for, can be flown indoors and outdoors, and works with transmitter systems like OrangeRX and Spektrum. I learned on it, taught my 9 year old stepson on it. Its a great little unit. Just another option

Yusernaym

I can't speak for ease of use, but the Radiomaster TX16S will be more than enough radio for almost anyone at about the same price as spektrum's entry level transmitters. It has a multi-protocol antenna and software setup that allows you to bind it to Spektrum, FrSky, and just about any other modern receiver. As for planes, the Sport Cub or Carbon Cub are supposed to be great options. I saw a lot of Carbon Cubs this summer flown by very young kids, so they seem to be pretty accessible.

Stress Test

I have a Spektrum DX6, it is my only experience. (Newbie also)

HOWEVER, I looked at the Radiomaster TX16S, very hard, recently. I think I will add it as my next TX. If I could do it again I might just buy it first.

It is a complex at first from what I have read but will hook to just about everything and the fridge too.

Disclaimer: I test software for a living, so the complex part doesn't put me off much.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a Spektrum DX6, it is my only experience. (Newbie also)

HOWEVER, I looked at the Radiomaster TX16S, very hard, recently. I think I will add it as my next TX. If I could do it again I might just buy it first.

It is a complex at first from what I have read but will hook to just about everything and the fridge too.

Disclaimer: I test software for a living, so the complex part doesn't put me off much.
I have recently picked up the TX16S and have had it for a couple months now. I also came from the Spektrum side and I wouldn't look back now. Sure it did take me a whackload of YT vids to get where I am at now but there is so much info out there on it. The best part to get started with it isn't that hard. If you understand the Spektrum the OpenTX will make sense, you just need to play with it. I have done more with mine already then the DXe could even dream of, and I do more then most with it. Yea less then some but there is so much more to learn on it. I really like mine... can you tell

Bricks

Master member
Not a big deal but comparing a DXe to the DX6 and up series is not really fair comparison, beside doing multiprotocol the DX series will do what ever OT can do just easier.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Really i was just expressing the signifigance of the jump from the DXe to the TX16S. And even though the DX6 is a great radio to start the hobby with, and will do most of the basic to intermediate functions that OpenTX will do, and agreeable it might be more user friendly for the beginner to navigate and understand easily. There is no way a DX6 even comes close to the capabilities of any model equipped with OpenTX. On so many levels the new radios coming with OpenTX are far superior to the DX6, you would have to spend over twice as much with Spektrum to even try to come close to TX16S.

Not sayin just sayin, till you have one. It opens up so much more possibilities. I find myself inspired to come up with an idea and try to find a way to make it work. End result is it usually does, and then some if you do the research.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hi everybody! I probably the oldest newbie to RC airplane flying. I'm 77 and never flown a model plane that had a motor. I have been interested in flying since I was young. Even started flying lessons in HS but that ended soon with the Vietnam war.
Because of an accident, I became stuck not leaving for a vacation. That change gave me 4 weeks of free time with nothing to do so.... I looked into RC model flying. Reading a lot on the net and a few telephone calls to a club member and 2 hobby shops. Based upon some information, 1)I have decided that I should get a trainer to learn how to fly , 2) I should look for a trainer with "safe to Fly" assistant controls, 3) maybe add safe to land assistance.

I was thinking of buying a RTF model maybe the Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub CS +. However,based upon one telephone conversation, it was strongly suggested I not buy a RTF but a PNP? everything but the transmitter because the RTF transmitters would only work on the trainer I purchased and I would SOON (I doubt this) would outgrow it then requiring to buy a $250 transmitter.

I have several questions:
3) Should I try to find some used parts & pieces ?

Any other suggestions?

Soooo....

Let me start with a few abbreviations that might help you:

RTF - Ready To Fly. These are systems that come with a transmitter, a receiver, motor, servos - just about everything you need to get a plane into the air. They don't usually come with a battery or charger, but some of the newer models are coming with them, so you might see that happening more.

BNF - Bind N' Fly. These systems are ones that do NOT come with a transmitter, but come with servos, a receiver, motor, ESC (Electronic Speed controller) - essentially, they're ready to go out of the box if you provide your own transmitter, and are a little cheaper for those of us who already have a decent transmitter. However, you need to pay attention to the Bind N' Fly, because you might buy a transmitter that is NOT compatible with the receiver. For example, MOST (but not all) BNF planes are Spektrum, and use DSM2/DSMX compatible receivers. If you like the idea of having everything pretty much ready to go and you just want to plug things in and go, Bind N' Fly is a great way to go IF you already have a transmitter.

PNP - Plug N' Play. These planes usually have servos, motor, and Electronic Speed Controller, but do NOT have a receiver.This allows you to buy the plane and plug in your own receiver of choice, so that you can fly it on whatever brand of transmitter you want. The savings on this is negligible from the BNF to PNP - essentially, you're saving the cost of the receiver by purchasing a PNP.

ARF - Almost Ready To Fly. These are less common nowadays, but they offer up an airplane, sans electronics. No receiver, servos, motor, ESC, are found with this kit, so you'll have to source those yourself and build it up a bit. If you're brand new and not sure what motor/ESC combo to use, what servos are recommended, etc., I would stay away from these, at least until you know a bit more about what to buy. They're fun to put together, but not something i would recommend for a first time pilot.

I'm going to tell you with regards to the RTF transmitters, that it depends. If you are picking up a Carbon Cub S+ with a DXe transmitter, the answer is YES, you can use it for multiple models, WITH LIMITATIONS. It will require reprogramming by hooking it up to a phone or computer and reprogramming it each time you change over to a different model. If you think you're going to be even the LEAST bit hooked with the hobby, it's worth it to spend a little more by selecting the BNF (Bind N' Fly) version and a separate transmitter like the DX8e, DX8, or NX8.

These radios have the ability to program multiple models in to the system - 250 models, stored in the radio, and won't require a phone or computer to program. They'll also have enough channels to program for the Carbon Cub S+, and support just about any other Horizon Hobby plane out there.

Now, there are a lot of people who will steer you to one brand or another. I will tell you this - BUY WHAT FEELS MOST COMFORTABLE, regardless of brand.

I personally tried a FlySky FS-I6 radio recently (our club's VP works at a hobby shop, and had one for demo in the shop, so i was able to try it). I didn't like the way it felt - not enough resistance on the sticks. I don't know if that's something that could be adjusted for, as some radios offer, but it was instantly a turnoff for me - I felt like I was playing with a cheap "imitation" transmitter, like what i've used for a flight sim.

I've also picked up an FrSky X-Lite transmitter that is favored by some because it looks and feels like a video game controller. I hated the way it felt in my hands because, for my handling, it felt cramped, like I couldn't get a good feel on the sticks. But the kid who was flying with it absolutely loved it, and it felt better in his hands because it was smaller and lighter than some of the bigger transmitters.

My point in mentioning these radios is that there are always pluses and minuses for it, whether it's configuring the radio (do you have friends who have used an OpenTX radio? Do they know how to set it up? if not, you'll likely be watching a lot of YouTube videos trying to decipher how to configure everything on your own), or how it feels in your hands. If it feels cheap, you're likely not going to trust it. If you have to do some weird stretch to flip a switch while flying, or look down at the radio to see a timer, or what position a switch is set to, you're going to hate it and want to change it out to something else, which might mean you have to switch out receivers for your planes, at an added expense.

You get what you pay for - if you buy something cheap, with no support, you're going to struggle. But that doesn't mean you need to sink $1000 into a high end transmitter that will handle 20 channels, record your flight altitude, and even have the ability to show you YouTube videos (I'm not kidding with that last bit - some of the higher end Spektrums have internet capability and can play YouTube videos on their display screens). Buy what feels best, and what you think will give you the least headache with usage. Do a little bit of research based on what YOU need for the planes you think you'll want to fly in the future. And if you can, ask to handle the transmitters you're considering buying. See how they feel in your hands, if any switches feel awkward to flip while holding the controller, if the sticks feel big and bulky or like they might snap if you push them to the limits.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Welcome! I want to start off by saying the carbon cub S2 is a FANTASTIC trainer place that anyone can fly. I can’t speak for the Aeroscout as I don’t have one but from what it looks like it’s very similar and is only $200 rtf. The DXE will work with other planes, but if you are switching models lots you’ll quickly find yourself wanting an upgrade. There are tons of different options for transmitters, but I personally fly spektrum. It tends to be one of the most reliable brands, and it is super duper easy to program. Honestly I would start off with a RTF like the aeroscout and fly that around, and once you get a good feel for the plane and can fly it in all three modes, you’ll be ready for a plane like the air tractor or timber.

randyrls

Randy
Thanks guys anyone else wish to add something?

I will second Merv's statement to find a Flying Club near you. Most clubs will have experienced pilots willing and able to guide you. NOTHING beats being able to see and ask questions. You can "Buddy Box" two transmitters together with a cable or wirelessly. The "Instrutor" gives ontrol to the "student" but if the student gets in trouble, the instructor can take control almost instantly to prevent a crash. The local "Civil Air Patrol" (kind of like Boy Scouts but with planes) visits our Flying Field and we allow them to fly our trainer planes. We have several planes that belong to the club. AMA has clubs all over. https://www.modelaircraft.org/club-finder
Hope this helps.

Beaver Pilot

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my introduction. Your suggestions were spot on. Some of which I followed. So far, I have befriended a person in the Arlington Eagle RC club, here in Arlington WA. I know have a copy of Real flight Trainer & G 9.5. I have even mastered takeoffs and landings, Better takeoffs than landings LOL. My computer doesn't seem to want to let the plane loose elevation. I have to "fly it,to the ground sometimes with steep dives. The trainer I use seems to be more of a glider than an airplane. I accidently came across a used Spektrum DX6i and a Super Cub LP. The outfit came complete with batteries and charger so I'm fixed for a while. The plane had almost every extra part, except the fuselage. I'm reading how to modify the p[lane to add ailerons and flaps. so I'll get in the plane building part of the hobby too. I'm become glued to YouTube videos on modifying, repairing and flying. I never knew here are so many ways to construct an aileron hinge. I'm really excited about getting ready to actually fly this plane. I imagine i will become pretty adapt at fixing this plane since I know there will be accidents along the way. The only regret is that finding another Super Cub LP will be difficult.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my introduction. Your suggestions were spot on. Some of which I followed. So far, I have befriended a person in the Arlington Eagle RC club, here in Arlington WA. I know have a copy of Real flight Trainer & G 9.5. I have even mastered takeoffs and landings, Better takeoffs than landings LOL. My computer doesn't seem to want to let the plane loose elevation. I have to "fly it,to the ground sometimes with steep dives. The trainer I use seems to be more of a glider than an airplane. I accidently came across a used Spektrum DX6i and a Super Cub LP. The outfit came complete with batteries and charger so I'm fixed for a while. The plane had almost every extra part, except the fuselage. I'm reading how to modify the p[lane to add ailerons and flaps. so I'll get in the plane building part of the hobby too. I'm become glued to YouTube videos on modifying, repairing and flying. I never knew here are so many ways to construct an aileron hinge. I'm really excited about getting ready to actually fly this plane. I imagine i will become pretty adapt at fixing this plane since I know there will be accidents along the way. The only regret is that finding another Super Cub LP will be difficult.
Awesome! Landing in the sim is weird for sure - once you've gotten it down on the sim it shouldn't be too hard with the Super Cub LP. Let us know when you fly the Super Cub - video would be great too. (y)
Cheers!

Beaver Pilot

Some additional explanation may be helpful. The PO of the Super Cub bought the plane as a RTF package. He also purchased and bound the plane to a Spektrum DX6i with two battery chargers,12volt & AC. He added two additional batteries and purchased a 6 channel receiver. He also had numerous replacement parts such as the tail ,extra landing gear, servos and rods, two 8 x? propellers and one 10x6 propeller. When I add another plane or two to my squadron, I will be able to program and bind them to the DX6 . It will take up to 10 aircraft. Since I am 77 years old, I doubt I'll have more than a few planes at a time. After all, my eyes are getting bad so seeing to fly will end my aviation quicker than my hardware. I thought that all the equipment for $150 was a bargain compared to buying all this stuff new. Besides, I can probably find someone who could salvage the electrical stuff for another plane. We'' see. I've attached a picture of how I'd like to paint my SC. This plane was restored by Dan's Aircraft Repair Inc. of Anchorage AK.

Attachments

• cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Some additional explanation may be helpful. The PO of the Super Cub bought the plane as a RTF package. He also purchased and bound the plane to a Spektrum DX6i with two battery chargers,12volt & AC. He added two additional batteries and purchased a 6 channel receiver. He also had numerous replacement parts such as the tail ,extra landing gear, servos and rods, two 8 x? propellers and one 10x6 propeller. When I add another plane or two to my squadron, I will be able to program and bind them to the DX6 . It will take up to 10 aircraft. Since I am 77 years old, I doubt I'll have more than a few planes at a time. After all, my eyes are getting bad so seeing to fly will end my aviation quicker than my hardware. I thought that all the equipment for $150 was a bargain compared to buying all this stuff new. Besides, I can probably find someone who could salvage the electrical stuff for another plane. We'' see. I've attached a picture of how I'd like to paint my SC. This plane was restored by Dan's Aircraft Repair Inc. of Anchorage AK.
$150 was a great deal for all of that. The dx6i is a great transmitter that will serve you well. That paint scheme looks great! (y)