torsion spring tubes

rfd

AMA 51668
i like using 1/16" balsa for tail feathers, but sticking in .014" to .016" torsion spring wire into such thin wood is hit or miss, mostly miss. yes, the spring ends could be CA'd to the outside of the wood - i've done that and it works so-so, sometimes ripping off, even with a patch of CA'd tissue or glass reinforcement.

i'd bet others have used some form of tubing to hold torsion springs, so i did some testing with 1/16" alum tubing and i like the results. this also allows changing the spring wire if need be, or experimenting with different tension wire. slots are cut into the balsa using a pair of ganged hacksaw blades (adds up to 1/16" blade thickness), the tubing is cut with a single edge razor blade and pressed into the slots, a tiny drop of CA locks them in place. as to any added weight, i can't even get these little pieces of tube to register on my grain scales. the wire ends can be cut 1/8" or so longer, to press and hold into the balsa, or a drop of CA locks them in until a drop of acetone releases them.

did a mock-up test and liked the results, might work well for some of you folks, too ...

DSC00919.JPG
DSC00921.JPG
DSC00922.JPG
DSC00923.JPG