Tri-Copter build list, ok or not ?

vladoportos

Hello all,

So while I'm waiting for my delta wing spare parts I decided to build my self a "cheepo" tri-copter.

I have semi good idea how the multicopters work, but there are some details that are fuzzy, but how to best learn about it but to make one ( or try )

This should be something for fun.

Here is my order list for my build ( I tried to keep it under 200Eur ), there is no RX/TX as I have one already Futaba T8J that Im using to some great success with my Phantom.

My question is, not "will it fly", but what can I expect and did I choose the parts ok ? What I would like is nice fast go pro platform that can go to tighter places than my expensive DJI Phantom, what flight time I can expect ?
Yes there are no batterys and props as I'm not sure which to use...

1x #9171000157/39242 Hobbyking X900 Tricopter Glass Fiber Multi-Rotor Frame (EU warehouse) = $33.75
1x #9171000073/34542 Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board (EU warehouse) = $31.97
1x #9355000004/36319 TGY-306G Ultra Fast/High Torque MG Digital Alloy Cased Servo 3kg / .06sec / 21g (EU warehouse) = $23.25
1x #9171000180/39317 Hobbyking Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) (EU warehouse) = $2.20
1x #9171000101/39246 Turnigy H.A.L. Battery Mount Plate (EU warehouse) = $3.26
2x #R14A707-06/44285 Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG (1mtr) RED (EU warehouse) = $3.02
2x #B14A707-06/44286 Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG (1mtr) BLACK (EU warehouse) = $3.02
3x #Turnigy-HKLP/31696 Turnigy Battery Strap 330mm (EU warehouse) = $5.25
1x #EC3x10/33369 EC3 plugs (10pairs/set) (EU warehouse) = $6.35
4x #NTM2826S-1200/39314 NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w (short shaft version) (EU warehouse) = $65.68
1x #258000011/36312 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set) (EU warehouse) = $5.03
1x #067000002/41734 On-Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm 2s~3s (EU warehouse) = $4.13
4x #TR_P30A/33617 TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller (EU warehouse) = $59.56

Thanks for any reply.
Vlad

vladoportos

I wish i could get tricopter bat frame from flitest but for now HK is closer to me, after I break it I try to go for bat :)

baddox

It's probably worth getting speed controllers that either come with simonk firmware (AfroESC) or can be flashed with simonk firmware (f-30a or f-20a).

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Few things.

If you're willing to flash your own ESCs, and you're not going to put a lot of stress on your system (keeping the AUW under 1500g, going with 3S LiPos, not slamming and holding the throttle wide open constantly, using the correct prop for the motor, etc) I would suggest the HK 20As. They are about as easy to flash as any ESC. There's no real need for $13 30A. If you would like to skip the flashing, I would suggest the AFRO 20AMPs for $12.29.

The 14g wire is a tiny bit of overkill, 16g works fine, but no real issue.

I would HIGHLY suggest not buying the HK LowV alarm and go with the something like the RcTimer LowV alarm. It provides more information, has a variable setpoint button, can handle up to 8S, AND it's free shipping = cheaper.

I would suggest a NANO-tech 3S 2200 25-50C battery and a Turnigy 3S 2200 25C battery. Both batteries will work, and you will see if the slightly higher quality and expensive NANO-techs are worth the money to you for future battery purchases.

The props for those 1200kv motors should be from 8" to 10" with a medium slow-fly pitch... like 8045 to 1045.

You'll need a battery charger and power supply for the charger. And here's where my canned tip comes in. . .:rolleyes: If you have an old PC power supply lying around, you can get 12V, 5V and 3V off different rails (colored wires). Those 5V and 3V rails are great for testing servos, cameras, etc.

I've abandoned HK for anything I can get elsewhere. But I have to admit, they are the Walmart of RC, so they have most everything you need. However, they are more expensive and MUCH slower to deliver and frequently out of stock on critical items.

baddox

HobbyKing has several multi-cell low voltage alarms with customizable cutoff. I have these two, and they both work fine:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18987
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Voltage_Alarm.html

I've abandoned HK for anything I can get elsewhere.

To me, that only applies with the international warehouse. I get great service from their regional US (Seattle) warehouse since I live in California.

vladoportos

Few things.

If you're willing to flash your own ESCs, and you're not going to put a lot of stress on your system (keeping the AUW under 1500g, going with 3S LiPos, not slamming and holding the throttle wide open constantly, using the correct prop for the motor, etc) I would suggest the HK 20As. They are about as easy to flash as any ESC. There's no real need for $13 30A. If you would like to skip the flashing, I would suggest the AFRO 20AMPs for $12.29.

The 14g wire is a tiny bit of overkill, 16g works fine, but no real issue.

I would HIGHLY suggest not buying the HK LowV alarm and go with the something like the RcTimer LowV alarm. It provides more information, has a variable setpoint button, can handle up to 8S, AND it's free shipping = cheaper.

I would suggest a NANO-tech 3S 2200 25-50C battery and a Turnigy 3S 2200 25C battery. Both batteries will work, and you will see if the slightly higher quality and expensive NANO-techs are worth the money to you for future battery purchases.

The props for those 1200kv motors should be from 8" to 10" with a medium slow-fly pitch... like 8045 to 1045.

You'll need a battery charger and power supply for the charger. And here's where my canned tip comes in. . .:rolleyes: If you have an old PC power supply lying around, you can get 12V, 5V and 3V off different rails (colored wires). Those 5V and 3V rails are great for testing servos, cameras, etc.

I've abandoned HK for anything I can get elsewhere. But I have to admit, they are the Walmart of RC, so they have most everything you need. However, they are more expensive and MUCH slower to deliver and frequently out of stock on critical items.

Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated. I'm at loss about the ESCs, I don't know how to flash them and what I need to do it, but I ordered

DL-Volt-Alarm - On Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm
9192000131-0 - Afro ESC 20Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller ( I hope this will work ok ) the 30A ECS are on the way already but I think I can use them in another build or as a replacement ( I think they need to be flashed, right ? ) I choose the 30A ECS cause motors are 26A, wouldn't 20A ECS not be enough, or it doesn't work like that ?

Props and cells I will get here in local store, regarding charger I already have one big, universal 4 button charger so there I'm covered :)

Regarding HobbyKing store, well its first time for me to use them :D there is all in all around 5 RC shops in 20 min driving distance from me, but mostly its all order... so I figure its probably the same thing.

Should I post some pictures of my progress ? ( its really mine first multi rotor build so it might look terrible :D )

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
9192000131-0 - Afro ESC 20Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller ( I hope this will work ok ) the 30A ECS are on the way already but I think I can use them in another build or as a replacement ( I think they need to be flashed, right ? ) I choose the 30A ECS cause motors are 26A, wouldn't 20A ECS not be enough, or it doesn't work like that ?

Indeed they should be somewhat matched. That goes to what I was saying about not stressing them. And if you keep to the modest variables I suggested, 20A will be fine. I'm all about saving a few bucks here and there, unless it's really going to push the component's envelope or quality. I've used over 12 of the HK 20A and all have performed flawlessly.

But it may be worth spending a few extra bucks. That's why I suggested one each of the two different batteries.

vladoportos

Thanks, I agree that NANO-tech 3S 2200 25-50C are very nice and from what I understand more "C" the better ( like more stripes = more Adidas :D ) I really would like to get as longest possible flight, but sadly I doubt that with the parts I ordered I can get more than 10min, and that might be optimistic still :D