Multi RC HMB-235

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I somehow missed to get a nice look at the HMB-235 at Flite Fest this year, but the more I heard about it after, the more I had to get one. So a few days ago I finally decided to buy one from 4Props.com - the European distributor of the frame.

When I looked around in the store I noticed a motor I had not seen before: the EMAX MT2204 II Cooling Series (2-4 S, 2300 kv). I have a set of standard MT2204, but this "cooling" option looked interesting, so I decided to go with it.

I wasn't able to find anything if the cooling is dependent on the rotation of the motors. Because I decided to get all CW rotating motors and use lock nuts in the future for easier replacement and not having to worry about thread direction, that seemed kind of important. So I contacted the shop using the "sales" mailbox - on a Saturday evening at 17:15.

Can you guess how surprised I was when I got a reply about 30 minutes later from the sales department - on a weekend evening? It was Darren telling me that he just got back from flying his HMB-235, that I would love it and that he was going to look into the cooling setup of the motors when he got back into the office. It was 20:30 when I got the his message that both rotations look exactly the same for the cooling part.

We had a nice email discussion on setups, props and ESCs over the next few mails. Since the EMAX 12A BLHeli ESCs were out of stock he suggested the SimonK series instead (which oddly seem to be the same, just with a different label - and not running SimonK but BLHeli too?). In the end I decided to go with some DYS 20A instead because they support OneShot and Damped Light.

It was really refreshing to talk to someone where you could feel the passion for the hobby and not just an anonymous sales support agent. He even reserved some parts that were not in stock at the moment and made it possible to add those to my first order later, so I didn't have to pay shipping twice. So 4props.com is definitely on my "cool shops" list from now on.

This is what I got:

multirc.jpg

• 1x HMB-235 Ultra Tough Unbreakable Frame
  • 4x EMAX MT2204 II Cooling Series Brushless Motor 2300kv (CW)
  • 1x Mini Power Distribution Board (PDB) 36mm x 36mm
  • 1 2x Active Mini Power Distribution Board 5v 12v
  • 5x DYS BL20A Opto BLHEli ESC
  • 5x DAL "INDESTRUCTIBLE" 5045 Bullnose Props (Orange)
  • 2x Gemfan 5045 Bullnose Propellers (CCW, Black)
  • 2x Gemfan 5045 Bullnose Propellers (CW, Black)
  • 1x XT60 Male with 10cm 16AWG Silicone Wire
  • 1 2x Velcro Battery Strap - 20cm
  • 1x DYS USB ESC Programming Tool

Darren then added four packs of the "regular" 5040 DAL props for comparison, a second battery strap and "upgraded" the regular Mini Power Distribution Board with another active one that has integrated 5 V and 12 V regulators. Did I say I am a happy customer? :)

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this platform.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
That's awesome! The community of the hobby extends so far in regard to what you experienced and it's something that definitely makes RC unique. I've been blessed enough that my local school club has received an HMB 235 for us to teach club members with. They've already had a good time tinkering with the frame and I can't wait to get people on the sticks and even under the goggles out at the field.

:)

jipp

how thick is the bottom plate 3mm, or thicker? this is a 250 ish mini correct, not the smaller 180 mm.

i too am interested in the self cooling emax.. be sure to let us know how the self cooling compare to the regular emax motors.. im quite happy with the emax motors so far.. i almost bought a set, but went with RCX 2255 instead for 34.00.. all the positive feed back they been getting, seems like it was worth a try.. saving 20.00 or so on motors feels good. maybe one day ill try cobras. hhe.. but if these RCX are as good as all the positive feed back iv read.. ill pobably just stick with them and save the money. heh.

i think you did the right with getting the DYS n20 blheli.., after all they cost about the same.. may as well get real bheli instead of emax hacked version.

chris.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
how thick is the bottom plate 3mm, or thicker? this is a 250 ish mini correct, not the smaller 180 mm.

The bottom plate is 6.5 mm (!) HDPE. Yes, it's 250ish, but as the name suggest it's exactly 235 ;). I thought about the 180 too, but this one seemed a lot more crash resistant.

If I'd knew where I put my 20 AWG wires, it'd be built by now. And no electronics shop does seem to have silicone wire in 0.5mm around here. Bummer.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The bottom plate is 6.5 mm (!) HDPE. Yes, it's 250ish, but as the name suggest it's exactly 235 ;). I thought about the 180 too, but this one seemed a lot more crash resistant.

If I'd knew where I put my 20 AWG wires, it'd be built by now. And no electronics shop does seem to have silicone wire in 0.5mm around here. Bummer.

Desperate times call for desperate measures . . . . so what wires are you running in your walls? ;)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Here in Germany we have 1.5mm^2 to 2.5mm^2 in the walls (AWG 15/13?) - that would be a little overkill I guess =). I'm going to visit the electronics lab on campus on monday to call in a favor.