Tricopter electronics help

BigMack

I have recently decided to build the bat bone tricopter, but i have no idea what electronics to put on. I don't know what is too much or what is too little. I pretty much need to know what motors, propellers, esc's, flight controller, receiver, and battery to put on my tricopter.

I plan on using it for messing around in a field by my house, and later fpv with a gopro. I dont need to go extremely fast like a racing quad, but a moderate speed that an intermediate guy like me could handle.

I'm using a spectrum DX8 transmitter.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hi BigMack, and welcome to the forums! Funny enough, the nickname I picked up when enlisted in the Army back in the 90's was "Big Makattack" because of the way my last name is spelled and the ads McDonalds had around that time.

So, your question begs more questions, unfortunately. I would say that if you look at the FT power packs for the quad, that should cover your motor/esc/prop questions... your choice of flight controller might be determined by how comfortable you are with fidding with computers. People who want to minimize (but not completely remove) the need to connect the flight controller to a computer for configuration tend to go with the KK2 boards. Those who are more keen for newer, more capable boards generally have to configure them with a computer.

Cost is also going to determine your choice. The FT powerpacks are better than the cheapest, and aren't the best, so it's somewhere right in the middle. If you're going for something with lower cost, you'd have to look elsewhere, but they should be fairly easy to find. Just look for the components with a similar spec as the FT quad powerpack:

https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-d-standard-quadcopter/

BigMack

Thanks for the help! I'm not very good with computers, so the KK2 looks like my best option. I saw David Windestål's video about the KK2 board, and it seems easy to use. Davids setup that he provides seems to work well for beginners like me.

I picked up big mack in while playing high school football because of my last name too!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Thanks for the help! I'm not very good with computers, so the KK2 looks like my best option. I saw David Windestål's video about the KK2 board, and it seems easy to use. Davids setup that he provides seems to work well for beginners like me.

I picked up big mack in while playing high school football because of my last name too!

Cool, just be aware that the KK2 needs some computer integration if only just to install the latest firmware, which is recommended, unless you get a board that already has it installed such as:

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/kk-mini-multi-rotor-flight-control-board-dupont

I know a lot of people have had problems with Paul/ReadyToFlyQuads being a bit slow with orders or help, but at least he does flash the latest on the board...