Tricopter Scratchbuild!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey guys,

yesterday my order arrived at the duty guys of my hometown so today my mum went to pick it up and drove into the other side of town! I had to pay unbelievable 19% into the price I paid for the products. Hate paying duties but can´t do anything about it and thats just the way it is. unfortunately.

Anyway. All in all I ordered
4 6channel orange rx receivers.
1 4channel orange rx light weight receiver
1 HK KK V2 Quadrocoptercontrol board which will be flashed to runs a Tricopter software :)
1 Turnigy Switch (one of those which enables it to me to for example turn lights on and off via TX and therefore in midflight :D)
3 2210 1000kv Motors

The following stuff will be ordered as soon as I´ve paid my cash onto my bankaccount and saved just a tiny bit of more money. I really can´t wait to build it.

Dymond XP-450 3S 30C Lipo
Dymond Smart Programming card
Dymond Smart 18A ESC (3x)
40g UHU Por
Dymond 5min Epoxy 200g
Wide shrink tube
Silicon cables
and some more smaller parts like screw etc.

Btw all those Dymond products are just a relabled version of the Turnigy Plushs! At least that is what I´ve heard from many people buying them. If you look at the specs you´ll find out they are the same.
Here is the programming card for example :

Prog Card

At the moment I can´t upload pictures. I´ll try again later.

ananas1301

Here are the promised pictures :D

IMG_8580.JPG

IMG_8582.JPG

IMG_8584.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_8586.JPG

IMG_8587.JPG

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That must be sooo exciting! Though you should use the macro mode on your camera to take pictures...

ananas1301

That must be sooo exciting! Though you should use the macro mode on your camera to take pictures...

My dad won´t let me use the good camera that has a nice macro mode etc. So I have to use the old one which is kinda broken. It only works when I go on triple zoom or more. Otherwise it puts white lines across the picture which is even worse then pictures above.

@Rcjim11: Yeah I thought once for a while :D
One came straight away into my Event 3D and another one into my Skyfighter. Then I´ll have one further 6ch one for the Tricopter and the Ultralight receiver for a F3P Plane that I´ll will get after the Tricopter as I have one setup for a F3P plane lying around and I don´t like stuff lying around :D:D And one spare receiver if one breaks or another plane. Btw. my original Ar500 got back into the Parkzone Extra 300. That receiver had to be constantly switched between 3 planes and bound at least 3 times every time I go flying. So thumbs up for that :D

ananas1301

Hey guys,

for you all thinking about getting the HK KK Board V2 just a little reminder of good news!!

Guess what hobbyking did again! It listened to its customer and what they want so they came up with a new USB ISP adapter to reflash you Quadcopter control copter to a tri-, hexa- or T- control board.
The good thing about it is that it is VERY cheap! Not even 5 bucks so can´t complain about that and its got two adapters with it straight away. One from 10-10 and the other one from 10-10-6 pin adapter. That makes a whole lot easier. On David homepage you can see what he had to do get the 10 pins in the right order connected with the 6 pins on the control board. With this one it is just plug it on reflash with Lazyzeros software and DONE! As simple as that. Unfortunately I have to order one by myself from somewhere in Germany. I think I just were a little unlucky about the timing. Just a month earlier and I would have got that. Now need to spend extra money on shipping costs etc. Btw: The first one they sold costs about 30 or 40$ which is way to much for a simple adapter.

Anyway: here a link for the Programmer adapter.

USB ISP AVR PROGRAMMER

Rcjim11

@Rcjim11: Yeah I thought once for a while :D
One came straight away into my Event 3D and another one into my Skyfighter. Then I´ll have one further 6ch one for the Tricopter and the Ultralight receiver for a F3P Plane that I´ll will get after the Tricopter as I have one setup for a F3P plane lying around and I don´t like stuff lying around :D:D And one spare receiver if one breaks or another plane. Btw. my original Ar500 got back into the Parkzone Extra 300. That receiver had to be constantly switched between 3 planes and bound at least 3 times every time I go flying. So thumbs up for that :D
I'll be looking out for your build log on the F3P plane :D
Which one are you choosing?

ananas1301

@RCjim11:

Mhmm not that sure about that yet, because I don´t want to spend money on a depron fuselage that I could possibly break which is lighter then EPP.
Otherwise I might an EPP one just to be able to crash it because they are not easy to fly.

I don´t know yet, so I´ll look what I´ll buy later. I might even build one, which would be the cheapest way :)

ananas1301

I tried building Malves ultra light yak before (even twice) The first one broke due to a stupid mistake I did before having the elctronics built in and the second one was flown for 2 minutes in windy conditions outside with all that NOT foam safe CA.
Lost hope in the second one as well.

So I´ll see what I´ll do after the Tri is done.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Ai .. 19% import duties. Happens sometimes but when I keep the packing max 500 grams it always seems to go through smoothly. How do you like those 2210 100kv motors ?

ananas1301

Build Day number 1

So this is my first post with the actual BUILD! So from now on you should keep your eyes open for some pics :D

Now firstly I thought about how I could get the middle section of the Tricopter cut out real nicely. The ABS (that is that carbon LOOKING!!! plastic) is a little more stiff then plastic and doesn´t break easy at all! But it is 1.5mm thick and you can hardly cut it into a bare shape with a pair of big scissors.
Here are all parts I have up to now lying around except the wooden arms. BTW. That big black piece of plastic is the ABS I am talking about.
IMG_8594.JPG

Anyways. So I went down into the basement and undigged the old machine my mom used back at her days when she was studying medicine (she is a denstist today) and that machine basically is a higher quality dremel.

I used that which took me quite a long time. Also I didn´t have a seperator disc and only those roughly like a ball shaped "put ons" (don´t know how to call them... language barrier :D:D )

So this is the base(ment :D )

IMG_8595.JPG

Here is everything layed upon each other with the arms in correct length. Yes I realised afterwards that I the direction of the KK Board is the wrong way round :D

IMG_8602.JPG

ananas1301

Still belonging to the upper same post :D

So now it came to the servo.

The servo wire came out from the side so I decided to take the servo apart and drill away a bit of the casing from the side so that the wire could come out from the side. Look what I made from that:

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

ananas1301

Last one :D

Now it came to start doing a YAW mechanism...
I wanted to do a fairly simple one which would still be fairly protected with from hits and therefore should be build in a way like David did.

The metal stuff I used was out of a box I got as a present many years ago. It is a construction set you can build stuff out of in small scale and the would be powered by a solar cell. I took a few of the metal stuff I created the following. The problem is that it is not running smoothly... I think I need to rethink that. The avantage is that a hit from a crash would go for the wooden arm and not the mechanism itself. (In most cases...)
I came up with this...

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG

What do you think? I still need to somehow mount the servo and look for it to have less friction. What do you think of it?

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Nice build so far Anas !
I like that ABS/CF like plate .. where did you get that in Germany ?
Like to know because I might have found a CNC cutter close where I live ;-)
Regarding the yaw, how are you gonne make the swivel + ball link ?

ananas1301

Hey guys:

@Burg: I got it from a local hobby shop. It should be easily findable in a few webshops. All that is written on the plastic is ABS Carbon look.
For the mechanism I though that the servohorn would be attached to that at the 90° angle attached pieve of plate that is directly attached to the upper swingable part. The bottom bart is fixed. I´ll try to get better pictures of that so that I can explain it to you better. The pictures with my cam are really bad. It could take photos in makro mode but the problem is that somehow the camera broke...