Tricopter

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
What's the difference between linkage and direct drive?

Direct drive is when the servo's output axis is in line with the motor pivot. Linkage is when they are not in line, and you use a control horn and rod to tilt the motor.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm using the fpvmanuals tricopter kit

Linkage. Try trimming mechanically. Run up the motors as slow as possible, just so the tail servo activates. Un-trim the rudder back towards the center, noticing which way the motor goes as you do this. Turn off the tricopter, and now mechanically adjust the servo arm - unscrew it, pull it off, and rotate it one step so the motor goes the other direction than when you un-trimmed. Screw it back.

Fire up the tricopter again and try retrimming and see if it's better.

Nic

I have the hobbyking control board v2.1, is there a big difference between this board and the KK2 board?

Nic

Another question, can someone give me advise on how to make the tricopter more visible in the air? Because the last time I had some issues by telling where was the front of the tricopter!!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Another question, can someone give me advise on how to make the tricopter more visible in the air? Because the last time I had some issues by telling where was the front of the tricopter!!

Try out a 450 size helicopter canopy, available at your local hobby store... Or pool noodles in two colors, which also work as landing gear.

The KK2 is much more advanced and a bit more expensive. But I fly with KKv2.1 and it works great.

Nic

For somebody who's new to the multi-rotors, is it worth spending more money in the KK2 versus the kk v2.1 ?

dezertdog

High contrast!

IMG_20121015_175303.jpg

dezertdog

For somebody who's new to the multi-rotors, is it worth spending more money in the KK2 versus the kk v2.1 ?

The KK2 board for the money can't be beat, the next step up is quite a price jump. I'm running GPS etc now so had to move away from "KK" boards unfortunately. I want to pick one up for a simple build soon though.

This is a great episode and you should have dave make FPV montage vids when he comes back. Or you can have him help film from the air as he had in some episodes. Do you guys have an idea when he'll be back?

Nic-

you might just want to make it FPV that would solve your problem! I think this frame was designed for FPV as well. As for mor visibility wise you might want to consider different color props. Thos seem to help flitetest a lot in the H-Quad episode. hope this helps!:)

Last edited:

Nic

I have this project of building a mini-battlebot, but the only problem is that I don't know how to hook up my li-po battery to my receiver. Can I hook it up directly with an adaptor to my receiver? If so, is there an adaptor for that purpose?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have this project of building a mini-battlebot, but the only problem is that I don't know how to hook up my li-po battery to my receiver. Can I hook it up directly with an adaptor to my receiver? If so, is there an adaptor for that purpose?

You need to use a UBEC (Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit) to bring the battery voltage down to the receiver's acceptable input voltage (usually around 5V) You can get them at a local hobby shop or many online ones as well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4319__TURNIGY_3A_UBEC_w_Noise_Reduction.html

Thurmond

Nic

On the "Basic FPV setup" video, is there a tip on how to power up the transmitter? Or a video on how to make the adapter?

dezertdog

On the "Basic FPV setup" video, is there a tip on how to power up the transmitter? Or a video on how to make the adapter?

It can depend on which transmitter setup you choose. Some systems like the FatShark have a power supply that uses the charge lead of your lipo, whereas some of the Hobby King systems just come with bare wires you have to wire up yourself.