Trying to Decide on 1st Transmitter

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I believe you can put a spektrum compatible module in the Turnigy radio. If that's the case, you can start with it, and if you decide to switch to Spektrum, then you don't need to buy all new receivers. You can just bind to the new radio and go.

I believe I've heard that rumor before (maybe on FB) and if it is true I might go that route instead of what we are "torn" to do now. If anyone has any knowledge of this rumored module, especially any experience with it, I am very very interested.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Google it, I did last night and came up with some info on it, as I was dozing off.

Just up for a few minutes now, or I'd search it out some more.

Minfang Duan

i have a dx6i and a dx8 i perffer the dx8 because of the timer that you can program to activate when throttle is at whatever percent and also it has 30 model memory and a 128mb sd card so you can back up your models on the computer.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Google it, I did last night and came up with some info on it, as I was dozing off.

Just up for a few minutes now, or I'd search it out some more.
I was falling asleep at the keyboard too.

I came across some DM9 modules. I ended up writing Bruce from RCModelReviews too. So now I've got a little more research to do. Hopefully someone out there has some real hands-on knowledge of this.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I believe I've heard that rumor before (maybe on FB) and if it is true I might go that route instead of what we are "torn" to do now. If anyone has any knowledge of this rumored module, especially any experience with it, I am very very interested.
Spektrum modules does not seem to be that smart. They are rather expensive unless you need 9 channels. You will not get the unique feature model match. I would recommend a cheaper DX6 and a Turnigy 9 if you want to be comaptible with ParkZone BNF and still need 9 channels.

flyingbiscuit

I have had a DX5e, DX6i, and DX7. The DX7 I bought used (since they no longer make them) and I like it so much more than the DX6i. The best part about it is a Lipo battery pack for it cost me about $15 dollars from HK and I can fly a couple of days a week for a month before I have to recharge it. I like the programming options better, easier and more intuitive for me. Plus Hobbyking has the OrangeRX DSM2 receivers that are very inexpensive and work great. I have 12 airplanes with the little 6 channel receivers and two with the bigger 9 channel ones. I have never had any problems with them, range or otherwise.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
The module swap on the tx9 is apparently not so straightforward....There is a wire connecting it to the antenna. Can be done
though with a bit of soldering

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The new module is going to come with it's own antenna anyway so you want to remove the original one. If you don't plan on using the Turnigy module anymore, just snip the antenna wire and remove it.

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
Have you ever considered the Turnigy 9X? I have a friend with two of these and he has had no problems at all and is very happy with them.

RC Dad

Well - I have been away for a while and just getting back to read the post. Thanks for all of the additional advice and feedback.

I have been doing research on my own and have not yet made a decision. Now leaning toward the Hi-tec Aurora 9 system. More features than I need now, but seems a good value (for feature set) compared to Spektrum.

Thinking the Turnigy 9X could be a fun project for the me and the boys. However, I am very concerned we would end up bricking the thing...

Although I have not made a decision, my quest for a TX has really helped educate me on the whole hobby. The research continues...:)

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I have a DSMX 6i and it works perfectly in DSMX mode with the cheapest HK DSM2 receiver.
i dont think that the orange receivers are able to "recieve" DSMX modulation.. the dsmx TX probably only works like a dsm2 transmitter when you bind it with a dsm2 RX... and you don't have telemetry in those orange thins either...

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
i dont think that the orange receivers are able to "recieve" DSMX modulation.. the dsmx TX probably only works like a dsm2 transmitter when you bind it with a dsm2 RX... and you don't have telemetry in those orange thins either...
True. But probably the DSMX mode in the DX8 would be the same--DSM2 and X

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Telemetry and DSM are different things.
You need a special Telemetry transmitter (TM1000) in the plane to get the live data back to your TX (or your smartphone with a gadget).
There are older DSM2 recievers (AR7000) compatible with Telemetry - not only DSMX.
I do not think that all new smaller AR6xxx DSMX receivers are compatible with Telemetry.

The superior is that Spektrum has made the new DSMX tecnology compatible with DSM2.
I can still use my DX8 with my old DSM2 Receivers and suppose it is the other way to but i have not testad that.
When binding a new DX Transmitter to a receiver, the TX negotiates and find if it is DSM DSM2 och DSMX and also the speed and resolution of the receiver.

The conclusion may be that you can use the orange or any AR6xxx in the normal flying if you dont need any extra but if you are flying extreme models or in extreme environments then you will probably choose a high end receiver with more antennas and perhaps the X-technology.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
The DXe is an interesting concept, but I would never want to pull my phone out to change any settings.

I have a DX9, have had it now for about 3 years. Boy, what a radio! One of the gimbal springs came off mid-flight giving me quite the scare, but I wouldn't disregard this radio for that alone, as I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. It's voice alerts are absolutely fantastic- you can create pre-flight checklists, read out telemetry, and say pretty much any RC related phrase whenever you need it to. I just use it for timers, and to speak the flight modes for my T-Copter. The SD card is also something great, as it lets you update firmware, add custom sound effects, transfer and back up model files (of which, you can just about have an infinite amount of), etc. Unlike the 6i, its screen is a higher resolution and is backlit. The extra pixels let it show graphs and displays of channel activity, and mixing logic. Most of this stuff is included with some of the newer radios, but when I bought it it was better than the 6i, and reportedly even the 18 even though it has 2x the channels. I guess just because the features are worth more to most people.

I would start with the CHEAPEST radio that you think won't immediately limit your flying experience. That way, you feel much better buying any other brand, model or type of radio that you like better later on.