Trying to make a flying wing

GWP

First time making an RC plane but id like it to be able to take off, have a camera, a small payload bay, and the ability for the legs to retract(2m wingspan). Now I am aware that it's not a smart idea to make this complex plane the first time, but I would like a recommendation on what software to use? I plan to make a smaller version first before I make a larger one.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I built the Versa wing and although I had a few trials and tribulations with the first few flights, it ended up a pretty good flier.
Its referred to as the Versa wing because it can be tractor or pusher.
The choice is up to you: I went tractor because I get the option of a detachable landing gear, the power pod design allows for easy launches too. With a pusher design you have the option for a camera in the nose and flying FPV.
There is a free plan available to download, which you can scale up to whatever size you want.
However, with all your requirements I would go for an ARTF model and stick a flight controller in too, I suggest the Opterra 2m wing.

Last edited:
Yeah and most of us find that the first couple times out to learn to fly are really challenging without having to deal with computers and FPV and a flying wing and retracts and all the rest. (But you already said you know it's not a smart idea.) ;)

After not being able to fly a plane more than 6 feet without ending in a giant fireball, I decided there was only ONE objective right now. Do what I need to do to actually fly. So I designed a simple trainer and got up & flying real quick.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
First time making an RC plane but id like it to be able to take off, have a camera, a small payload bay, and the ability for the legs to retract(2m wingspan). Now I am aware that it's not a smart idea to make this complex plane the first time, but I would like a recommendation on what software to use? I plan to make a smaller version first before I make a larger one.
You may want to watch this as your interested in flying wings, which are predominantly pusher style.
Coincidentally its the Opterra again (the beginning is the important part please take notice).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My pal Bill has one of these wings, although I have never got to see. He mentioned to me a while ago about the danger of the prop on that model.
I was a bit nervous the first time I hand launched my Vulcan, it may be a smaller wingspan than the Opterra but no less dangerous.
Having been bitten in the past by a rotating electric driven prop, I am always wary now. I was really lucky, it was just mild nerve damage no severed tendons or permanent damage. It still hurt like hell though and I needed hospital treatment. I had to wait for my son to get home from school, so he could change the gears on the car, while we drove there LOL :cry::LOL::cry::ROFLMAO:

Hoomi

Master member
Echoing what FlyingBrit said on the Versawing. My coworker gave me the SBK for it last year, and I built it during the quaratine. I'd never flown a wing before, and was just a tad apprehensive about that maiden, but after a little fine tuning on the reflex, rates, and expo, she's a solid, reliable flying plane. I usually drop my throttle setting to around half after take-off and climb-out, and just enjoy cruising around with her. She's large enough to carry a camera, be nicely visible in the air, but still compact enough to transport easily in the average automobile.

I built mine tractor configuration, added a pair of aluminum rod skids to help protect the battery on the landings, and get around 8 minutes of flight time, with sufficient battery for an extra go-round or two, using a 3S 2200 mAh LiPo.