*Unofficial* FT Goblin

EDinCT

Just finished mine. Fun build. If the weather cooperates It will maiden tomorrow. I made STL files for the plywood parts if anyone is interested.
Using a 2204 2300kV on a 5x4.5 since I have a few laying around .
IMG_8082.JPG
IMG_8083.JPG

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I own one of the actual Strix Nano Goblins, and the thing is crazy fast and flies for what feels like FOREVER on the LiFe batteries.

Gotta get some more props for it, though; I bent one of them last time I took it out.

EDinCT

Wow! What a great plane. First flight was a little shaky with no expo and high rates and it needed a bit of up elevator. But with 30% expo it flies like it’s on rails. Very happy. I’m thinking of scaling this one up a bit. Tonight I’ll try some FPV and if it works out I’ll upload some video.

Yayat

I flew it twice last weekend and I really love it, planning on making another one very soon. Here is flight video

Couple of picture
IMG_20180825_165346.jpg IMG_20180825_165415.jpg IMG_20180825_165258.jpg IMG_20180825_165258.jpg

Edwardchew

Wow! What a great plane. First flight was a little shaky with no expo and high rates and it needed a bit of up elevator. But with 30% expo it flies like it’s on rails. Very happy. I’m thinking of scaling this one up a bit. Tonight I’ll try some FPV and if it works out I’ll upload some video.
I want a bigger one too. Do share how it goes

jaredstrees

Have had mine ready to maiden for a week now. Pease please please let it stop raining everyday! I am getting out of work early today, and if it isn't raining I'm flying!

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Been flying mine for a few weeks now. Really love this plane. I too had issues with the reflex that almost left the maiden ending poorly. Kind of disappointed they didn't mention that in the build video at all. Luckily I fly with an awesome group of guys at my club, many of which know flying wings so they helped me out. Here is a picture of mine as well as a 75% scaled down version that I made to fit on a single sheet of foam and is the same size as the strix nano goblin. Planning on trying to nano one on a 1407 just like the strix nano goblin. Working on building a 2s li ion pack for it right now from old laptop batteries.

One other thing I made was a firewall that allowed for removing the motor after the firewall was glued in place. I was afraid if i burn up a motor or ESC I would have to hack the plane up and didn't want to do that. I posted a 3d printed version of the firewall on thingiverse.

Justin
IMG_3607.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Yayat

Been flying mine for a few weeks now. Really love this plane. I too had issues with the reflex that almost left the maiden ending poorly. Kind of disappointed they didn't mention that in the build video at all. Luckily I fly with an ....
how much reflex are u apply? I use FT mini arrow reflex

w1lp33

I also had to add a ton of reflex to my goblin... Like elevons a half inch or more above the leading edge to keep it from wanting to immediately nose dive.

And that's with it balanced on the cg points, or even a little tail heavy (kept moving battery back to try and see if it would help with the nose diving)

Once I got the reflex set tho she flew great, was just surprised at how much reflex it took.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
With a wing you need to check if the CG is correct by climbing to altitude and cut the motor and try to keep the plane level.

If it bounces the nose up and down as it sinks then the plane is nose heavy. If it slows and starts to become unstable in roll and possibly dropping a wing then the wing is too tail heavy.

Ideally the wing should maintain its level attitude with full up elevons and slowly sink maintaining good roll control authority.

After the proper CG for your build has been determined then you adjust the reflex for level flight with centred trim.

A simple procedure but totally different to conventional aircraft.

have fun!