*Unofficial* FT Spitfire Master Series

Marty72

Elite member
So here's my take on the plane but first some background. I've got over a 100 flights with the std Ft Spitfire. I'm running an oversize motor and prop, and it flies fantastic. (Rimfire 3536 1200 10x7 prop on 3s). The std Spitfire flies fast and is great with the C pack as well, but the Rimfire set up, gives it more speed and a lot more vertical capability. (Btw, the Rimfire w/ 10x7 on a 3s is faster and stronger than the C pack 9x6 on 4s in my experience).

So now the Master Series Spit.......
The maiden was very boring, typical maiden for me (which is the way I like it). I just got the plane up, set the trim and tried to figure out how it acts balance-wise, stall characteristics, land and make adjustments. The hand launch went well, but I could use more throttle as the torque roll was minimal. The wings (lots of area) provide a lot of lift which allows the plane to fly slower than I expected.

So I ran the above Rimfire set up (above) and immediately realized the plane was slow in comparison to the Std FT Spit. So next time, I'm running the 4s with my setup, no question about it. I'll make judgments after that. I snagged the servo for the right aileron belly landing the plane. I can see why, they stick out quite a bit. If this happens again, I'll make adjustments.

CG: so there has been some talk on this thread about the location. I ran 2.5 inch aft of the LE. This works fine, allows the plane to fly very well slow. However, now that I'm going to 4s, with a 10x7 prop, I'm going to move the cg up a tad, as I find faster flying and forward cg go together.

That's about it.

Marty72

Elite member
After conversing with Apple Pie, I made some changes. 3536 w/10x5 APC, 4S.

I ran one battery through today, much improved but it still needs more IMO. So I'm going to order a 3642 1080 and give that a try, along with some 11 inch props.

The plane flew great today, a little slow but much more to my liking, vertical improved. The 2.25 cg was a hit and the hand launch was near perfect. I also improved the landing, but the ground is less than ideal. It's a very stable plane (I'm flying on high rates). Something else I noticed, the plane doesn't automatically climb going from low throttle to full throttle, nice to see.

Here's a short clip.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I ran one battery through today, much improved but it still needs more IMO. So I'm going to order a 3642 1080 and give that a try, along with some 11 inch props.

The plane flew great today, a little slow but much more to my liking, vertical improved. The 2.25 cg was a hit and the hand launch was near perfect. I also improved the landing, but the ground is less than ideal. It's a very stable plane (I'm flying on high rates). Something else I noticed, the plane doesn't automatically climb going from low throttle to full throttle, nice to see.

Here's a short clip.

That is definately not a slow plane. You are rockin it on 4s. I might be sold on the 4s for all my standard sized planes

Marty72

Elite member
That is definately not a slow plane. You are rockin it on 4s. I might be sold on the 4s for all my standard sized planes

It's slower than the std spit, as I have it set up (3536) but the MS performed much better today. Today it was flying not floating around. I think there is still more to performance to be had.

Today, I broke the right aileron horn with the landing. Yesterday, I tore the right aileron servo out. Not having good luck with that right side aileron at the field.

Off The Mark

Here's a short clip.

Thanks for the report and for the video. You flew it pretty well; nice and smooth. I agree that it does "look" a bit slow when flying level. I think probably need to get higher and dive down a bit to get some more speed to make it more exciting???. (Still haven't flown mine yet... still thinking of how I am going to restrain the battery better and whether to invest in some sort of servo covers for the aileron servos. Your experience with damage to the servos / horns makes me think I will probably need them).

Marty72

Elite member
Update: I'm much happier with the Master Spitfire now. My new motor arrived, but still waiting on the props for the 3542 (really late). So lost patience and ran a 11x7 APC prop on the new Leopard 3542 1080 , 3S , 60 amp esc. That flew very well, much closer to what I'm use to (regular ft spit). Speed and climb rates much better. Next I ran it with 4s, (knowing I was pressing the current limits of the motor), so I was mindful of my throttle usage, very short WOT periods. That was amazing, didn't need much throttle to fly fast, but the vertical with 4s was amazing. Not sure I need or want to run it that hot. It still flies stable with that setup to my surprise. The biggest downside was landing, it's almost impossible to land with the prop running (just don't have the sensitivity w/ 4s near shut off), so I had to land dead stick.

So now I'm trying to decided whether I want to buy 4s 3000-4000 or 3s 3000-4000. The battery (2200 mah 3 &4 s)is only good for about 5 minutes (today) and I think that will only get worse as I fly more WOT. The 3s is a much better price and I can use it on all of my ft planes, where as the 4s 3000+ would be this plane only. Not really a problem, I just need to make a decision. Maybe both.

The weak spot on this design is the aileron servos and horns take a lot of abuse on landings. I now inspect them after every flight, they just really stick out. I may use some fb to make a guard to try and protect them, but I really hate to do that.

BTW, this thing hand launches better than all my other ft planes. Just amazing, makes it look like you know what you are doing.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Update: I'm much happier with the Master Spitfire now. My new motor arrived, but still waiting on the props for the 3542 (really late). So lost patience and ran a 11x7 APC prop on the new Leopard 3542 1080 , 3S , 60 amp esc. That flew very well, much closer to what I'm use to (regular ft spit). Speed and climb rates much better. Next I ran it with 4s, (knowing I was pressing the current limits of the motor), so I was mindful of my throttle usage, very short WOT periods. That was amazing, didn't need much throttle to fly fast, but the vertical with 4s was amazing. Not sure I need or want to run it that hot. It still flies stable with that setup to my surprise. The biggest downside was landing, it's almost impossible to land with the prop running (just don't have the sensitivity w/ 4s near shut off), so I had to land dead stick.

So now I'm trying to decided whether I want to buy 4s 3000-4000 or 3s 3000-4000. The battery (2200 mah 3 &4 s)is only good for about 5 minutes (today) and I think that will only get worse as I fly more WOT. The 3s is a much better price and I can use it on all of my ft planes, where as the 4s 3000+ would be this plane only. Not really a problem, I just need to make a decision. Maybe both.

The weak spot on this design is the aileron servos and horns take a lot of abuse on landings. I now inspect them after every flight, they just really stick out. I may use some fb to make a guard to try and protect them, but I really hate to do that.

BTW, this thing hand launches better than all my other ft planes. Just amazing, makes it look like you know what you are doing.

My spit loves 3000mAh 4s balances out great and 8mins flight with plenty V’s left when you land ?

Bigeard

Hey pilots
shes Getting there 😍 nav lights are in although the red and green wingtips are wrong way round,
1st layers of paint down on her, waiting for C pack motor to arrive, 2x 4s 3000 batteries arrived today
once the power train is in I’ll finish off the paint scheme and add the panel lines then it’s finish up with some decals and pilot number and she’s good to rip up the skies
new camera arrived also so hopefully get some on board footage for the maiden in couple weeks when I get home 🎮💫✈️💥🔥😍

Hi shadyB ,
Still looking into all aspects of the build specs and other peoples mods before going ahead with whichever model I finally decide on ! Didnt realise you had the Spitfire which together with danbobs post has now made the choice harder for me between the Corsair and the Spitfire !!
I know your views on the painting and varnishing of these master build models and when danbob stated on his spitfire buils that he had glassed the surface of the airframe before painting , does that mean he primed it ? He also said it added around 100g to 150g of weight I assume this would not affect its flying capabilities ? As the RC flying would be new to me , in your opinion which of the two planes would be easier to fly and control ?
Thanks for any help.
M

Bigeard

Hey pilots
shes Getting there 😍 nav lights are in although the red and green wingtips are wrong way round,
1st layers of paint down on her, waiting for C pack motor to arrive, 2x 4s 3000 batteries arrived today
once the power train is in I’ll finish off the paint scheme and add the panel lines then it’s finish up with some decals and pilot number and she’s good to rip up the skies
new camera arrived also so hopefully get some on board footage for the maiden in couple weeks when I get home 🎮💫✈️💥🔥😍
Forgot to ask you shadyB , is it easy enough to order the FT Spinner which fits over the props ?

Marty72

Elite member
Spitfire is the easiest Master Series to build and great flier (not difficult to fly). The plane out glides anything I've ever flown. If you haven't built a foam board plane before, not sure you want to start with a master series build. The regular FT Spitfire is a great flier and good experience before going to the master series. It will require a fraction of the time to build. It's free, print out the plans and go buy three dollars in foam board and two dollars of poster board. The easiest Master series plane to fly is the P 38, no torque roll on hand launch, but it's also the most difficult of the Master Series to build of the 3 I've built, (Spit, P 51, P 38). I don't know your experience level, I'm assuming you already are flying and fairly comfortable doing so, if not, start with a beginner plane.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hi shadyB ,
Still looking into all aspects of the build specs and other peoples mods before going ahead with whichever model I finally decide on ! Didnt realise you had the Spitfire which together with danbobs post has now made the choice harder for me between the Corsair and the Spitfire !!
I know your views on the painting and varnishing of these master build models and when danbob stated on his spitfire buils that he had glassed the surface of the airframe before painting , does that mean he primed it ? He also said it added around 100g to 150g of weight I assume this would not affect its flying capabilities ? As the RC flying would be new to me , in your opinion which of the two planes would be easier to fly and control ?
Thanks for any help.
M
wont affect flying other than thrust ratio by adding more weight to the plane
both fly amazing and it’s hard to choose but I would say Spit as it’s my favourite all time warbird
Forgot to ask you shadyB , is it easy enough to order the FT Spinner which fits over the props ?
I never ordered FT spinner I used my own

Bigeard

both fly amazing and it’s hard to choose but I would say Spit as it’s my favourite all time warbird

I really like both aircraft and if anything it might be the smaller wingspan that wins the day ( Corsair). but still dont know what to go for . Anyway it appears that most or all UK stockists are out of stock , possibly until March next year ! I would really like to try and make a decent job of having detachable wings if I could somehow design a way of rearranging the frame on the corsair without damaging the whole project and without adding too much extra weight .
M

Bigeard

Hello shadyB , after doing quite a bit of research and listening to everyones advice and as this is my first foam build, I am deciding to go with the slightly smaller FT Spitfire speedy build kit and hopefully do a nice paint job on it etc .I intend to do some extra mods by reinforcing certain areas ie nose , wing tips and possibly wing spars but without compromising too much weight . If it turns out ok , I would definitely like to give the master build corsair a shot , thanks for your own personal advice .
M

Marty72

Elite member
Painting tip: Foam board reacts badly to moisture. Apply paint a little at a time, let dry and come back. Put on much less than you think you can. Experiment with a scrap piece of foam and see what happens. Preferred paint: Rustoleum 2x.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Painting tip: Foam board reacts badly to moisture. Apply paint a little at a time, let dry and come back. Put on much less than you think you can. Experiment with a scrap piece of foam and see what happens. Preferred paint: Rustoleum 2x.

Word. Especially when it's cold.

Bigeard

Hi Marty72 , understand the point you make regarding foamboard and moisture but do you think that would still apply if a coating of polyurethane varnish was applied first to the paper covered board (FT speed build kit) , let it dry completely then start a paint job , then another layer of the varnish to protect ?
Thanks