*Unofficial* FT Tutor

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
In case you missed it on the last podcast, or the social media posts, the FT Tutor plans will be made available to FTCA Air Crew members only in the November newsletter which should be arriving tomorrow (November 12). If you want access to the plans, you need to sign up for Air Crew before the newsletter is sent.
Shoot!!!!
Let's hope I haven't missed it...

chris398mx

Master member
In case you missed it on the last podcast, or the social media posts, the FT Tutor plans will be made available to FTCA Air Crew members only in the November newsletter which should be arriving tomorrow (November 12). If you want access to the plans, you need to sign up for Air Crew before the newsletter is sent.

Has anyone received the newsletter yet? Still a no for me.

scuzzi911

I received the newsletter about 1/2 hour ago. I upgraded to air crew earlier this week, but no Tutor plans. Hopefully it was just a mix up of what version of the newsletter I got. Emailed support and waiting to hear back

Spitfire76

I received the newsletter yesterday and it did have the Tutor Plans so looks like my upgrade from Ground Crew to Air Crew at the beginning of November did work. There was no online way to upgrade but logging a support ticket did the trick. Also glad to hear that the FTCA will simplify the membership starting next year by just having 2 tiers - free and payed

loldev

I have the plans, is someone able to tell me what the difference between A and B? Is it different paper sizes or plane sizes?

Draftman1

A is 8 1/2" x 11"
B is 11" x 17"

its just a way to use less paper and less taping the plans sheets together

Winglet

Got my Tutor completed and in the air today. Mine is using the standard wing and an older C pack motor on 3s. What a sweet flying airplane! The maiden flight was a little action packed as it flew a little tail heavy in my opinion balanced precisely on the balance holes. Also had the hatch blow off at high altitude but found that. So... moved the battery forward so it balanced 1/4 inch ahead of the indicated balance point and used a rubber band to make sure the hatch stayed on. The next flight was MUCH better! I messed around a lot with differential aileron throws to get much nicer roll input. I'm using 100 percent throw on the raised aileron and 44 percent throw on the lowered aileron. Really helped with the adverse yaw and flys sweet now.

You will note that I added flaps. They work well and are lots of fun to play with. People told me the airplane looks a lot like a Tundra. Indeed it flys very much like one.

I wrapped up the day when it got dark. By then I had flown almost 20 packs ranging from 1350mah to 2200mah. The airplane didn't fly much different with any of them.

Comparisons are being made to the FT Simple Cub. I have the Cub. The darn thing ends up on it's nose on most landings. Made dozens of landings with my Tutor today on grass and not one nose over. The airplane flys MUCH better than the Cub. I will probably never fly my Cub again. FT has a winner here!

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Got my Tutor completed and in the air today. Mine is using the standard wing and an older B pack motor on 3s. What a sweet flying airplane! The maiden flight was a little action packed as it flew a little tail heavy in my opinion balanced precisely on the balance holes. Also had the hatch blow off at high altitude but found that. So... moved the battery forward so it balanced 1/4 inch ahead of the indicated balance point and used a rubber band to make sure the hatch stayed on. The next flight was MUCH better! I messed around a lot with differential aileron throws to get much nicer roll input. I'm using 100 percent throw on the raised aileron and 44 percent throw on the lowered aileron. Really helped with the adverse yaw and flys sweet now.

You will note that I added flaps. They work well and are lots of fun to play with. People told me the airplane looks a lot like a Tundra. Indeed it flys very much like one.

I wrapped up the day when it got dark. By then I had flown almost 20 packs ranging from 1350mah to 2200mah. The airplane didn't fly much different with any of them.

Comparisons are being made to the FT Simple Cub. I have the Cub. The darn thing ends up on it's nose on most landings. Made dozens of landings with my Tutor today on grass and not one nose over. The airplane flys MUCH better than the Cub. I will probably never fly my Cub again. FT has a winner here!
Excellent info, @Winglet! Thx, brother!

Byrdman

Good morning! Nice looking plane, @Winglet !!

Can anyone give me the fuse length and the width, LE to TE, of the wing? I'm thinking of shrinking down a Legacy to the approx dimensions of the Tutor and see what happens.

Spitfire76

In the process of a scratch build of the FT Tutor and after building the left wing I see that where the wing will join the right wing the top and bottom are not flush - should they be ?. I could understand if the bottom extends out a little from the top as to leave a small gap for the dihedral but with mine its the opposite as its top that extends out.

Byrdman

In the process of a scratch build of the FT Tutor and after building the left wing I see that where the wing will join the right wing the top and bottom are not flush - should they be ?. I could understand if the bottom extends out a little from the top as to leave a small gap for the dihedral but with mine its the opposite as its top that extends out.

You must have received the Harrier wing edition plans:)

All kidding aside, did you watch the build video on YT? I have not seen all of them, but that may help

cbf123

Are you sure you're not looking at it upside-down? (Just checking...)

Spitfire76

Are you sure you're not looking at it upside-down? (Just checking...)
No, its definitely the top skin of the wing that is protruding out rather than the bottom. It seems that the leading edge is not exactly parallel with the trailing edge so maybe my cutting precision is not that great.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
No, its definitely the top skin of the wing that is protruding out rather than the bottom. It seems that the leading edge is not exactly parallel with the trailing edge so maybe my cutting precision is not that great.
The plans do have a gap designed between the wings for dihedral, so I would print that section of the plans, lay them on the wings, and try to cut the lines for dihedral again.