Using a GoPro on a Storch

wbvike

SO I finally built the Storch, but have yet to maiden due to weather. Although i did take it out to my driveway and goosed the throttle and she pretty much got lift without any elevon input! So I have a little key fob camera attached to the nose, but i want some better quality video and thought about making a mount for the gopro to sit on within the landing gear. Has anyone attached a gopro to their storch? If so, any issues with it flying smoothly? I would think it could carry the extra weight no problem, but i could be wrong?? Below is the finished product:

Storch1.JPG
Thanks

jsknockoff

Mentor
It will have no problem with the weight. Can't imagine the drag would be significant from the GoPro either.

Swimjim

I have an Intova camera which is like a Gopro and I mount it on top of the wing with velcro and I use the wings rubber bands for extra support. This holds the camera directly over the CG and does not effect the flight much. Mounting the camera underneath would make sense for me though as my Storch usually winds up upside down at landing. Ha.

wbvike

Mounting the camera underneath would make sense for me though as my Storch usually winds up upside down at landing. Ha.

Too funny!! Question, when you mount the gopro, are you putting it in one of the enclosures or letting it be free and naked...ha I had planned to put mine in one of the enclosures just in case things don't go as planned and i break the camera. I now these things are tough, but.....

wbvike

The GoPro works fine with the Storch hardly know it's there.
Nice build by the way. View attachment 67501

Sweet, nice set up! Once i get the maiden out of the way, i'll then attach the camera and see how it goes. I like the paint scheme you have you yours. I try to wait to add colors or anything to mine in case the maiden doesn't quit go as planned....

And thank you.

No problem between the landing gear, either.

You can see I mounted a GoPro clone (Woow Freedom) to the underside using a foamboard and plywood mount to angle it down (you can see it in the wing camera view of the attached video). The camera is attached to the plywood on the mount using the tripod screw. The whole assembly is held in place between the landing gear by rubber bands, but I also have a tether to secure it to the Storch (just in case).

Because the camera is mostly protected by the landing gear, I decided to go without the case and save some weight. I've had more than a few rough landings and have had no problem with the camera getting damaged.

Mounting it at the c/g is also nice, so you don't have to change the balance at all. And mounting it below vs. above the center line doesn't harm your stability at all.

Last edited:

wbvike

Thanks for the info. I will most likely mount it between the landing gear. I was going to try and use the camera to help give it some more nose weight. I have the 3200mah as far forward as it can go and it doesn't seem to be nose heavy enough...at least for me.

I like Snoopy, might have to steal your idea and do that! I've actually seen your video before, what happened with it cutting out on you?

Turns out it was a bad ESC. After playing with it, I could make it cut out by tapping on it or trying to flex it. I guess as it got warm, there was some expansion that caused the board to flex, making the connection drop out intermittently. I retired that piece of equipment and now use it for the BEC part only to supply power to my servo tester for bench work.