Vectored thrust compatibility?

mtorcyclst

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldnt find anything on this question: Does the slot in mid-engine planes such as the Vector allow enough clearance to use the vectored thrust firewall accessory in the yaw axis? IT looks to me like there would be very little clearance.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That prop space can always be opened up. The thing to consider is how will the change in thrust line rotate the plane around the CG. on the pusher prop jets like the Vector, the engine is very close to the CG and will have a small rotational arm no matter how angled it is. so the change in thrust line may have smaller effect.

As you are working in the YAW only axis, cut a bow tie shape out and give it a try, remember to tape it and we all get to learn.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
To expand a touch on the physics . . .

As foamyDM pointed out, yaw will have almost no lever arm . . . but it will have every bit of the motor torque. You'll find both the shift in the thrust angle and the gyroscopic effects of twisting the torque will generate a rather nasty roll/pitch coupling in with the very mild yaw.

BTDT. It didn't make for a "fun" flying experience . . . but by all means, play with it if you like -- precession is a rather interesting effect . . . but try it a good number of mistakes high :eek:

mtorcyclst

Good advice all around. I think I will abort the vectored thrust mid-engine idea and just try to reproduce the mini-kraken with differential thrust for the insane flat spins. Thanks all!