Versa Wing DLG??

Gordie

I haven't built the Versa Wing yet and was turned on to the idea of DLG by the videos posted of Josh and Dave flying them. I'm wondering if the Versa Wing could be set up as a DLG or would it not be up to handling the stresses? I've never tried DLG only glider experience is with a high-start and slope soaring.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Try it and find out?

I've dabbled in trying to build a DLG a little bit, and if you have some sort of peg to launch with, you have to have that peg a lot more secured than you'd think. Even with the Alula that David added a peg to he used epoxy and fiber glass to hold it in place. I tried a bamboo BBQ skewer as a peg and it didn't take long for it to snap in half. You'll need a thicker wooden dowel for the peg. But maybe build a Versa Wing and just pinch the wing tip when throwing it. You actually get a lot less force when pinching it, and I'm sure that the Versa Wing could handle that. But to really get it in the air you'll need a peg, but I really don't know if it would handle that without some sort of spar.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The tip plates would need to be modified In order to grab the tip like that anyway.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The tip plates would need to be modified In order to grab the tip like that anyway.

I forgot about the tip plates. I need to learn to look at what I'm talking about. Maybe make the spar longer and have it stick out from the wing tips. But use something stronger than foam board. Like carbon fiber, or a wooden dowel, or an arrow shaft. If you have the spar in firmly enough, then you could add a peg to it and actually launch it as a DLG because the spar would, hopefully, take all of the force. Hey, I did use an aluminum arrow shaft as a spar onto a single sheet of foam board and launch that as a DLG, and that didn't break.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
A reinforced spar that extends out the tip plates should work well...
Don't feel bad about missing the tip plates, I only caught it because my Versa happened to be sitting behind me when I was reading your post, and I spun around to look at it and then had my own "doh!" moment...