Just saying hi

CthulhuJon

Hello out there!
I'm a semi-newbie from UK living in LA, just getting back into the hobby, due to covid lockdown....
I built a few balsa gliders when I was a kid.... fast forward many years later, I decided to build something...
I saw a video of Josh, ridge-soaring a versa wing.... and decided that I wanted to do that !

Goals are to increase my knowledge, build some planes without breaking the bank, and find somewhere to try some ridge soaring in or near LA, mabye meet some like-minded people :)

...first few planes I built... FT-Versa wing as glider, covered in monokote. ~600g
and below... "Talula" balsa, bamboo, tissue and carbon, flying plank. ~ 250g 90cm span
further below... "Floppy bird" balsa, carbon and tissue wingeron... still in progress. ~ 130g 90 cm span
I'm hoping to slope soar these... soon..

6B14A8EA-7E38-4B12-885A-9EA41D13EAA7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9F992A5A-2761-4F2F-AB0A-CE9D47079053.jpeg
    9F992A5A-2761-4F2F-AB0A-CE9D47079053.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 7ACBB06A-ADCC-4F43-A05F-CB54CCEA5539.jpeg
    7ACBB06A-ADCC-4F43-A05F-CB54CCEA5539.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello out there!
I'm a semi-newbie from UK living in LA, just getting back into the hobby, due to covid lockdown....
I build a few balsa gliders when I was a kid.... fast forward many years later, to now. Decided to build something...
I saw a video of Josh, ridge-soaring a versa wing.... and decided that I wanted to do that !

Goals are to increase my knowledge, build some planes without breaking the bank, and find somewhere to try some ridge soaring in or near LA, mabye mee tsome like-minded people :)
Sounds like a perfect plan. Welcome friend.
Be careful, it's a bottomless pit...

CthulhuJon

hehe, I might be ok with that, but my wife might not be....
Where do you put all the planes? or do they eventually all end up at the great airport in the sky? .. crashed...

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Last edited:
A lot of people need to buy a house with a bigger basement! I try not to let them be too precious so I can throw one out when I have one too many. It helps if you can remember it's just a toy you made out of craft supplies. :D

CthulhuJon

A lot of people need to buy a house with a bigger basement! I try not to let them be too precious so I can throw one out when I have one too many. It helps if you can remember it's just a toy you made out of craft supplies. :D

That sounds like a good attitude. i got a small solid hand chuck glider stuck in a tree recently, and figured some kid would find it and have fun with it.
Maybe passing old planes onto kids might be a good way to let a few go occasionally.
I didn’t reach that point yet. 4 larger models and two small chuck-gliders.