Versacopter 2.0 shaked and crashed on maiden flight any help please!!!

Hello everyone,

I need some help please. So I just bought the Versacopter 2.0 with power pack E, along with the Naze32 rev6 all from Flitetest. I followed the build video and the other Naze32 rev6 setup video. Everything seamed to go well no issues during build. I Did all the PID tuning as per the video. Set up all the cotrols and I thought I was great. I setup all the props and double checked that everything was on correct. I took it for the maiden flight. I was able to get it hover about 4 feet off the ground no problem. as soon as I rolled to the left the whole quad started to shake slow at first then got faster and faster. I tried to lower the throttle and bring it down but it just flipped upside down and went straight into the ground and the throttle shot up on its own. I guess it was trying to level out, It hit the ground hard, the props exploded, and motors got all chewed up (I was on cement at the time so I can get a level take off). I hit the throttle cut, picked up the pieces, and now i'm back to the drawing board. Only problem is i'm not sure what went wrong. All the props and motors where turning in the correct way. I guess the problem must be something in the PID but if I used the same settings as Josh with the same power pack then how could that be? Any Idea what went wrong? I was in angle mode at the time FYI, Thanks for looking any advice is really appreciated. I have built several quads in the past but this is my first Versacopter and my first Naze32 Rev6 so I'm lost.

Last edited:

Darkback2

Sorry this happened to you.

Before I reply I need to warn you that I may be way off because I have no experience with the Naze32 specifically.

So I had a similar problem with my quad, and it turned out that even though I thought I had everything correct, I had the ESCs plugged into the wrong ports. This caused the quad to flip over as soon as there was any stick input other than throttle and really "careful" hovering. Once you have things built again, you can try without props just to make sure the right motors throttle up when you give it different stick inputs.

Another issue was that I ended up with the controller mounted backwards the second time around. It worked forwards and backwards ( I had corrected for that in software, but roll made it go crazy...

Best of luck to you.

DB

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The shaking sounds like a PID setting, but the flip seems more like the board orientation offset might have been wrong, or ESCs were plugged into the wrong spaces.

What you can check on the bench... make sure that the correct motors are spinning up when you test them in Cleanflight. Also on the page that shows the digital version of the quad, make sure that when you roll the quad to the left or right, that the model on the computer does the same, likewise for pitch and yaw.

Also, with the props off (ALWAYS with the props off, reminded myself of this lesson last night...) use a strip of tape and fold it in half over the motor prop shafts. Spin up the motors to about 1/4 throttle then try moving the quadcopter. if you roll it to the right, the the right motors should speed up, and left ones should slow down. If this isn't happening, chances are you need to go back and change the orientation of the board.

mtmayhew

Hello everyone,

I need some help please. So I just bought the Versacopter 2.0 with power pack E, along with the Naze32 rev6 all from Flitetest. I followed the build video and the other Naze32 rev6 setup video. Everything seamed to go well no issues during build. I Did all the PID tuning as per the video. Set up all the cotrols and I thought I was great. I setup all the props and double checked that everything was on correct. I took it for the maiden flight. I was able to get it hover about 4 feet off the ground no problem. as soon as I rolled to the left the whole quad started to shake slow at first then got faster and faster. I tried to lower the throttle and bring it down but it just flipped upside down and went straight into the ground and the throttle shot up on its own. I guess it was trying to level out, It hit the ground hard, the props exploded, and motors got all chewed up (I was on cement at the time so I can get a level take off). I hit the throttle cut, picked up the pieces, and now i'm back to the drawing board. Only problem is i'm not sure what went wrong. All the props and motors where turning in the correct way. I guess the problem must be something in the PID but if I used the same settings as Josh with the same power pack then how could that be? Any Idea what went wrong? I was in angle mode at the time FYI, Thanks for looking any advice is really appreciated. I have built several quads in the past but this is my first Versacopter and my first Naze32 Rev6 so I'm lost.

I am having the same issue with the angle mode when i am not in that it flys great i rewatched the video with the naze 32 set up and josh had the same issue with it starting to wobble i think he turned it on that then off and he landed i saw it do the same thing that mine did its the angle pid and i have no idea how to tune the pid for the angle mode. i hope this helps a little with the angle mode.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Also, with the props off (ALWAYS with the props off, reminded myself of this lesson last night...) use a strip of tape and fold it in half over the motor prop shafts. Spin up the motors to about 1/4 throttle then try moving the quadcopter. if you roll it to the right, the the right motors should speed up, and left ones should slow down. If this isn't happening, chances are you need to go back and change the orientation of the board.

Hey Boss..

Is that statement "If you ROLL to the right the right motors will spin faster" correct? To roll right the left motors should be spooling up? Did you mean Yaw right or where you like me thinking about the symptom but talking about the cure?

AndyP57

Hi. I believe what he means is that with the sticks centred, if you physically move the quad in a roll to the right, the right side motors should spool up to try to keep it level. Same goes for nose up / down etc. If you move the stick to the right, yes, the Left motors will accelerate.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the great input. I have been busy and have not had a chance to work on the quad or even check on the post. Thanks I will try them out when I get home tonight after work. I'm going to check the motors first since I'm using a a Spectrum DX6 and Josh in the video was using the Gropner. I'm pretty sure that when I checked on Clean flight all the correct inputs matched. However I was in a bit of a hurry to get it all done so I may have over looked one. After I will check the ESCs other then that I will mess with the PID but I will leave that for last since I'm not the best when it comes to PID tuning all I know is if it is set to high that will make the quad shack.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Also try flying in acro mode. If it does not shake like it did then you know it is a level PID issue. You're going to want to tune the PIDs for acro/rate mode first anyways.

mtmayhew

Also try flying in acro mode. If it does not shake like it did then you know it is a level PID issue. You're going to want to tune the PIDs for acro/rate mode first anyways.

can you point me in the direction on the angle mode pid tuning or point me in the direction of the pid tuning values of the naze32 versacopter v2
thanks
Mt

So just wanted to add an update. Finally had a chance to get around to working on my quad. I dropped the Horizon mode sensitivity from 9 to 5 and that worked. I may tweak it a bit more but for now I'm just happy that I can take it out this weekend and get some flying in. Thanks for all the great input.

RayW

A buddy of mine had the same shaking issue, he changed his P value to 3.5 I believe he said and it fixed the shaking. He's running a different setup than the power pack though.