Versacopter motor mount CNC replacement

Dippeggs

I've had my versacopter for almost a month now. I love it, but my biggest complaint is the motor mount plates. They're far to easy to crack.

Like this!
idY6frz.jpg

So while looking to buy replacements on the Flite test store, I saw these. Unfortunatly they're not for sale, as of yet.

https://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-aluminum-upgrade-coming-soon/

But need these now! So I thought I'd just make my own instead.

Here's the 3D Solidworks model. I used the pictures from the store as a reference, and took measurements from my versacopter
FGc4ICF.jpg

Some toolpaths and plastic chunks later...
4W8v8mt.jpg

My MDF Test piece.
30G8yrZ.jpg

Finally, fitted on the copter itself!
BqLolVl.jpg

It's WAAAY tighter and stronger than those plastics pieces! Unfortunately I don't have a enough plastic to make 7 more pieces, but I definitely will be getting some to finish everything.

FT guys, if you see this I'm sorry I basically copied your mounts 1 to 1, but they worked fantastically

Dippeggs

I wanted something to completly replace the motor disk plate. The grip is extremely tight with the two pieces which is what I wanted but because the old plates moved too much for me.

dizzane

Any updates on the FT mounts? I see they were pulled from the store.... Mine broke before I even had the chance to fly it.

BankNYank!

Mentor
I wanted something to completly replace the motor disk plate. The grip is extremely tight with the two pieces which is what I wanted but because the old plates moved too much for me.

It looks like they would grip good! I'd love to hear how the finished product works out for you!

Dippeggs

Any updates on the FT mounts? I see they were pulled from the store.... Mine broke before I even had the chance to fly it.

Would you look at that, they are gone!

I'll be honest, they priced them for $30, but I'd think that wouldn't even cover the material cost for aluminum. Or maybe they're having trouble making them
I wanted to try aluminum on my CNC, but I dont have any proper bits for cooling for it.

It looks like they would grip good! I'd love to hear how the finished product works out for you!

Thank you, I'm waiting for more plastic in the mail now. I'll be sure to film me cutting it next time.

Last edited:

Dippeggs

Well, this is awkward. I got my plastic in today, and guess what is finally put up for sale, cheaper than my plastic material alone.:D

Swanno

That is awkward. At least you can use your plastic for another project though?

I had the same problem with the motor mounts but never actually cracked one completely. The first thing I actually broke on my versa copter was a carbon fiber boom...

I was going to order some replacements in December but Josh made some mention about aluminium parts in a video, I can't remember which one. So I waited for them to come out. The only problem with doing that is I've had to wait to fly the versa copter again.

top.PNG

Last edited:

Swanno

You guys are crashing even harder than me, breaking the booms? Dang!

It was the only thing I did break and it occurred with a bad take off around 50 cm off the ground. I think my carbon fiber boom was faulty in some way... I've been flying planes in the meantime while I wait for replacements to arrive with the upgrade kit.

Thank you for the advice. To prevent any issues with range in the future I will change it to match Josh's and move them (I'm using a diversity receiver) to above the Quads body which should prevent any issues from arising when I get good and start flying further away.

Last edited: