Video and Transmitter Frequencies in Norway

ThorTheGodKiller

Hey, every other summer I go back to Norway to visit family and this year I was planning on bringing my quad with FPV setup on it and was wondering if anyone has had experience with what is frequencies are legal to fly there? I have looked around online and have been getting mixed results. I know you have to get a permit for any aerial photography/videography regardless of what it is for but I was mainly wondering if I could run 2.4 Ghz on my transmitter and 900 Mhz or 5.8 Ghz on my FPV setup and if anyone actually enforces the permit rule.

bjornendre

You dont need a permit for aerial photography for private use. They opened it up for everyone as a trial, so now everyone can take aerial photos and video in Norway. It may be that its still legal for foreigners? Dont know. If you upload the video, just say it was your norwegian family who was filming. :D

And frequencies: Do NOT use 900Mhz in Norway!
You can use your 2.4 radio and 5.8 video without problems. The only limit is 25mw on 5.8... Thats whats legal... 1.3 Ghz video is legal if you have a license I think.

And what do most norwegian use? Well... 2.4 radio and 5.8 600mw is most used, or 433 radio and 1.3 ghz video.
I dont think anyone will arrest you for using those frequencies. :D If you can read norwegian you can go to fpv.no and get more infor and better answer there. :D

ThorTheGodKiller

From Google http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_05/art_05-027/laender/NOR.pdf (2005)

By the Way, my name means "Thor's Protector".

Thurmond

Ok thank you, my actual name is Torstein which mean "Thor Rock" or "God of Rock and Thunder"

You dont need a permit for aerial photography for private use. They opened it up for everyone as a trial, so now everyone can take aerial photos and video in Norway. It may be that its still legal for foreigners? Dont know. If you upload the video, just say it was your norwegian family who was filming. :D

And frequencies: Do NOT use 900Mhz in Norway!
You can use your 2.4 radio and 5.8 video without problems. The only limit is 25mw on 5.8... Thats whats legal... 1.3 Ghz video is legal if you have a license I think.

And what do most norwegian use? Well... 2.4 radio and 5.8 600mw is most used, or 433 radio and 1.3 ghz video.
I dont think anyone will arrest you for using those frequencies. :D If you can read norwegian you can go to fpv.no and get more infor and better answer there. :D

Thank you very much, not sure if I would be completely considered a foreigner, I was born there and moved to the US and I still technically have my citizenship in Norway. Also I'm just curious why it is such a bad thing to use 900 Mhz, is it specifically for government use or is there something else with it? Thanks again for the response.

Last edited:

bjornendre

If you still have your norwegian citizenship you will be fine, but the trial period ends this year, so I dont know about 2015. My guess is that they will extend the period. Just dont fly over resticted areas, like military instalations and so on. But that may be obvious? The 900mhz frequenzy is as C172ae used for mobile phones and some other stuff, so thats a big no no! :D

As to the limit to 25mw on 5.8... Well.. No comments. :)

Last edited: