Voltage Alarm settings

CHSFlite

I'm using a kk2.1 board and would like to utilize the low voltage alarm. I'm running 11.2v 2200mah batteries and am looking for alarm threshold setting recommendations. Thx

Joe

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
You can be a little hard on the batteries, nothing devastating, and set it for 100.

You can baby your batteries and set it around 108.

I have mine set at around 106

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
On a multi you usually want a higher setting than you do on a single motor plane since the multi can suck the voltage down so fast. Cybers' recommendation of 106-108 is spot on for good care and feeding of long life lipo's. If you go with a programmable voltage alarm that plugs into the balance port, 3.6-3.8v per cell, is a good place to set it.

dmoores

What alarm? The KK2 or a charging plug LowV buzzer?
This one.

kk2.1.jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Ok.

First make sure you're using the lower 2-pin plug in upper right corner. The ones that are along the left side and NOT the 2-pin plug at the top.

Next make sure the + wire is connected to the pin against the edge of the board. This is odd because all other pins are ground on the KK2 along the outside of the board. Don't worry about the ground wire, the ground from the ESCs handle that.

Then make sure that + wire is connected to the battery properly.

Then go to menu. Then down to Misc. Settings. Then down to Alarm 1/10 volts:

If you're using a...

2 cell battery, set it for 70
3 cell battery, set it for 106
4 cell battery, set it for 140

Last edited:

dmoores

Ok.

First make sure you're using the lower 2-pin plug in upper right corner. The ones that are along the left side and NOT the 2-pin plug at the top.

Next make sure the + wire is connected to the pin against the edge of the board. This is odd because all other pins are ground on the KK2 along the outside of the board. Don't worry about the ground wire, the ground from the ESCs handle that.

Then make sure that + wire is connected to the battery properly.

Then go to menu. Then down to Misc. Settings. Then down to Alarm 1/10 volts:

If you're using a...

2 cell battery, set it for 70
3 cell battery, set it for 106
4 cell battery, set it for 140

Everything is connected as you instructed. The screen shows "0" voltage, Does that matter?

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Everything is connected as you instructed. The screen shows "0" voltage, Does that matter?

Which screen says "0" volts? If it says this on the Alarm 1/10 volts: then change as Cyber has suggested and press enter.
If it says "0" on the main screen which shows the current voltage it would suggest you don't have the battery properly hooked up to the voltage sensor pin as it's not sensing any voltage. Can you take a picture of your KK2.1 board for us to check the wiring?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's plugged in where it should be and oriented correctly. The other end is hooked to the flight pack?
Can you check at the plug to see if it has voltage and that the voltage matches the packs voltage?

dmoores

It's plugged in where it should be and oriented correctly. The other end is hooked to the flight pack?
Can you check at the plug to see if it has voltage and that the voltage matches the packs voltage?

What do you mean "the other end is hooked to the flight pack"???? there's nothing else to plug in.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
You have the wires plugged incorrectly. The buzzer should be plugged in on the pins further to the top. The pins that you currently have the buzzer plugged to are the ones that sense the voltage. You will need to get a wire coming from the battery loom straight to the outside pin only. I'll take a pic of mine for you to reference.

dmoores

You have the wires plugged incorrectly. The buzzer should be plugged in on the pins further to the top. The pins that you currently have the buzzer plugged to are the ones that sense the voltage. You will need to get a wire coming from the battery loom straight to the outside pin only. I'll take a pic of mine for you to reference.

That would help FinalGlideAus :) Thanks!

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
KK2.1.jpg

The buzzer with the black/white wire with red JST plug plugs into the two pins at the very front of the board (top of this picture).

It would seem you have no voltage sensing wire installed and that is why it reads "0" volts. You can see in my picture I have a single red wire plugged to the OUTSIDE pin where you have your buzzer incorrectly plugged into. That wire gores to the positive side of the battery loom. I just connected mine to the wire that connects to my XT60 battery connector. That wire tells the KK2.1 what the actual voltage of the battery is because the the KK2.1 is powered an ESC with only 5volts so it needs an direct way to find the battery voltage.

You will also notice I have no black(earth) wire installed and that pin has been broken off. That is because the KK2.1 is already earthed back to the battery so doesn't need it. The pin has been removed because if you accidently plug a two pin backwards on this you will blow up the KK2.1. Doing what I have done has no downside but prevents you from letting the smoke out.

Let me know if you are still confused.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yup, he got me with that one. I thought he had a lead from the battery plugged in there, not the buzzer. At least the new KK2.1.5 has it marked clearly. Maybe we'll see less confusion with that one.
54299.jpg

dmoores

View attachment 20312

The buzzer with the black/white wire with red JST plug plugs into the two pins at the very front of the board (top of this picture).

It would seem you have no voltage sensing wire installed and that is why it reads "0" volts. You can see in my picture I have a single red wire plugged to the OUTSIDE pin where you have your buzzer incorrectly plugged into. That wire gores to the positive side of the battery loom. I just connected mine to the wire that connects to my XT60 battery connector. That wire tells the KK2.1 what the actual voltage of the battery is because the the KK2.1 is powered an ESC with only 5volts so it needs an direct way to find the battery voltage.

You will also notice I have no black(earth) wire installed and that pin has been broken off. That is because the KK2.1 is already earthed back to the battery so doesn't need it. The pin has been removed because if you accidently plug a two pin backwards on this you will blow up the KK2.1. Doing what I have done has no downside but prevents you from letting the smoke out.

Let me know if you are still confused.

Thanks a bunch FinalGlideAus. That worked!

BrettRotor

I wish I would have searched for this instead of relying on my memory when I switched my KK2.1 to a different frame. I connected the battery lead backwards and poof...up in smoke. It's nice that they marked it better on the new version.