Volunteer for Tricopter Tuning @ FTFF

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Hello everyone who is reading my post.
I like many of us on the forum am going to FliteFest later this month. I have had several "flights" and mild crashes with my tricopter. And through this I have concluded the following: I have no idea how to tune a tricopter. I can fly one fine, but this being my first multirotor that is bigger than my hand, it's pretty tough.
I am looking for a mentor or volunteer who will help me realize my dream of flying a tricopter (for more than ten seconds)
This is pretty much the deal: All you'd have to do is get it to fly the way a tricopter should fly, or tell me how to accomplish the same task. (It uses a KK2.1 Board)

To give you an idea of the tuning:
It's a bit twitchy when I have 60% expo and half the standard stick scaling values, probably in the radio.
The throttle has to be at about 80% throttle to climb and around 65% to hover (probably more for both values) and no it's not too heavy
The Yaw/Servo has yet to be tested with it because the flights have been so short.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the P and I values are sure to be wrong for how I'd like to fly.
The radio is a 9XR FYI.

REWARD: GUARENTEED ETERNAL GRATITUDE(and a reserved place in an autobiography(not really, I'm not writing one, too much flying to do))

Essential Info and Q&A:
These are the specs: Frame: X900. Motors: NTM 28-26A (balanced) Props: 8x4 (standard or reversed). FC: KK2.1HC Servo: Digital Metal Gear
Note: I don't have too many batteries; (2 1500s at current moment) bring your own if you want (Unlimited High Five Perk)
Q: Do I have to be experienced with Tricopters?
A: Experience in multirotors should be fine. Chances are if you're experienced enough, you've got a Tri already. Knowledge of the KK2.1 is required.
Q: Why are you doing this? (Asking for help)
A: To be honest, I wouldn't if I knew how. Currently I'd research and solve a problem, then cause another. This circle of events would continue until 2:00AM when I'd fall asleep.
Q: Is the tricopter flyable or do I have to fix it or something?
A: The tricopter is flyable. Its minor crashes have been from no more than two feet off the ground in tall grass. It works, but only in theory.
Q: Is the Tricopter FPV?
A: I wish it was now, but I want to fly it right first. I might bring the FPV gear to FTFF and attach it there. It should be okay if that is the case.
Q: What if I crash it during a test flight?
A: I'm not too thrilled with the frame so if it gets trashed I could care less. Damage to electronics such as the ESCs, Servo, or KK2 may be another story... Also, I have extra props.
Q: Where do I sign up?
A: Send me a private message or just leave a comment with your qualifications. If you've got a working tricopter that you can tune, that's good enough.

Final Note: If anyone who is well experienced (Ex: David Windestal) is appreciated. Even if we just sit talking about how to tune it for an hour at the bonfire one night and I get it working qualifies.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Techno,

You shouldn't have a hard time finding someone to lend a hand, but if you can't, come hunt me down one of the afternoons and we'll try to find a spot on a flightline uncrowded enough to be conducive to tuning. Shouldn't take more than a battery to get it dialed in enough to fly acceptably, and give you the tools to fine tune as you build up your chops.

Scratch

That right there makes me want to go to FF! I'd love to get some personal help tuning my quad, of course the screen on my KK is broken so I guess I'd have to fix that first.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I'll be sure to find you Dan at FTFF, It'll be a relief to know that this will finally get flying right.
Also Scratch, I have the Hard case KK2, the screen is a separate unit so it doesn't break in a crash, sounds like a good replacement

Scratch

I'll be sure to find you Dan at FTFF, It'll be a relief to know that this will finally get flying right.
Also Scratch, I have the Hard case KK2, the screen is a separate unit so it doesn't break in a crash, sounds like a good replacement

Yeah I just bought the KK2.15HC also. Once I completely destroy the existing one, I'll use the hard case board.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Great idea, Let's all have a tricopter party! Maybe a contest? Also, help out newbies with tris

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Why limit to tri's? thre are plenty of nifty MR's out there . . .