VTOL - Tricopter Blunt Versa Mashup

HilldaFlyer

VTOL with Tricopter and Blunt Nose Versa

BWQIDvm--jSRrenNNjgCQDrf_TI-0fSjN3i3mRswIVmBNt6s96XQJ-SwNrtQmt8TTESCyAk5uS-xHLzRHQnWxg4OwtGB2oPqB-NIpUe7MyOigL125nIn0xzsEY-xQL4x1PiACrQ

The plans for the two were overlaid. The tilt mechanism on the front motors would be a real complicated deal with the "Y" configuration...

JdhCtwaH2WB16mSzKJqJQeG_os9vIDfJLw8mkAevKA2yfuAvuGChZGOIP7ZP990ymkK0Ut-Jrb83qscuEunjYiUXL5HSAFFC59jXOhX_I8MSvgBl7PUEaQclANofQVke2Uk9D_0

So, I changed it to a "T" copter and lengthened the rear boom to accommodate the positioning changes.

In the coming days, I will step through the process of the build - that is not the hard part. It is mostly complete- except for the controller.

I could use some help deciding what flight controller to use.

I would like to have functions like return to home and loiter (APM or Pixhawk) but I'm only aware that KK2 has transition from vertical to forward flight. If anyone had information/knowledge, I'd love to hear it.

Let the discussion begin.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
First off, cool project and best of luck.

Second, in both the T and Y versions, the leading edge is getting spoiled air from the multirotor booms. If you go more "goal-post", the boom doesn't make the front tilt easy, but it does get out of the way of the wing. Goalpost also isn't nearly as strong, but I'd point out that the wooden connections in ALL of Peter's foamboard VTOLS ended at the tilt. all foam (including the spar) beyond that. the foam structure really is that ridged.

finally . . . Pixhawk does do VTOL. No idea how well.

HilldaFlyer

First off, cool project and best of luck.

Second, in both the T and Y versions, the leading edge is getting spoiled air from the multirotor booms. If you go more "goal-post", the boom doesn't make the front tilt easy, but it does get out of the way of the wing. Goalpost also isn't nearly as strong, but I'd point out that the wooden connections in ALL of Peter's foamboard VTOLS ended at the tilt. all foam (including the spar) beyond that. the foam structure really is that ridged.

finally . . . Pixhawk does do VTOL. No idea how well.

I agree that the booms don't make a nice leading edge. I never thought of a goal post config. Hmmm.
The main reason for the "T" is for the tilt- that was designed like this:
hfOChWDBopdBBF9nZsIRtMdyBubLXJFDDXwJm8M31jfaa_saU2eJfqbuL-F0Ch7yxHZfI17w_1a3scpRah1VIUeHWZJWfPh2E6VaspOXsAvxHbZKXUt9LJBvhf17lhhkzlT6nEg

But there isn't a good reason why the tilt I made for the rear:
Gynzqe9g--vu15kPAn-osLz5sF5Uu_YiXsmNqZkt-Vm5KzNNjxvZaAL3MkpXmJxxaUGPenS7JKVnlUTyUIW7e3l0lx5AAmXQ9DNIUSwCQ2jdJG_hTzGgUlaPLHXJVU55hpfJs4I

Can't be put on the front. I'll have to think about that. Without a 3D printer, the rear tilt is a little more difficult.

About pixhawk... I'll have to look more into it. Last I read, and maybe I can be wrong, it could do either forward or vertical but mixing transition wasn't available. I would like to know because if so, I'll do the pixhawk for sure.