Weights and Shot (or ball bearings)

N4RF

I've seen a number of posts showing small bags of shot or ball bearings used to weight down pieces while the glue dries. Where can you get these?

I've tried Habour Freight, a local well-stocked hobby shop and a Home Depot and none of them even knew what I was trying to describe (maybe my fault on that part).

My daughter suggested going to WalMart and getting a bunch of fishing weights and using them which is possible but the ball bearings or shot would work better in my mind.

Thanks

Bricks

Master member
Much cheaper get some heavy duty zip locks or just sturdy plastic bags and fill them with sand

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Mine are from Walmart, but they're not fishing weights, they are BBs. I have a couple different size STRONG sandwich or smaller zip seal bags and they work great. You can do something similar with playground sand, although I prefer the BBs.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Rockyboy posted this LINK at Amazon. I just ordered 5 pounds for under $20.00 shipped. The more you buy the cheaper it gets.

Joe

N4RF

Thanks guys for the quick response. I was going to double bag them in zip-lock sandwich bags and do various sizes. I guess I have a trip to Wally World in my future. The sand idea sounds rather interesting, though.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Whatever you put in the bags, make sure it has some heft to it. I know the BBs are good, but when a bag accidentally rips open they roll EVERYWHERE! If the aquarium rocks are heavy and not some lightweight type of material that could be a good option. I'll probably try sand next. Either way, don't overfill the bags, they need to be able to easily conform to the surface being held down.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Mine are one pound and less. It doesn't take much if the pieces fit well and you can always double up with more bags.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've got a drawer full of those little bags thinking they'd eventually come in handy for something. Now thanks to you with 5 lbs of lead shot on the way they will. What doesn't fit in the bags will be good sling shot ammo. Hey you kids, get off of my lawn! :D

Joe

kacknor

Build another!
I bought a glider from a guy who had three or four 1 pound bags of rice on his bench. Cheap and perfect for holding weighing down and propping up. Not to mention very easy to get and replace.

JD