what are C????

f-35lover

Hi, I was looking at my 3s 2200mah battery and read 35c-70c what does that mean? I'll use it with a 30a esc and 2212/6 2200kv motor. will this work?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi, I was looking at my 3s 2200mah battery and read 35c-70c what does that mean? I'll use it with a 30a esc and 2212/6 2200kv motor. will this work?
It is the discharge rate. 1c is the capacity of the bat, like on a 1c 2200mah pack you can only pull 2.2amps. multiply that by 35 and you get a 35c batt max discharge rate. Try to stay far below that max discharge rate, as the batt might explode if you reach it or go above it. This includes max load.

Adui

It is the discharge rate. 1c is the capacity of the bat, like on a 1c 2200mah pack you can only pull 2.2amps. multiply that by 35 and you get a 35c batt max discharge rate. Try to stay far below that max discharge rate, as the batt might explode if you reach it or go above it. This includes max load.
So to add to the question, does this mean it's not unreasonable of me to want a 70c battery for a plane with a 35amp ESC?

Edit, my math was off. In the example you gave a 35c battery should be sufficient should it not?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
So to add to the question, does this mean it's not unreasonable of me to want a 70c battery for a plane with a 35amp ESC?
Depends on the capacity. anything lower than 1000mah I wouldnt reccomend. Also dont charge a batt more than at 2c, just a tip

f-35lover

how do I stay below the max discharge rate? are there any videos about it. cuz I can't understand this.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
how do I stay below the max discharge rate? are there any videos about it. cuz I can't understand this.
Servos will normally state how much current they draw as will a motor and it's esc.try to keep it 5a per cell above the peak load of your esc (the burst current) that is my rule of thumb

tamuct01

Discharge rate == Amps
2200mah battery at 35c means the battery can deliver 77 Amps of current without being damaged. I use the lower end because you will have power spikes that draw more than that and you don't want to overload the battery.

The amp draw will be determined by what the ESC can deliver to the motor and what prop size you are using. I use a Watt meter like this one to see what my power system is drawing: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-180a-watt-meter-and-power-analyzer.html

Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) * Voltage (volts).

At 12-ish volts on a 3S battery, you should be able to deliver nearly 1000 Watts of power. That will drain your battery quickly and certainly shorten its life, but it should work. You can use eCalc to get an estimate of what your power system will do: https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

f-35lover

Servos will normally state how much current they draw as will a motor and it's esc.try to keep it 5a per cell above the peak load of your esc (the burst current) that is my rule of thumb
this is still very complicated to me... my esc can sustain 2c-4c batt, and my servos are typical 9gs will the batt blow up?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
this is still very complicated to me... my esc can sustain 2c-4c batt, and my servos are typical 9gs will the batt blow up?
You are confusing c with s. S is the number of sells. Escs don't care about the,but about the s, which determines voltage.

9g and receiver draw count it as 1a for 4 but it is negligible.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Discharge rate == Amps
2200mah battery at 35c means the battery can deliver 77 Amps of current without being damaged. I use the lower end because you will have power spikes that draw more than that and you don't want to overload the battery.

The amp draw will be determined by what the ESC can deliver to the motor and what prop size you are using. I use a Watt meter like this one to see what my power system is drawing: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-180a-watt-meter-and-power-analyzer.html

At 12-ish volts on a 3S battery, you should be able to deliver nearly 1000 Watts of power. That will drain your battery quickly and certainly shorten its life, but it should work. You can use eCalc to get an estimate of what your power system will do: https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php
Thanks for the amazing explanation, you did better than I ever could

f-35lover

Discharge rate == Amps

so will my setup work while not blowing up? I don't care about the flight time of batt life.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...my 3s 2200mah battery and read 35c-70c what does that mean?...
It means your battery can safely supply 77 amps for an extended time, 5 minutes or so, until the battery is run down.

The formula is: mAh/1000 x C. In your case 2,200/1,000 x 35 = 77

With 2 C rating, always use the lower one, it for continuous use. The higher C, is a burst rate, it can sustain this rate for a short burst, 10-15 seconds.

f-35lover

how is it 35-70c? it should say just one number, do you have a pic o fthe spec sheeet?
I don't have the spec sheet but i do have the batt pic if you see carefully id says 35c-70c

Attachments

• 4611_shop1_796047.jpg
    4611_shop1_796047.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
FYI, the discharge will vary.

For longer battery life, the charge rate should be 1 C, in your case 2.2 amps or lower. Some batteries boast of a 5 C charge rate, IMHO, keep the charge at 1C. I prefer to allow others to test the battery life a 5C charge.

It’s also good practice to let your battery a rest at least 15 minutes from landing to change and another rest from charge to take off.

tamuct01

i'm using a 2212 2200kv brushless motor, a 30a esc, and a 6x4 prop. and 11.1v 2200mah 35c-70c batt.

Based on that and some safe assumptions, you should be fine. Looks like Max power is about 240 Watts or about 10C on the battery. A 6x4 prop should generate about 1kg of static thrust, so build your plane accordingly. What are you planning to put this in?

f-35lover

Based on that and some safe assumptions, you should be fine. Looks like Max power is about 240 Watts or about 10C on the battery. A 6x4 prop should generate about 1kg of static thrust, so build your plane accordingly. What are you planning to put this in?
I'm planning to put this on James whomleys vampire, or a jetworks f-16.