What battery connectors do you use?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I use Deans, most people say they don't like them but don't seem to be consistent with a reason. I've tried XT60's, and yes, they are very good and firm, but I do like to be able to unplug a battery in less than half an hour without breaking all my nails in the process, and Deans have always been firm, easy to plug in, and easy to unplug, not to mention great for soldering... and are lighter than XT60's.

For smaller things I was pretty much stuck with JST's, but wasn't overly excited about them. I have recently brought a box filler from Hobbyking of mini Deans which are rated for 10A, but they are so much more meatier than the JST's that I calculate they could take 15A easily, and yet are still lighter.

For slopesoarers I stick to Futaba connectors as I usually either use a 1S LiPo, a 2S LiFePO4, or 4/5 NiMH's in series, plugged straight into the receiver.

Jimmyp

XT60 and JSTs seeing that the best price for batteries are Hobby King and that is their standard. Works fine for me.

Crimping with the tri-crimp tool is so nice, perfect crimp everytime and so strong the wire breaks before it pulls out. You can buy different contacts (15amp, 30amp, 45amp) that all fit inside the same housing. I buy mine from powerwerx.com.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles

My only trouble with the tri-crimp is when crimping 10ga wire to the 45A connectors often the connector gets stuck in the crimping tool. Otherwise I love crimping the Andersons.

tyoho

Crimping with the tri-crimp tool is so nice, perfect crimp everytime and so strong the wire breaks before it pulls out. You can buy different contacts (15amp, 30amp, 45amp) that all fit inside the same housing. I buy mine from powerwerx.com.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles

Thanks for the link.
Not horrible at $1 a pair, I've been paying $5 for 2 pairs at the LHS.
Plus it turns out that the 15,30+45 amp all have the same contact size, it's just the barrel that is different to accept heaver wire. So my 15amp contacts will handle up to 45amp it's the wire size that would limit it.

RichB

How are they inferior? I need to know which I've been working with.

I got a batch of them from, I think Amazon, that were paler, lighter, and the pins came completely loose after soldering. They also unplugged easier, to the point of just falling unplugged if you looked at it sideways.

From what I understand, the ones sold at HK are created with the metal parts inside the mold when the plastic is injected.

There are easier and cheaper ways of doing it where you press in the contacts after the plastic part is made, which makes them less reliable.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
How are they inferior? I need to know which I've been working with.

I've not had issues with them yet but I'd be worried about not being able to get the rated amp draw. They are supposed to be good for 60a but I don't pull more than 40a at the moment.

After having issues with my deans I decided that pushing a connectors limits is not a good idea and having head room is the way to go. So I use 6mm bullets on anything that needs real juice and I can safely pull over 100a without issues.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I like the idea of the Anderson powerpoles. There's at least one member of my RC club (Charles River RC) who uses those. I've also heard debates between electrical engineers between crimping and soldering as to which is superior for efficiency (lowest resistance) and mechanical strength.

I currently use Deans because when I started, my first electronics kit and battery that was more than 1S came from Lazertoyz and they use Deans on their GensAce looking lipo packs (I'm assuming they buy from GensAce because of the "carbon fiber" pattern shrink wrap they use) but like the idea of not having male/female plugs to have to keep in stock and also the flexibility of crimping instead of soldering the pwoer connections -- because then I can stock and just use thinner gauge solder.

Biff45452

I like the idea of the Anderson powerpoles. There's at least one member of my RC club (Charles River RC) who uses those. I've also heard debates between electrical engineers between crimping and soldering as to which is superior for efficiency (lowest resistance) and mechanical strength.

I've thought about that too but really the resistance is actually fairly comparable to soldering. Also if I was really serious about getting the least resistance in a system I wouldn't buy the cheapest components possible from HK (which I do).

As for mechanical strength I can attest that the wire breaks before it pulls out of a contact. What is also nice is that tension between the 2 mated connectors is just about right that it will disconnect if tugged on with about 3lbs force.