What can BROWN do for you

Scorp11157

20170417_084117_resized.jpg

I have been building Ft models for some time and have enjoyed every min. of it . I originally started with the DTFB and as we all know this stuff works awesome....... until you get it wet. But the perks to the white were it was easy to design a finishing scheme to it as white goes with everything . As of my birthday last year my wife was nice enough to get me a big box of the waterproof board to build with from Flite Test.. I can not rave enough about this product. ( its rigidity, light weight, strong, ) my only complaint is its BROWN.were all model builders here and we love to individualize our models . I have only seen one good example of embracing the Brown in a finish scheme and that is the alpha/bravo/charlie designs from mesa foam fighters
alpha-build-edit-00-00-13-25-still001-png_1481744734.jpg
(SOURCE:photo Borrowed from flite test website)

We as builders are limited to our choices on what we can do to make our models unique. A lot of paints eat our foam, some covering offer too much added weight , we need ease of repair in a crash , and now with brown foam we essentially need to cover all seen surfaces.

I started with painting ..... Picture is of my NerdNic P39

20170417_093026_resized.jpg

By Far this is the most versatile way to personalize your foamy. it gives you the most latitude on design choices. But if you are like me and most of us out there we get excited to see our creations in the air in a hurry. (To sum up I scratch built the P39 in about 7 to 10 hours. but the prep and paint job took over 20 hours to complete) This of course doesn't do anything for your nerves when it is in the air :). The downside to painting is it takes the most time, it is not as durable as we would like, and it is not easily repairable .

So I set out to find a different way to cover and still be able to achieve beautiful results . You would be surprised in searching the web there are not a lot of solutions present that meet all requirements of ease of application, durability , and least weight. Not to mention economical as lets face it we are cheap

For the heck of it I tried cheap dollar store duct tape , flys well . Looks ugly ( friends call it a deranged flying christmas Gift) adds to much weight in my opinion

20170417_093012_resized.jpg

I finally settled in out what is not a new technique and i can not take credit for the idea being original( originaly offered by experimental airlines as a basic concept) but in my test, works out to have limitless design possibilities, adds minimal weight ( my FT Cruiser only had an added weight of 21 grams , and my Ft Arrow only 7 grams ). Very durable , Easy and quick to apply and best of all cheap 3.63 a roll of 110 yards( enough to completely cover 10 foam boards with a 3 mil overlap ) with a discount on 6 roll purchase. https://www.tapeplanet.com/2-inch-x-110-yard-Colored-Carton-Sealing-Tape-s/242.htm is the source I found for the best value. And my luck they were located 15 min from me in casselberry FL so i was able to pick up from the warehouse. (disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this company nor am i being compensated for this . just like to spotlight those who have good ethics and business practices to our community )

Just a few of the designs so far:

20170417_083919_resized.jpg 20170417_084008_resized.jpg 20170417_084054_resized.jpg

I believe the possibilities are endless , some tips from what i have learned so far.

1. cover and design planes flat after they have been cut out for best results. if you have built an FT plane before just looking at it flat you should know what is what
2. Start with lightest color first on your design for best look on over lap lines ( might want to double up white so it pops when you add contrast color
3 .make overlap at leading edge fold twice the norm as the tape stretches but you don't want tape to split there
4. Plan ahead so you know where you will be gluing such things as canopy formers and tails in place and omit tape there. Glue will stick to this tape but it will be your weakest link as the tape will give before the foam.
5. you can cut intricate designs out, you don't need to use tape as 2 inch stripes, put down wax paper and cut designs in tape
6.you can get interesting color effects as tape is semi translucent crossing red over blue with give you an interesting variant of purple at the intersection
7.dont be too critical of imperfections as all blends in once you are finished covering

My challenge to anyone out there who finds this post interesting . post some of your designs here. I am curious to see the creativity of others in the hobby and what we can come up with . Hope this is useful to anyone looking for a design alternative

Gazoo

Love the Tape!!!

I like the tape method too. Here is my newest Spitfire (in yellow) and my last spitfire (in red). I just wish I would have backed off a little on the powder blue tail.

The red one met it's demise by face plant into a snowbank. I had the ol' "reverse thumbs" from flying inverted.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to add the red one.

Attachments

• Taped Spitfire.JPG
    Taped Spitfire.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Red Tape.JPG
    Red Tape.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 7

Scorp11157

I like the tape method too. Here is my newest Spitfire (in yellow) and my last spitfire (in red). I just wish I would have backed off a little on the powder blue tail.

The red one met it's demise by face plant into a snowbank. I had the ol' "reverse thumbs" from flying inverted.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to add the red one.

Awesome Job I am loving your finishing schemes. Yeah I can relate I lost one of my sportster to perception and a field goal post lol.

Scorp11157

What kid of tape / covering are you using. it looks completely smooth and no over lap marks . is this monocote or packaging tape . just curious . looks fantastic

Scorp11157

Thanks. Just don't look too close!

I bought a box of multi-colored packing tape from Amazon. I think that it was from Tape Bros.
https://www.amazon.com/Carton-Seali...92521955&sr=8-5&keywords=colored+packing+tape

I do a lot of touch ups with colored Sharpies as well. The stripes are also outlined with black Sharpie for definition.

Yeah I went through tape brothers direct instead of amazon , first because even with shipping it is cheaper for my location , but they are around the corner from me . so i can place my order and pick up.

Thank you for the tip by the way , this is what I was hoping to get by sharing. I would not have thought of pin striping with a sharpie but it really makes it pop. going to see what I can do with that idea on my next plane. I love Rc and am an addict of foam planes. think i like building more than flying sometimes :)O

Gazoo

I am ashamed to say that I like building more than flying. I have been known to pile drive a plane just to get my electronics back. I am certainly not the best builder but I keep learning new tricks and get a lot of ideas from this forum.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ahh that is why they stick out more then many other tape stripes. That dark outline makes them pop up with the added definition.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I am ashamed to say that I like building more than flying. I have been known to pile drive a plane just to get my electronics back. I am certainly not the best builder but I keep learning new tricks and get a lot of ideas from this forum.

:applause::applause:

Yeah, I think we share some addictions here. I can't seem to bring myself to tear up a good plane for parts, but I do get pretty reckless with ones I'm less than happy with :)

Scorp11157

thats what this place is all about , trying something new and learning new things. I love that most and there are so many talented people out here . Im in awe of what us as a community can come up with .

Gazoo

I also think that it looks pretty cool if you outline the tape in black and then put another line right next to it about 1/8" away. Kinda like a Shelby Cobra or a Daytona or something.

You have to do it before folding the wing tho.

Attachments

• Tape Mustang.JPG
    Tape Mustang.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 3

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That minion cartoon plane is too cute! I don't recognize the design - do you have a set of plans for that?

jpot1

Elite member
And...where are the control surfaces? I don't see any. I like it a lot!

Thanks guys. This one is the Judy Sea Jet and can be found on rcgroups at the below link. It is a basic elevon plane, just difficult to see from that picture. It flies super smooth and every time I bring it to the field the guys just left. An inverted minion down the runway for some reason makes everyone laugh.

I omitted the rudder servo and use a smaller power pod in the back - had to fashion some supports but it works quite well. Let me know if you want more info/pictures.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2435340-Judi-Sea-Jet-32-span

fdnyjery

i AM A FLORIDA GUY TOO.Just found out that Tape brothers moved to Sanford ,Fl. about 10 minutes from me. Met the owner a young guy and a real nice dude if you go to his warehouse you beat the shiping cost :eek:)) happy Flying fdnyjery

Scorp11157

Yeah i went in to pick up my order. And ended up staying there for over an hour and a half just talking. Great bunch of guys.