What did you crash today

JennyC6

Elite member
Wow! That is one HECK of a lawn dart! I'm glad the engine is good and the fuse is repairable. Weird that the wing disappeared on you. It sucks losing a plane that way, but what a cool story! :D
You can actaully see in the first pic where the dowel tore out. The piece that they mounted to somehow stayed with the fuse and it's just laying there lower right corner with one hole slotted out the top.

The only real total loss that I know of at the moment is the receiver pack.

IMG_20190906_202649.jpg

I love LiFE packs though. A Li-PO pack damaged like that likely would have given me smoke signals leading up to the crash site. Nonetheless, I don't trust that battery anymore, so I've got a 220 ohm resistor shorting the discharge lead and it's in my fireplace. OCV was 6.667v, so pretty much right at half capacity. Maths say it's a 30 milliamp discharge so in 2-3 days the battery should be fully dead and safe to dispose of.

I'll salvage the connectors before I get rid of the pack. They're still good.

I'll go through it more thoroughly tomorrow and see if I've lost a servo as well. I might have; one of the control rods ripped part of a servo horn off(And the control horn at the other end for the elevator) so I probably have a busted servo too. The whole servo tray is flopping loose inside the airframe at the moment.

I already have the engine cleaned out and re-oiled; it's good to go. Don't think it's going back on this plane though. Bit too weak...it's not underperforming or anything, it just never did have enough power. 70% throttle just to keep it in level flight is not enough.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I learned recently that my local county recycling center recycles lipos. They've got to be dead and safe of course, but better that than in a landfill. Might be worth checking in with your recycling center to see if they recycle LiFE packs. It sounds like you've got damage control under control. Do you plan on bringing that bird back to life, or retiring it?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
She'll fly again. Dunno what engine will pull 'er skyward next time but I'll find something a bit more potent for it.
I know it is time for repair, obviously, but perhaps It could also be time for a conversion to full electric!

Have fun

JennyC6

Elite member
I know it is time for repair, obviously, but perhaps It could also be time for a conversion to full electric!

Have fun
Lol I go the other way! I put engines on electric planes~. Currently working on a Sig Kadet EP-42 glow conversion...got an AP 061 on that swinging a 6-3-2 prop. That thing might just be able to hover...

As far as the Aerostar...I think an OS FS52, 56 would work well. Maybe a Saito FA-50, or another Magnum 52 RFS(I have one of these on my NexSTAR and it flies like an absolute dream with power to spare).

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
View attachment 141819

it made a little air and it didn't fly well
he went to the right and was totally straight
I do not get it
Should we give an angle of thrust?
NOT THE SPIT!! lol. That sucks! Sound like the same thing that happened in my first Scout maiden, left my hands flew for about 50" straight as an arrow, banked right as I input right but would not level out. Dirt nap! And tragically. Tore the tail clean off. My guess is there wasn't enough throttle and tip stalled. Tested all the servos after and everything was working fine. Maybe that was it. Hasn't happened since.

The Spit is such a nice plane to fly too. The plans have a little down thrust in them but zeroed left to right. If it was a thrust angle issue it should have rolled to the left not right. Have you flown this plane before?

Javiester

Elite member
there was an attempt about two or three weeks ago with another engine and I didn't get to take flight
I was so nervous that I can't make sure that he turned right or left
I do not remember
no problem, to build another
and I will try to record it

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
there was an attempt about two or three weeks ago with another engine and I didn't get to take flight
I was so nervous that I can't make sure that he turned right or left
I do not remember
no problem, to build another
and I will try to record it
The spit shouldn't take much to hand launch. I know you have landing gear but maybe hand launch it the first few times to get it trimmed out and to get the feel of it. It has a wide speed envelope once up and can be forgiving in the air, especially with the under camber wing tips. Mine was a belly lander so it was always hand launched and it was a little squirrelly as soon as it leaves your hand, pulled and banked to the left right away. Once it gained speed to fly it was a grace to handle. Are you doing ground take off?

Javiester

Elite member
yes from the ground
The fact is that it seemed to take off well but once he took height and released the sticks to see if VAT was starting to turn
it was windy, but it only turned well in one direction regardless of wind position
it doesn't matter
I will build the new one and wait for a quiet day

thanks friend

Last edited:

Javiester

Elite member
At least I have flown the baby brit that is great and I have released the DR1 although I have lowered it quickly for fear of the wind

Javiester

Elite member
The spit shouldn't take much to hand launch. I know you have landing gear but maybe hand launch it the first few times to get it trimmed out and to get the feel of it. It has a wide speed envelope once up and can be forgiving in the air, especially with the under camber wing tips. Mine was a belly lander so it was always hand launched and it was a little squirrelly as soon as it leaves your hand, pulled and banked to the left right away. Once it gained speed to fly it was a grace to handle. Are you doing ground take off?

The motor I used is the EMAX GT2218 / 09 1100KV with a slowfly 10x47
can the problem be the propeller slowfly?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The motor I used is the EMAX GT2218 / 09 1100KV with a slowfly 10x47
can the problem be the propeller slowfly?
YES FOR SURE! You nailed it man, all that rotating mass and not much pitch. I run a 9x6 with a 2200 3s and have never had an issue on any plane I have built. Did you see @buzzbomb, his Spit maiden, he posted it in the "FB Roasted Spit" thread. He used the same prop you did. His flew but his motor also got fried by the end of it. That's a prop is for a nutball or a delta wing pusher, something like that. Do the Spit justice and go 9x6 on a 3s, or a 4s use a 8x7, the latter will be really fast though so keep your belt tight cuz she will blow your drawers off lol.

What battery and ESC are you using?

Javiester

Elite member
Yes, I read it, but I didn't see any relationship with my problem
3s 2200mah and esc 40a
in theory that engine is only 3s
I have an 8x6 tri-blade, will it work?
I will buy APC 9x6 and 10x4.7 to test
Thank you

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
3s 2200mah and esc 40a
Thank you
The 8x6x3 will work just fine. Tri blades just aren't as efficient, they are more susceptible to drag from dirty air but they pull like a 1000hp dragster so you will have lots of go when you need it.

You run similar equipment as I do and the APC props will give you the best performance. Make sure it's an electric only prop for efficiency and speed. Gives you more to play with.

Headbang

Master member
3s 2200mah and esc 40a
Thank you
I built a new seaduck using radial 2218's, 9x6 prop was a very good match 3s, and was ballistic on 4s. 10x4.7 props on 3s will give you good vertical climb, but be very slow (saw that yesterday with a buddies seaduck). My mig 3 flew very well with a 2215 and a 9x6 prop on 3s. The 8x6x3 will work if you have landing gear, if you are belly landing a 3 blade will be broken fairly quick.