What did you crash today

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
My new battery arrived over the break so I put my Bird Dog back together and tried it out. It was reasonably easy to control but seemed kind of unstable roll wise, and it may also have been just a tad tail heavy. It was flying great for about 15 seconds but then I completely lost control of the plane in the middle of a turn and it went straight into the ground. I'm pretty sure I lost signal but we'll see what the NTSB says...
Easy repair work, nothing broke that wasn't broken in the last crash. Just unseated the motor and tore off the landing gear again, 15 minutes with a glue gun and it'll be good to go. I have a Lemon rx that I was going to put into my Mustang, I think I'll put that in the Bird Dog and buy another rx when the Mustang's ready for it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My new battery arrived over the break so I put my Bird Dog back together and tried it out. It was reasonably easy to control but seemed kind of unstable roll wise, and it may also have been just a tad tail heavy. It was flying great for about 15 seconds but then I completely lost control of the plane in the middle of a turn and it went straight into the ground. I'm pretty sure I lost signal but we'll see what the NTSB says...
Easy repair work, nothing broke that wasn't broken in the last crash. Just unseated the motor and tore off the landing gear again, 15 minutes with a glue gun and it'll be good to go. I have a Lemon rx that I was going to put into my Mustang, I think I'll put that in the Bird Dog and buy another rx when the Mustang's ready for it.

At least you were close to the ground

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its hard to say what happened without knowing what you told fail safe to do when it loses signal. Tip stalls are usually pilot going too slow in a turn and losing lift.. I KNOW just watch nearly everyone of my attempts to fly fixed wing hehe.

Quads will roll over and play dead like that but planes are supposed to glide a bit or try to right themselves depending how you set up fail safe. To me that looks like you might be set to hold last known input as you were banking a bit when it went down so it just followed that path.

Revisit your fail safe settings and check your antenna placement and condition. If you have a single antenna receiver point it straight up If you have a diversity I usually stick one out the bottom (top for belly landers) on the premise It should be over my head and me looking at the bottom most of its life, and then one sticking out over or under the wing at the fuselage just long enough to get the exposed core out.

Check the length of the exposed core they should be right around 31, 32 mm if they were damaged they could be shorter or not even exposed any longer. I heat shrink mine to small zip ties and have not broken one since. Ill burn in at over 100 mph at times and no issues. Even when I broke an arm and separated the zip tie from the main frame. the zip ties snap at the lock and the exposed core stays safely wrapped to the longer part.

Legendary member
Its hard to say what happened without knowing what you told fail safe to do when it loses signal. Tip stalls are usually pilot going too slow in a turn and losing lift.. I KNOW just watch nearly everyone of my attempts to fly fixed wing hehe.

Quads will roll over and play dead like that but planes are supposed to glide a bit or try to right themselves depending how you set up fail safe. To me that looks like you might be set to hold last known input as you were banking a bit when it went down so it just followed that path.

Revisit your fail safe settings and check your antenna placement and condition. If you have a single antenna receiver point it straight up If you have a diversity I usually stick one out the bottom (top for belly landers) on the premise It should be over my head and me looking at the bottom most of its life, and then one sticking out over or under the wing at the fuselage just long enough to get the exposed core out.

Check the length of the exposed core they should be right around 31, 32 mm if they were damaged they could be shorter or not even exposed any longer. I heat shrink mine to small zip ties and have not broken one since. Ill burn in at over 100 mph at times and no issues. Even when I broke an arm and separated the zip tie from the main frame. the zip ties snap at the lock and the exposed core stays safely wrapped to the longer part.
It doesn't look like it stalled, the way it was turning looks like it was still generating lift. The receiver was one of the Spectrum antenaless ones, I threw the plane together so fast I just used what I had. Good advice on the failsafe, I'll check my settings on the new receiver I'll put in.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had the AR620, actually 3 of them. I found because the antenna is internal it is really susceptible to loss of signal. I got to the point where I was mounting mine pretty much on the exterior of the plane on the bottom. Any servo wires or to close to the ESC or battery and it would lose communication. I went to the Lemon Rx's instead

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had the AR620, actually 3 of them. I found because the antenna is internal it is really susceptible to loss of signal. I got to the point where I was mounting mine pretty much on the exterior of the plane on the bottom. Any servo wires or to close to the ESC or battery and it would lose communication. I went to the Lemon Rx's instead
I have an AR620 and two AR410's and haven't expierenced any issuies. Note I hardly ever think about reciever placement. Wherever it fits and there are the least servo extensions needed. :D

Marty72

Elite member
I have an AR620 and two AR410's and haven't expierenced any issuies. Note I hardly ever think about reciever placement. Wherever it fits and there are the least servo extensions needed. :D
I also have ar620 and ar410s, no issues. Near a 100 flights with the 620, but only 20 with the 410. This is not to say it can't happen, just has happened yet. I place it where ever it fits best while considering balance.

Legendary member
I also have ar620 and ar410s, no issues. Near a 100 flights with the 620, but only 20 with the 410. This is not to say it can't happen, just has happened yet. I place it where ever it fits best while considering balance.
I'm using an older dx6i and I live in LA so there's a lot of interference. Maybe that's why I was having issues. Also I believe I did have the failsafe set to hold last input, I think that's usually he stock setting on Spektrum rxs and I don't remember messing with it.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Watching the video I can see every time the turns were made the plane wanted to roll towards the ground usually that comes from not having enough airspeed. Many planes at slower speed need to input some opposite rudder or throttle to keep turns at the same elevation. Hate to say it but looks like a pilot error just saying could be wrong thou.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Watching the video I can see every time the turns were made the plane wanted to roll towards the ground usually that comes from not having enough airspeed. Many planes at slower speed need to input some opposite rudder or throttle to keep turns at the same elevation. Hate to say it but looks like a pilot error just saying could be wrong thou.

I agree, looks like plain and simple to slow in the corner and it just stalled. Power up going into a corner, speed there can be your friend especially if there is a wind . When you are banking that wind now can grab the wing and take you down especially if you are turning into the wind.

Legendary member
It was my first flight actually so that's quite possible.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've had 6410's failsafe on me quite a bit but never that close. They'll drop out when I fly FPV and go behind the barn in the trees but thats not really their fault. I will say I do get better connection with Lemons for sure, but I dont think you lost signal.

Legendary member
I've had 6410's failsafe on me quite a bit but never that close. They'll drop out when I fly FPV and go behind the barn in the trees but thats not really their fault. I will say I do get better connection with Lemons for sure, but I dont think you lost signal.
I agree, looks like plain and simple to slow in the corner and it just stalled. Power up going into a corner, speed there can be your friend especially if there is a wind . When you are banking that wind now can grab the wing and take you down especially if you are turning into the wind.

I'm still really new to the hobby, this is the first successful plane that I've built. The last time I tried to maiden this plane I had a 4s in it, the prop made a lot of torque and it had enough power to fly on about 1/4 throttle. This only lasted a few seconds though, I had to put down for a rough landing because it was way too heavy. This flight I got a smaller 3s, I forgot to compensate for the lower power and was still trying to fly it on a low throttle setting. I only have one or two successful flights under my belt with my school's Hobbyzone Champs so I am definitely an inexperienced pilot, but I'm learning from all of this! I have the evening open, so I'll probably rebuild it tonight.
Trying to learn how to fly on planes you designed yourself is hard- I'm learning how to build and fly at the same time. It's harder to learn to fly with sketchy designs that have never been tested and only fly for 13 seconds. I'm having fun though.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm still really new to the hobby, this is the first successful plane that I've built. The last time I tried to maiden this plane I had a 4s in it, the prop made a lot of torque and it had enough power to fly on about 1/4 throttle. This only lasted a few seconds though, I had to put down for a rough landing because it was way too heavy. This flight I got a smaller 3s, I forgot to compensate for the lower power and was still trying to fly it on a low throttle setting. I only have one or two successful flights under my belt with my school's Hobbyzone Champs so I am definitely an inexperienced pilot, but I'm learning from all of this! I have the evening open, so I'll probably rebuild it tonight.
Trying to learn how to fly on planes you designed yourself is hard- I'm learning how to build and fly at the same time. It's harder to learn to fly with sketchy designs that have never been tested and only fly for 13 seconds. I'm having fun though.

It will come, my first flights didn't last 2 seconds but the building and learning how to fly was a win win. The more I practiced flying (crashing) the better my building skills got.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
But it was so easy in Realflight...

I simed a lot in Reflex XTR until my dongle stopped working sometime in the last few months I havent used that program. That has weather modification parameters not only wind speed and direction but bump force and thermals as well. I NEVER flew in perfect weather conditions and I even started messing around with variations on CG to start learning what that looked or felt like.

I loved messing around and cranking the wind up and the bump forces and beaufort levels up to where I could fly a plane without ever moving. Take off in one place, fly, do tricks and land without moving an inch but still having to deal with all the added external forces hehe.