I got off lucky.
- It got off the ground in about 30 feet.
- It didn't need any corrections for balance which was my biggest concern. Being such a rookie, I'm leery of the plane being uncorrectable (at least... by me). I didn't need any trimming while flying.
- I wanted to explore the Flaperon version. I got all the mixes working and it actually did slow the plane down for landing.
- I did get it on the ground without harm.
- Clarity of Instructions (or hearing what I wanted to hear) - I went through the build, review, flight videos multiple times. There is conflicting information, but it is definitely my fault in interpretation. The plans have adjustment gauges for 20° and 27° for low and high rates, yet the title page says 12°. I set all my surfaces to the 20°.
- The ailerons (especially since I didn't heed the "for advanced flyers" warning) were WAY too aggressive.
- It seems way to underpowered. I could barely climb. I really had to nurse the elevator and finally got it to about 100 feet. There is no way it could have done the stunts shown in the videos. I'm using a a2212 1000 Kv motor, 30A ESC and 10x4.5 propeller. This is a commodity kit that only costs $18. It stalls very easily when pulling back on the elevator. Even if I plateau to speed up, it doesn't seem to have enough power to really speed up.
, not so, so-so...
For the second flight, I upped the aileron exponential to 60%. This didn't seem to improve the touchiness to any great degree. I had scare out at about the limits of the field... say about 300 yards where I lost perspective of its orientation, got into a spin and pulled it out with only feet to spare. There were many indrawn breaths from the club's peanut gallery that typically are unmerciful to each other. I think they're giving me a grace period since I'm new AND green.
As I slowly got it back nearer there were a few comments saying, "thought we were in for a recovery hike."
Trying to get it on the ground, the adrenalin was too rich and I overcorrected with the help with the aggressive ailerons, cartwheeled and nose planted. The damage is surprisingly light, but it tore off the forward facing skewers for the power pod and the firewall from the power pod and broke the prop.
I decided to think about what I learned and NOT do a field repair. A third flight might end even bigger. I'll get back up on that horse another day. Things I've decided to do before flight 3...
View attachment 232653
- I'll disconnect the flap portion from the flaperons and just do ailerons.
- I noted on several of the club's planes that the ailerons were far smaller. An Ugly Stik, even though having full length, strip ailerons, they were only about 20% the size of these monsters. I'm also going to reduce the size of the ailerons. Probably just cut the trailing portion right at the offset.
- The rudder became delaminated somewhere. Don't know if it was the crash or simply the rudder drags the ground. My skid was too short. I'm going to add a steerable tail wheel. I'd like to be able to taxi in/out nice and proper-like.
- I didn't like my battery mounting method and since my power pod is damaged anyway, I think I'll re-do a front-end for the plane. Weather here is suppose to be rainy for the next ten days anyway, so I have plenty of time to re-design. Possibly do a 3D printed front-end.