What Did You Fly Today

L Edge

Master member
I’ve had a MultiPlex Parkmaster Pro, so I’m not clueless about 3d just wondering where to start as far as a real 3d plane, thanks for your insight tho!

Whay kind of 3D manuvers are you interested in doing? Is it just hovering or is it the full set? Really makes a difference in the airplane you should start off with.

Brett_N

Ok, I would start by saying you absolutely DO NOT want an edge as your first 3D plane.

Or anything balsa

Build an FT3D for a couple bucks - actually, build 2 or 3 of them (at least cut 2 or 3 of them out) and go smash it to pieces.

Then get a flat-plate profile foamy. I have a bunch of the Value Hobby kits, which are like $30+ electronics. You can build one all in for less than $50 with budget components. (EVERYONE should have one of these anyway, as it will tremendously accelerate your "stick feel" and they're just plain fun)

If you are dead-set on getting something "real" I'd recommend the RocHobby MX-S V2. Flies great on 3S packs, but it's a squirrly monster and should really have a Gyro in it. Mine has had LemonRX plain old gyro, but now has a Hobby Eagle flight controller.

When you can hover & harrier around trees, then move to balsa. And yes, this is all coming from (expensive) experience trying to learn with a 3DHS Edge 540.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So I took out the '39 PA special with ailerons. Servos have some very tiny twitch, my placement and linkages are kinda slop but that's likely not the problem, most people who have had these problems say it's leads and connections, so I went in and replugged everything, but it's still slightly there on ailerons. It could be a bunk Y harness so I may swap that out, but it hasn't caused a problem because it's very minor. The plane flew alright and came back in one piece, but it would be more efficient and lighter on 2s. The way this ones built, it cannot quite fit my larger 2s battery and needs a 3s 850 for good CG. Despite all that, it does fly. It will protest slop and bad piloting a bit, but stalls gentle and recovers easily. The ailerons do give me very good control, though it will take a bit of getting used to and polishing the design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I took out the '39 PA special with ailerons. Servos have some very tiny twitch, my placement and linkages are kinda slop but that's likely not the problem, most people who have had these problems say it's leads and connections, so I went in and replugged everything, but it's still slightly there on ailerons. It could be a bunk Y harness so I may swap that out, but it hasn't caused a problem because it's very minor. The plane flew alright and came back in one piece, but it would be more efficient and lighter on 2s. The way this ones built, it cannot quite fit my larger 2s battery and needs a 3s 850 for good CG. Despite all that, it does fly. It will protest slop and bad piloting a bit, but stalls gentle and recovers easily. The ailerons do give me very good control, though it will take a bit of getting used to and polishing the design.
I really like the profile. I want one... mind you I want it all lol. You will have so much fun with that plane, I know I would. How do you feel about the build?

Corbarrad

Took my Multiplex Funman out for a spin, despite not having gotten around to install ailerons.
It was a fun and relaxing afternoon with one of my usual flying buddies and if he hadn't twisted his ankle retrieveing his Solius from a field I might have burned through a couple of batteries on the FT Twin Sparrow as well. It seems there's no serious harm done, though so I'll take that.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I really like the profile. I want one... mind you I want it all lol. You will have so much fun with that plane, I know I would. How do you feel about the build?
Took it out some more, needs a little trim and has some rough draft slop, but I'm liking it more and more, and learning to fly around the flaws. It is still very forgiving with ailerons, even minus any dihedral self-leveling. Build wise, there a couple changes still to probably make to polish it up, but it is a very simple build, easy and fun to make with no advanced techniques, but has a nice profile and sturdy full box fuselage. As far as liking the design, I love it. It has a nice looking profile, and is very practical, with really agreeable flight characteristics and big potential. It's not a slow flyer, though it can be built to cruise at pretty modest speeds. I think it makes a wonderful high speed platform.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Took it out some more, needs a little trim and has some rough draft slop, but I'm liking it more and more, and learning to fly around the flaws. It is still very forgiving with ailerons, even minus any dihedral self-leveling. Build wise, there a couple changes still to probably make to polish it up, but it is a very simple build, easy and fun to make with no advanced techniques, but has a nice profile and sturdy full box fuselage. As far as liking the design, I love it. It has a nice looking profile, and is very practical, with really agreeable flight characteristics and big potential. It's not a slow flyer, though it can be built to cruise at pretty modest speeds. I think it makes a wonderful high speed platform.
You are running mini motor pack on it right? Do you have plans for it on file? I wonder what its scaled up version would do... :unsure:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Flew yesterday, NexSTAR RMRC Recruit and Aerostar. Aerostar 40 lost its wing midair, see what you crashed thread for deets.

Today, however, I did some tinkering on my latest project!

That little guy wants to rip up some skies. It's like a little dog with big attitude lol

whackflyer

Master member
Whay kind of 3D manuvers are you interested in doing? Is it just hovering or is it the full set? Really makes a difference in the airplane you should start off with.
The full set, but more interested in the maneuvers and tricks, not hovering.

whackflyer

Master member
Ok, I would start by saying you absolutely DO NOT want an edge as your first 3D plane.

Or anything balsa

Build an FT3D for a couple bucks - actually, build 2 or 3 of them (at least cut 2 or 3 of them out) and go smash it to pieces.

Then get a flat-plate profile foamy. I have a bunch of the Value Hobby kits, which are like $30+ electronics. You can build one all in for less than $50 with budget components. (EVERYONE should have one of these anyway, as it will tremendously accelerate your "stick feel" and they're just plain fun)

If you are dead-set on getting something "real" I'd recommend the RocHobby MX-S V2. Flies great on 3S packs, but it's a squirrly monster and should really have a Gyro in it. Mine has had LemonRX plain old gyro, but now has a Hobby Eagle flight controller.

When you can hover & harrier around trees, then move to balsa. And yes, this is all coming from (expensive) experience trying to learn with a 3DHS Edge 540.
Yep, I was planning on building an FT3D or FT Edge before I got one, and when I get it, I’m not gonna start throwing it around right away. Don’t really wanna wreck a 500$ plane on the first flight :). I’ll have a look at those value hobby kits...

Vimana89

Legendary member
You are running mini motor pack on it right? Do you have plans for it on file? I wonder what its scaled up version would do... :unsure:
I don't have any plans made for it yet.I'm running the Radial 1806 for the mini power packs. I have no experience making plans, so my best bet is just to prototype the plane until I'm happy with it and then make some plans, most likely just tracing on computer paper and scanning. This is the Outerzone page. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10611

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had the Baby Blender out today. Such a nice calm day out and I haven't flown anything in 2-3 days. Couldn't pass up the opportunity. Alas the kids are grounded and the woman didn't want to come, (she enjoyed the peaceful household that the kids are relegated to their rooms I guess). So no pics or vids of this one. It was a relaxing flight too. I had to reset it up from the last time I flew it some 3 weeks ago, wasn't programmed into my log so it was a kind of re-maiden. The greenspace I fly in has tall grass so it's easier on crashes but is a no go for take off and sketchy at best for landings, being this plane has landing gear. Hand launching was a bit of a thinker, over hand is a really unbalanced affair since there is nothing to grab onto on the bottom besides the tail section aft of the wing, but underhand holding onto the top wing made it easy. Took some trimming to get it to fly straight again but she stayed up on high rates and 30% expo. First pack was a lazy long sweeping turns with some loops and rolls but nothing crazy. Second pack was a bit more of a daring feat with some combo maneuvers and yes, I did do some higher altitude inverted... and nervously made sure I rolled out and not elevated out this time. Did that a few times and a bunch of full throttle low passes as well. Such a good flight and again no pics or vids... next time!

L Edge

Master member
The full set, but more interested in the maneuvers and tricks, not hovering.

For your first plane, just get a flat plate setup, made real cheap. In order to fly 3D, you should be able to do do slow axial rolls, fly knife edge in both directions, inverted being able to fly figure 8's, etc.

Most of the 3D manuvers are made up of the above combos and proper timing. Why start using an expensive plane. A good design can be made by using cheap foam. All it takes is a lot of practice. Good luck.