What Did You Fly Today

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 - I like it! It looks cool. Is the rudder mixed with the ailerons or separate? What keeps the wings from folding? How about a round tube for the fuselage and an edf.
This has elevons and a rudder(4ch). The rudder functions seperate and is on channel 4 left stick like normal. I integrate a lot of rudder into my turns with this plane to smooth them out and make them quicker. With just elevons, rolls are extremely axial but lazy, and with rudder worked in, it does snappy barrel rolls. The wings are a two-step air foil similar to KF(only difference is mine are no fold, just lazily glued).

This setup is plenty strong to not snap or fold in normal every day flight, although if someone were to go for extreme speed and high G aerobatics, some carbon fiber spars wouldn't hurt. I've considered EDF, but that would add to this plane's heaviness and sluggish elevator punch-out and carry more momentum and accelerate slower. Maybe if it were scaled differently with the right EDF setup it could be nice. I think once I try EDF again I'll go with a design with higher lift and maneuverability.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Took my Simple Stik out flying just 5 minutes ago. I increased the throws on all surfaces and it performed so well! If Red Bull was back in the 1910's, that is what it would look like! I think tomorrow I'll put the CG back about an inch and see how well it does 3d.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
No flying today. But it was nice enough that I got all my nitros out and put a little fuel through all of them on the ground just to ensure they still ran fine :ROFLMAO:

I'll be flying this weekend though since it's projected to be pretty nice. Probably the Avistar, which I haven't flown or really touched since 2016 (I don't know why - it flies really well) I pulled it down and de-seized the engine by just sticking it in fuel yesterday. Got it mounted back on today and it started on the first flip! The idle is a little high but that's due to both the air bleed being a little off and the fact that the only fuel I had on hand was FAI (all my other fuel has already been put in a truck and moved to my new house...) if I pushed it down any lower it started to get unstable. True in the air a lower idle will stabilize a bit because of windmilling but I'd still rather be safe than sorry. Normally this engine will idle at john deere speed all day.