What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
been waiting 3 days to fly this trojan but the local school system seems to thing after school activities for kids are more important then me perfecting my flying skills so finally decided to try it in the very m very small playground. but at least I got to fly it.

Nice flight, it looks like a nice floaty trainer, you handled the space well. Good job

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I blame it on the bad design of the control surface hinges... if not, it means I was improving😁

Attachments

• 66A75F5A-8A34-4E44-A4CC-228DE05C1621.jpeg
    66A75F5A-8A34-4E44-A4CC-228DE05C1621.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Into designing, building, and flying strange and unique things, a member of the flying club suggested building something large just to fit in car. Ran across some pictures of front lifting canards(in french means duck) so Daffy was born whose name my wife picked.

So dusted old Daffy and still surviving after 8 years, took it out today where the top wind was 5 mph which allowed me to do a loop. I wanted to enjoy the day and not use the head cam, so here is it's maiden flight years ago.

If anyone wants to duplicate it, will add pictures and dimensions to show how I put it together and adding those large size washers to get the CG and get it to fly.

That's a good looking plane. Cool design!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Two maidens today. The 1939 P.A. Special looked great in green and white...but flew like crap on 2s, 3s, and every prop combo within reason. I made very minor tweaks to the design and used heavier papered foam. Something threw it off bad. I still have the decent 3s AET proptotoype. I will do some more research, but this airframe is getting scrapped. On the other hand, my warped, battered, glued up large RET slender delta flew surprisingly decent after upping the design to 6" props. It doesn't have much power with 6x3x2 so I'll be up propping, but it handles much better at low speed. After this prototype gives it will be coming back upgraded in all black with a colored spine on the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the 1600mm glider flies again but with a close call. After a few circuits and playing around I went up really high and far away and lost signal. It would somewhat gain it back for a second or two and was able to get it into a level position and glide it down into the canola field. Needless to say it was a long walk :) . Before last weeks crash I had the antenna mounted on the outside of the fuse and after repairs I moved the rx to a different position and was to lazy to drill a new hole and route the antenna outside. I think the 3D printed inner structure does interfere with reception.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Combat Wars yesterday again, another successful day with minor injuries to Shredder. Shredder went 6 rounds until I had to put him aside for the evening. Round 6 it got 4 kills and had 3 midair collisions, one took a good chunk of the right wing out, 2nd I am not sure if there was any damage and the 3rd hit was right on one of my side motors which for a period of time it was still flying and then suddenly I lost control and down he came. Side motor nacelle was broken and motor hanging by the wires, main prop collet was broken. Each midair it had though it took out the other plane :)

https://youtu.be/UnzeVpwoLLQ

https://youtu.be/xQ6sMRlctqY

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wind died down enough to maiden a very simple AET plane I built. This is a somewhat highly swept(but not slender) tailed delta. I was afraid of tail heavy so maidened with 1600 mah battery and not to mention 5" props. She flew, but badly. Turns out with 850 she is not tail heavy as I though, and with the lighter battery and a 6x3x2 prop, this plane just flew very well. I wouldn't call it particularly aerobatic, but it is easy to fly and banks smooth, and can fly stable, turn, and climb without stalling,all at low speed and 50% throttle. This is a good yank and bank trainer for a novice, like an introduction to more advanced fighter and delta style planes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Hoomi

Master member
Our internet here at home is being flaky today, so may not get any photos of video posted soon. 2 flights each on the Simple Scout and the Freewing Stinger 64. One flight on Air Hooterville, and almost a successful maiden on the Freewing 64mm A-10. Came in a bit too high on the first landing approach, and either didn't spin the EDFs back up quick enough for another go-round, or didn't have enough battery to get them spun up. Either way, she just kind of floundered past the end of the runway instead of pulling up enough to come around, and then dropped.

She flew nice until then, once I'd gotten the feeling of the controls.

Corbarrad

Had the FunMan and the Twin Sparrow out again today.
Brought back everything intact as well.

My friend on the other hand was not quite so lucky, his 600mm balsa wing cracked one of the wing halves loose from the fuselage pod. Cracked a stringer, too so the covering is going to have to come off...
His Solius shed its wings when he landed in the tallish grass with a bit too much speed. Luckily the wing is rigged to come loose in exactly such a situation so there wasn't much damage aside fromthe insulation being stripped off one of the servo wires.

At least his ankle didn't sustain any more damage...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's some footage from the little tailed delta project. The camera angle was bad. didn't do a lot of higher speed stuff in this, the plane is definitely capable, but I wanted to mostly see how slow I could fly it and still handle good. Bear with the annoying camera angle. The most interesting part is definitely the landing though.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here's some footage from the little tailed delta project. The camera angle was bad. didn't do a lot of higher speed stuff in this, the plane is definitely capable, but I wanted to mostly see how slow I could fly it and still handle good. Bear with the annoying camera angle. The most interesting part is definitely the landing though.

THAT LANDING! That is exactly how I want to land my 3d planes, when I've got the skill. Come in high-alpha and just set it down. I was enjoying all the tight flying you were doing, and mentally composing a glowing post about it, then that darn landing! That was just plain glorious! (y)(y)

You WERE flying really tight, and the plane handled it very well. From slow to fast, she stayed up there and you pulled her around again and again. Congratulations on good design! Well done! :)