What Did You Fly Today

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I
It is a test of Depron vs. DGFB
the two have thickness equivalency, but the DGFB and DTFB are the same weight for area (VERY close)
your AUW's are 263 and 374, I wouldn't call that nearly the same weight. or is that line something not related to material difference?

if Depron is really that much lighter, I think I need to look into it some more.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
He was referring to Dollar General foam and Dollar Tree foam hence dtfb and dgfb
ok... video said something about depron...

1619794336324.png

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
your AUW's are 263 and 374, I wouldn't call that nearly the same weight. or is that line something not related to material difference?

if Depron is really that much lighter, I think I need to look into it some more.
those are the AUW of the crafts, ~176g of that are the motorpod I used for each. Look a the end of the vid for the pictures of weights and summaries.

If you are prepared to get some Chloroplast, and Carbon Fiber tubes, Depron looks like can be a winner for some projects. I still like the simplicity of Foamboard. I go down the street and I'm ready.

In this build I just used Depron as if it were DTFB (changing the glues) and it held up better than I thought. Naked DTFB is much weaker, They each have a Place. FB with paper is 3x as heavy by Stronger and stiffer. The Price for Depron is about the same as shipped WP Brown FB. CF isn't too expensive. (look at kite stores)

DGFB and DTFB are the same weight for the same size, just different thickness and densities. (230g/1232 in2 vs.115g / 600 in2 = 0.19 g/in2, or 27.5g/sf. Depron is 0.08g/in2, that's 11g/sf

I really want to see if there is any big difference in Battery life because of the weight.

FoamyDM

I didn't read it right the first time either.
This is Depron vs DGFB, which is comparable to DTFB in weight. The Depron is significantly lighter.
I used the DGFB because it had the Same Thickness, and drag area. it theoretically should fly the same and drain the battery the same...except for the lift vs weight deal.

I used the DGFB because it had the Same Thickness, and drag area. it theoretically should fly the same and drain the battery the same...except for the lift vs weight deal.
I have both Dollar stores nearby, and they're owned and run by the same company. I've bought the normal Adam's redi-board at the DG. Here they're the same product from the same factory. Are you sure yours is from different manufacturers?

FoamyDM

Ooh right today I flew that's not out of that team mustang this time with the rudder. And if flies awesome I don't know why I didn't build it earlier it's just a great plane to I didn't a great number of acrobatic turnovers with low passes just back and forth until it hits the top of the week and went in but that didn't actually stop me just cause anyway it was a great day flying!

I should probably paint it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
There are a multitude of foamboard suppliers on Ebay UK, but some are really dense and heavy (and very expensive too). I am wary about changing my supplier as it works fine for me at present, its just a touch heavier than the Adams ready board/ Dollar Tree foamboard but I can live with that.
Well actually I can't at present because they have no A1 white 5mm foamboard in stock :rolleyes::(. I need a break at present from building FB planes anyway so not too bothered.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
There are a multitude of foamboard suppliers on Ebay UK, but some are really dense and heavy (and very expensive too). I am wary about changing my supplier as it works fine for me at present, its just a touch heavier than the Adams ready board/ Dollar Tree foamboard but I can live with that.
Well actually I can't at present because they have no A1 white 5mm foamboard in stock :rolleyes::(. I need a break at present from building FB planes anyway so not too bothered.
dollar tree sells them in a2 format, so you are lucky to have a1!

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Test flew the ft edge today on a 4s and it flys great, even with a 15mph wind with gusts over 20mph. I'm also not sure where the idea of it being under powered on a C pack came from. It had plenty of power for most part, It could even blast out of a hover. I can't wait to fly it on a calm night and really see what it's capable of!
IMG_20210501_160414208.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
Test flew the ft edge today on a 4s and it flys great, even with a 15mph wind with gusts over 20mph. I'm also not sure where the idea of it being under powered on a C pack came from. It had plenty of power for most part, It could even blast out of a hover. I can't wait to fly it on a calm night and really see what it's capable of!
View attachment 199521
I just figured out where that scheme came from. Love the old aeroworks schemes!

OliverW

Legendary member
Right on! I've always had my eye on one of their edges, too bad they went out of business.
I had a plane reserved on their last shipment.. 50cc pitts python! The shipment sat on the water for a month longer than it was supposed to, and all the planes got moldy and were ruined, and they lost too much money to keep making planes so they went out of business