What Did You Fly Today

dani1390

I have created a new body of the Spitfire, which first makes the wing section curved instead of the trapezoid, and secondly, I make it easier to access the inside of the body from above as shown in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_010805 1.jpg
    IMG_20210425_010805 1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_010826.jpg
    IMG_20210425_010826.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_010849.jpg
    IMG_20210425_010849.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_010906.jpg
    IMG_20210425_010906.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_010922.jpg
    IMG_20210425_010922.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

dani1390

Took my mini Zero up for a quick flight to get my fingers confident, then took up my 46" BF-109 for her maiden flight!
Still the initial design, ut I'll get paint on it maybe this week. Also going to print out the plans and build another one to be sure everything is repeatable (and hopefully do a build video), then I'll share!
It is very beautiful. If you can, share the map so that others can enjoy building and flying it

dani1390

If I could, I would use the three new planes I built tomorrow to fly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_003948.jpg
    IMG_20210425_003948.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_004011.jpg
    IMG_20210425_004011.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210425_004026.jpg
    IMG_20210425_004026.jpg
  • IMG_20210425_004043.jpg
    IMG_20210425_004043.jpg
  • IMG_20210425_004048.jpg
    IMG_20210425_004048.jpg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Flights today:
  • FT EZ Glider 3 channel conversion - to much wind, wasn't very controlable
  • 4+x FT Tiny Trainer 3 channel (buddy boxing kids)
  • 4 channel Sparrow w/ Flight Controller & FPV gear - accidentally had it on manual most of the flight, FC didn't add as much stabilization as I had hoped, it had almost no rudder control and didn't have enough power to do a loop (it would wing over or something every time) - I first tried a 5.5x4.5 prop, but the ESC kept dropping out (worked fine on the thrust test - was a different battery and not through the FC... FC only showed a max current draw around 5-6A, the li-ion pack was rated for 15 or 20A, further testing needed to see if it was browning out - I did get ~15 minutes flight time and only pulled ~800mAh per the FC, and that was plenty long of a flight... so I might give up on the 30+ flight time setup if I can't get it to have enough power to do anything other then 'cruise')
  • 2x Arrow Flights LOS - flew rather nicely even in the wind
  • 2x Whoop class quad - wind was to much do to anything other then fly straight lines and I put it up for the day.
Forgot to record any of it with a camera or start the DVR ;(

Hoomi

Master member
Only three flights this weekend - one on the Flyzone Calypso, one on the Simple Scout, and a maiden (first flight of it for me) of the Hobbyking BFG 2600 I came home with a little over a week ago, that had belonged to a club member that recently passed away. Next time I fly the BFG, I need to put the GPS data logger into it, and see just how high I'm flying her. Based on the view in the video, I think I had her higher than any other of my planes, ever. Granted, with that 102" wingspan, she's also easier to see up that high.

This first flight on the BFG was done in tribute to her former pilot.

The wind really started kicking up, and couldn't decide which direction it wanted to blow, or how strong, right after the Scout flight, so everyone at the field decided to call it a day at that point.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I wasn't getting enough power off my 1s whoop so I put some 2s motors on it. I still only have 520mah 1s batteries but the thing rips on em on stock betaflight. Spent a whole pack doing speed runs up and down the street. Waiting for my 10 300mah 1s supposed to come friday.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
What did I fly last Friday ?
Well to begin with I flew the Bushwacker with the new 1050kv motor, it was much better plenty of power yet I was still able to cruise around at a gentle pace too. I landed it only to discover one of the wheels I had recently bought had broken (cheap plastic Chinese :mad: :poop:), should have stuck with the original foam ones I had on, wouldn't have minded if it was a heavy landing it was smooth.
Next plane was my Spitfire, turned out the grass was a bit long for my weak landing gear so it wouldn't take off conventionally I had to hand launch. The flight went well, no trimming needed I got a good 8 minutes flight time very un-eventful mainly circuits and the odd rolls. Landing was a disaster as expected the wire undercarriage just folded when she hit the runway. No big issue, I removed the landing gear and continued to fly the Spitfire for another 3 flights just belly landing it, the wheels got transferred to the Bushwacker for later.
Next plane was the F22, I set the throws to low and hadn't enough elevator, so pranged the nose on the first attempt to hand launch. After that with full throws and a bit of up elevator trim, it flew great. I had forgot just how much I enjoyed flying this plane, I was doing rolls, inverted, low passes it was great. I had another two flights with it before it was time to move on to the WOT trainer.
Its a nice model which weighs in at 2kg with a 4s 5000mAh battery, I have not flow it since last year just after converting it to electric from IC. It took off effortlessly and cruised around at under half throttle, I kept the first flight fairly sedate and sensible and after a good 8 minutes landed it with 60% charge left in the battery.
I swapped over the battery anyway and took her up again, this time I got more adventurous with loops, rolls and some low passes, possibly one of the more pleasurable flights of the day. Foam planes are good fun but you cant beat the feel of flying a balsa plane.
Finally it came around to the Edge. I was hoping John, one of the more experienced fliers from the club would turn up and maiden it for me. Unfortunately it was getting late in the day so I decided to maiden it myself. Bit of nerves kicked in but I've been there before, I taxied her onto the runway and opened the throttle. Straight up into the air no problem, plenty of power. I eased off on the throttle and it flew straight as an arrow no trim needed, I continued down the field and made my second turn to return up the runway for my first pass. However, just after my turn I noticed something fall from the plane it was my removable undercarriage. It didn't phase me the plane was still stable and I was easily able to control it even with the weight change. I continued to fly a couple of sensible circuits and fetched it in to land belly style.
Everything was fine, all in one piece loads of charge in the battery too, so after retrieving my undercarriage I hand launched it and flew a second time but without the undercarriage. This time I got more adventurous, inverted (amazingly no elevator correction needed either), rolls where smooth and without loss of altitude (this was still with reduced throws), I continued for another 4 minutes flying around and enjoying the experience.
However, all good things have to come to an end and it was time to land. Unfortunately the third landing, all be it identical to the last two wasn't a great success. First thing I noticed as I approached was one of the side force generators had come off (no damage to the wing fortunately, it could be easily glued on). I wont be re-fitting in fact I have already removed the other side, the plane looks better without them.
Sadly that was not the full extent of the damage, I noticed the motor was pointing lower than before. Upon close inspection It appeared the rear support bracket where the power pod glues into had been damaged (probably by the prop hitting the ground first). Removing the top hatch I could see the damage better. It was a weak spot and in hind sight I should have added extra support in the form of a sheet of 1/16 ply on the motor side of the bracket, which would have provided more support and bracing.
I hadn't set the brake on the ESC so the 12x6 prop was wind milling with the motor off, that wouldn't of helped. Its been proven that a rotating prop has more chance of digging into the ground on impact than a stationary one, leading to less prop damage and issues like mine. I could have added extra tape to my landing gear to provide a tighter fit in the slot too. All these measures are in hind sight.
To complete the repair, I need to remove the cowl from the front fuselage then remove the damaged bracket. I then need to make a new foamboard bracket with an identical 1/16 plywood bracket glued to it. That should sort out my problem, combined with my landing gear being glued in place for all future flight.
Sorry its so long Timmy I know you hate my long narratives, just pretend its a bedtime story it will help you sleep.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
What did I fly last Friday ?
Well to begin with I flew the Bushwacker with the new 1050kv motor, it was much better plenty of power yet I was still able to cruise around at a gentle pace too. I landed it only to discover one of the wheels I had recently bought had broken (cheap plastic Chinese :mad::poop:), should have stuck with the original foam ones I had on, wouldn't have minded if it was a heavy landing it was smooth.
Next plane was my Spitfire, turned out the grass was a bit long for my weak landing gear so it wouldn't take off conventionally I had to hand launch. The flight went well, no trimming needed I got a good 8 minutes flight time very un-eventful mainly circuits and the odd rolls. Landing was a disaster as expected the wire undercarriage just folded when she hit the runway. No big issue, I removed the landing gear and continued to fly the Spitfire for another 3 flights just belly landing it, the wheels got transferred to the Bushwacker for later.
Next plane was the F22, I set the throws to low and hadn't enough elevator, so pranged the nose on the first attempt to hand launch. After that with full throws and a bit of up elevator trim, it flew great. I had forgot just how much I enjoyed flying this plane, I was doing rolls, inverted, low passes it was great. I had another two flights with it before it was time to move on to the WOT trainer.
Its a nice model which weighs in at 2kg with a 4s 5000mAh battery, I have not flow it since last year just after converting it to electric from IC. It took off effortlessly and cruised around at under half throttle, I kept the first flight fairly sedate and sensible and after a good 8 minutes landed it with 60% charge left in the battery.
I swapped over the battery anyway and took her up again, this time I got more adventurous with loops, rolls and some low passes, possibly one of the more pleasurable flights of the day. Foam planes are good fun but you cant beat the feel of flying a balsa plane.
Finally it came around to the Edge. I was hoping John, one of the more experienced fliers from the club would turn up and maiden it for me. Unfortunately it was getting late in the day so I decided to maiden it myself. Bit of nerves kicked in but I've been there before, I taxied her onto the runway and opened the throttle. Straight up into the air no problem, plenty of power. I eased off on the throttle and it flew straight as an arrow no trim needed, I continued down the field and made my second turn to return up the runway for my first pass. However, just after my turn I noticed something fall from the plane it was my removable undercarriage. It didn't phase me the plane was still stable and I was easily able to control it even with the weight change. I continued to fly a couple of sensible circuits and fetched it in to land belly style.
Everything was fine, all in one piece loads of charge in the battery too, so after retrieving my undercarriage I hand launched it and flew a second time but without the undercarriage. This time I got more adventurous, inverted (amazingly no elevator correction needed either), rolls where smooth and without loss of altitude (this was still with reduced throws), I continued for another 4 minutes flying around and enjoying the experience.
However, all good things have to come to an end and it was time to land. Unfortunately the third landing, all be it identical to the last two wasn't a great success. First thing I noticed as I approached was one of the side force generators had come off (no damage to the wing fortunately, it could be easily glued on). I wont be re-fitting in fact I have already removed the other side, the plane looks better without them.
Sadly that was not the full extent of the damage, I noticed the motor was pointing lower than before. Upon close inspection It appeared the rear support bracket where the power pod glues into had been damaged (probably by the prop hitting the ground first). Removing the top hatch I could see the damage better. It was a weak spot and in hind sight I should have added extra support in the form of a sheet of 1/16 ply on the motor side of the bracket, which would have provided more support and bracing.
I hadn't set the brake on the ESC so the 12x6 prop was wind milling with the motor off, that wouldn't of helped. Its been proven that a rotating prop has more chance of digging into the ground on impact than a stationary one, leading to less prop damage and issues like mine. I could have added extra tape to my landing gear to provide a tighter fit in the slot too. All these measures are in hind sight.
To complete the repair, I need to remove the cowl from the front fuselage then remove the damaged bracket. I then need to make a new foamboard bracket with an identical 1/16 plywood bracket glued to it. That should sort out my problem, combined with my landing gear being glued in place for all future flight.
Sorry its so long Timmy I know you hate my long narratives, just pretend its a bedtime story it will help you sleep.
can you set an electrical brake on an esc?