What Did You Fly Today

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Got out and flew the new wing design today... was windy and the space was a bit small.

Build Log & notes: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/symetrical-kfm-inspired-wing.67603/

1624490515497.png

JasonK

there's only one tree in my field, and most all of my planes are hanging from the branches like Christmas ornaments :rolleyes:
I would love to have some trees to proximity fly around... the only ones at the airfield I go to are over a non-maintained ditch, so it really sucks if you miss judge something, so you don't want to get as close as you could otherwise.

DazDaMan

Elite member
The weather hasn't been too great here the past few days, so no flying.

However, next week is meant to start OK and, since I'm on holiday, I can hopefully fly some of the smaller birds.

I'll be getting the FT Spit rigged up, too, so flight shouldn't be too far off!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
took 4 planes to field this morning, knew it was gonna be hot and wanted to be quick. the planes, PA XR61, new PA Addiction X2, Crack Yak, and the Battle Chicken.

my love hate relationship continues with the XR61. although today was it's first complete flight w/o an emergency, it still somehow blew it's firewall again. i guess my epoxy and fiberglass job was not up to the challenge. good news it is somehow still alive, and i will try again. plane will either decide i've paid my penance and start to fly, or it needs to crash. it's too big to be a wall flower.

Jason-3.jpg

the PA Addiction on the other hand was amazing. it flies sooooo slow if you want, but can also pull some pretty dramatic stuff. it does not "snap" as quick as others i have, but that comes with the huge wing cord and light loading. can't have it all. i did not use the LED's on the first flight but did on the 2nd and even during the bright AZ morning you could see them. the crowd loved it! think this plane is gonna be my new fav. it's big enough but not huge, it's balsa, flies on a 3S-2200, and is very fun. can't wait till i get it tuned in.

Jason-12.jpg

the Crack Yak has been having issues. it flies perfect, then cuts out, crashes, i pick it up, and throw it back into the air? today i did notice the motor was hot, which is new but it shouldn't be. so, will have to do some more digging. i am using a 5V 5A micro, external BEC so i know i am not over drawing the system. sorry, no pics of it today.

the Battle Chicken was it's first fight/flight since it's last spectacular take out of JO's chicken. it suffered significant damage and took multiple operations to get it back to "cough, cough" fighting shape. i honestly wasn't sure it would actually fly again. after some motor direction issues and the ESC constantly reseting, it was as ready as it could be. we all lined up (4 chickens in the battle today), and let it rip. mine is currently the only hand launch, the others have rigged up gear on theirs. almost immediatly one of the chickens with gear had issues and tumbled on take off. the results were not pretty. the remaining 3 of us put on a bit of a show going after each other but, honestly, i think we all kinda realized these are the last 3. there have been chicken battles at the club since before i joined, these are the last of an epic line of chickens. i do have a pic of the carnage from the take off attempt but i won't post it out of respect to the Colonel and his chicken. :cry:

so, not the greatest but not the worst day i have ever had flying.

me :cool:

OliverW

Legendary member
took 4 planes to field this morning, knew it was gonna be hot and wanted to be quick. the planes, PA XR61, new PA Addiction X2, Crack Yak, and the Battle Chicken.

my love hate relationship continues with the XR61. although today was it's first complete flight w/o an emergency, it still somehow blew it's firewall again. i guess my epoxy and fiberglass job was not up to the challenge. good news it is somehow still alive, and i will try again. plane will either decide i've paid my penance and start to fly, or it needs to crash. it's too big to be a wall flower.

View attachment 202500

the PA Addiction on the other hand was amazing. it flies sooooo slow if you want, but can also pull some pretty dramatic stuff. it does not "snap" as quick as others i have, but that comes with the huge wing cord and light loading. can't have it all. i did not use the LED's on the first flight but did on the 2nd and even during the bright AZ morning you could see them. the crowd loved it! think this plane is gonna be my new fav. it's big enough but not huge, it's balsa, flies on a 3S-2200, and is very fun. can't wait till i get it tuned in.

View attachment 202505

the Crack Yak has been having issues. it flies perfect, then cuts out, crashes, i pick it up, and throw it back into the air? today i did notice the motor was hot, which is new but it shouldn't be. so, will have to do some more digging. i am using a 5V 5A micro, external BEC so i know i am not over drawing the system. sorry, no pics of it today.

the Battle Chicken was it's first fight/flight since it's last spectacular take out of JO's chicken. it suffered significant damage and took multiple operations to get it back to "cough, cough" fighting shape. i honestly wasn't sure it would actually fly again. after some motor direction issues and the ESC constantly reseting, it was as ready as it could be. we all lined up (4 chickens in the battle today), and let it rip. mine is currently the only hand launch, the others have rigged up gear on theirs. almost immediatly one of the chickens with gear had issues and tumbled on take off. the results were not pretty. the remaining 3 of us put on a bit of a show going after each other but, honestly, i think we all kinda realized these are the last 3. there have been chicken battles at the club since before i joined, these are the last of an epic line of chickens. i do have a pic of the carnage from the take off attempt but i won't post it out of respect to the Colonel and his chicken. :cry:

so, not the greatest but not the worst day i have ever had flying.

How many bolts did you use to hold the motor on the XR61?

JasonK

Re-maidenned my new wing design after moving all the electronics inside the wing and Re-maidenned my FT Dart after loading up iNAV 3.0 onto it.

1624749380692.jpg 1624749398590.png

FPV video feed from the 2 flights, had to come in fast/hard on the ft dart as the wind and rain came back... and wanted to get it in before the rain got hard (the wind was already really serious).

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
How many bolts did you use to hold the motor on the XR61?

4 x 3mm allen heads w/ washers.

it looks like i was to conservative on the epoxy and glass layers. i also need to figure out some lateral support. it appears the fiberglass failed as the ply released from the CF face plate and motor box. thank goodness i fit the firewall so tight, pretty sure that's the reason it made it back once again.

i will take another swing, this time with slower acting epoxy w/ a higher strength and several more layers of fiberglass. last resort we order a new motor box from PA and start a nose replacement operation.

cross fingers. really want this plane to fly.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Re-maidenned my new wing design after moving all the electronics inside the wing and Re-maidenned my FT Dart after loading up iNAV 3.0 onto it.

View attachment 202506 View attachment 202507

FPV video feed from the 2 flights, had to come in fast/hard on the ft dart as the wind and rain came back... and wanted to get it in before the rain got hard (the wind was already really serious).

nice, i soooo need to build another FPV wing.

i like your step design, simple, strong, easy and cheap to build. checks all the boxes for a high speed FPV rig that is going to crash.

i am working on a monster BBQ skewer, 3D printed support, wide A frame that will be skinned with FB and then glassed. hopefully i will get to it sooner rather than later.

JasonK

nice, i soooo need to build another FPV wing.

i like your step design, simple, strong, easy and cheap to build. checks all the boxes for a high speed FPV rig that is going to crash.

i am working on a monster BBQ skewer, 3D printed support, wide A frame that will be skinned with FB and then glassed. hopefully i will get to it sooner rather than later.

what I have for build logs/reference
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/symetrical-kfm-inspired-wing.67603/
this comes in at about 200g AWU with a 2s 650mAh battery, however this last fight it didn't do so well, something was off and I can't place it yet.

OliverW

Legendary member

it looks like i was to conservative on the epoxy and glass layers. i also need to figure out some lateral support. it appears the fiberglass failed as the ply released from the CF face plate and motor box. thank goodness i fit the firewall so tight, pretty sure that's the reason it made it back once again.

i will take another swing, this time with slower acting epoxy w/ a higher strength and several more layers of fiberglass. last resort we order a new motor box from PA and start a nose replacement operation.

Gotcha! I was going to say only reason why I could see it coming loose would be running not enough bolts, or a unbalanced prop or spinner

Bricks

Master member

Can you pin the firewall?

The Fopster

Master member
Haven't flown anything since the end of April, mainly due to the weather, and the last time I did that I ended up in a tree!

Well, I flew two of my little Eachine warbirds tonight - the Mustang and Trojan - and.... I ENDED UP IN THE TREE AGAIN!

Luckily I got the Trojan down with little bother, then went to fly the Mustang, but I'm seriously considering not flying in the field now!
Heard a really interesting thing the other day about skiing in a forest. If you look at the trees, you hit the trees - you tend to go where you look. So the trick is to look at the snow between the trees. Just see the path rather than the obstructions.

So: don’t look at the tree. Look at the space around the tree. All your problems will be solved. Probably.

Failing that, try a chainsaw.

And if you want to know why I was so interested in the article about trees, here is one of my recent “landings”:
1624920211295.png