What Did You Fly Today

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
That's why I swear by FRsky these days the range is exceptional on them and if you do a spectrum analysis of the frequency hopping there are no gaps the spread is excellent.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Those FRsky R9 long range receivers are good, but if memory serves me right they don't support telemetry ?

Great question! I'll have to say telemetry is supported. The DJI goggles showed my GPS location and RSSI icon. I fly mostly spektrum so I haven't paid much attention to telemetry in the past, but I can certainly see the appeal.

And that reminds me, I need to put the sounds back into my radio so it can tell me "Telemetry Lost/Telemetry Recovered".

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My apology the R9 does support telemetry its the L9R that doesn't support telemetry
1636162312265.png

FrSky L9R Long Range Receiver w/ Antenna holder (9/12ch Non-Telemetry) FPV, Multicopter receiver

Features:

The L9R receiver (9/12ch non-telemetry long range receiver).
More channels: 1~9ch from conventional channel outputs, 1~12ch from SBUS port.
With RSSI output: Analog voltage output (0~3.3V).
Longer operating range: Up to three times of the operating range for V8 or D series.

Extend your range of your FrSky 2.4GHz system with this L9R long range receiver. This receiver will give you up to 3x the range of a standard V8 or D series and 2x the range of X series.
I use the X8R which has built in telemetry and has SPORT which supports additional telemetry plug in units like:
1636162529488.png
Mini Lipo voltage sensor which sends a real time status of your Lipo voltage to your transmitter.
1636162675933.png
This does the same thing but also has a display showing each cell voltage, so you and use it as a voltage checker as well.
I use both types, my Radiomaster transmitter is set up to give me warnings at specific voltage levels too. So I will never drop to a critical level on my Lipo when flying or run out of juice ;)(y)

CappyAmeric

Elite member
So, yeah did some flying today.

Wow.

Wife was super generous and as an early birthday gift, bought me a pair of DJI goggles and the DJI Air camera/vtx. I didn't have anything I wanted to put the camera into right away, so I looked, and found a semi local person selling a built 5" quadcopter. It had the Air unit installed, which by itself is nearly $200. It was the Flywoo Mr.Croc frame, and the Mamba F4 flight controller. All for $300. Yeah, it was a good deal! And, can't forget, for an additional $25 he threw in a FRSky R9 and soldered in the R9mm LRS receiver.

Well, after a crash course in how to do programming on my Taranis X9D, I got it working. Drove to a friend's farm and put it in the air.

The video was AMAZING! And I was able to fly it out to about half a mile before I got low signal on the TX. Video was perfect the whole way.

Brought it back, flew around closer, but still further than I'd trust my Spektrum gear. It was what FPV is supposed to be, lots of fun.

Turns out that I had the TX set to 10mw, the lowest setting. So if I hit half a mile with that, then bumping it up to 500mw should prove interesting.

The video was boring, weather was very questionable so it wasn't particularly great for editing. I'll plan something more scenic in a future flight. A few places I buzzed around today would look amazing if I took a little time to plan out the route for others to find worth watching.
The people who diss DJI FPV haven’t flown it. It is immersive like nothing else. I love goggles down, “Enter The Sandman” on AirPods with some Matty Flips…

And crank that output to 1200 mw

bwarz

Master member
Finally got around to upgrading the motor in my BF109 this week and got it out for a test flight right as dusk was rolling in. Upped it to a 2814 1050kV still with the 10" prop. Kinda wish I would have tried the 9x6 like @The Fopster suggested, but when the mood hit me this week (4 months later) I went for it.

Tossed it up for a real quick flight as light was waning (don't let the video fool you - it was getting harder and harder to see by the second as the sun dipped behind the treeline)

In all the flight felt even better. A bit more power and a very comfortable cruise speed at just under half throttle. Although we didn't get the takeoff, I think that felt a little better as well (still haven't given it the bit of right-thrust as suggested and proven by @FlyingWithRyan) The additional motor weight let me remove almost 30g of cowl weight. All Up Weight at 920g which includes the 185g 2200mAh 3S battery looks to probably give me an 8-10minute flight time.

The left side fly-by at about 1:55 was at about 1/4 throttle with full flaps.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I've had about 15 flights with the TT Evo, now. Flys very well! Moderately fast on 3S (2200/4000). Slows to a crawl with full flaps. (I might need to change the full flaps voice callout to "Reverse"!) Flys on rails, and very predictable, so far. The landing gear appeared to be more than adequate, but the axles are soft, and the springs/limiters are easily tweaked. I plan to mod those for better durability, eventually.
Hope to have video soon. I usually fly alone.
IMG_20211030_162532666_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20211030_162459879_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20211030_162510965_HDR~2.jpg

mcmoyer

I've had about 15 flights with the TT Evo, now. Flys very well! Moderately fast on 3S (2200/4000). Slows to a crawl with full flaps. (I might need to change the full flaps voice callout to "Reverse"!) Flys on rails, and very predictable, so far. The landing gear appeared to be more than adequate, but the axles are soft, and the springs/limiters are easily tweaked. I plan to mod those for better durability, eventually.

Beautiful plane. If I didn't already have 2 STOL planes, I think I'd be getting that one.

I also fly alone, so I got this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NT9T6XQ/?tag=lstir-20

it only looks slightly silly :)

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
View attachment 211299 View attachment 211300 View attachment 211301
Would you recommend it? I’ve nearly bought it on a number of occasions.