What Did You Fly Today

Scotto

Elite member
I feel a little out of place with this. Its more of a "what did I fly tonight." But I fly this almost every night. She started as a scale prototype but a hundred repairs later she just is a one of a kind. New slow fly prop tonight was a very noticable improvement. ~800g auw radial "B" motor 38in ws. Video from a few weeks ago . Love this little plane:cry: gettin all choked up:p

Attachments

• 20211134_224890.gif
    20211134_224890.gif
    288.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211103_235132.jpg
    20211103_235132.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Very windy at the flying field. My first rolling takeoff! By myself, so had to stop flying to snap the video for you guys, so sorry no fancy flying. Landing were fine as long as I kept power on. Even managed a few touch and goes, another first for me.

My phone takes MP4 files, but when uploading it finishes with an error about the filetype not allowed. How do I upload video? For now, you'll have to be satisfied with a screen shot. Obviously too high for me to rig up guide wires, so you'll just have to take my word it was really flying.
You have to upload to YouTube

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I feel a little out of place with this. Its more of a "what did I fly tonight." But I fly this almost every night. She started as a scale prototype but a hundred repairs later she just is a one of a kind. New slow fly prop tonight was a very noticable improvement. ~800g auw radial "B" motor 38in ws. Video from a few weeks ago . Love this little plane:cry: gettin all choked up:p
Is that the Stearman???

Looks great. Some old Joe Walsh? Now I'm gettin' all choked up.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Finally I got out flying today, it was only brief but worth the effort.
I took my 3ch Tiny Trainer into the field at the rear of my house, I had four 2s 500mAh lipo's with me. The model was still set up with the original MT1806 2280kv motor and 12amp ESC. I kept it like that because it made a nice little powered glider, it was just nice for doing a bit of soaring.
However, I am not sure if its because my abilities have improved, but I wasn't over impressed with the performance today. So when I finished the 4th flight, I went home and stripped out the power pod and ESC :unsure: upgrade time ;)(y).
Luckily I usually have lots of spares and managed to find an MT2204 2300kv motor, I've use these on the 4ch version of the Tiny and its far superior wrt speed. It does needs a 20amp ESC though and fortunately I still had one left. I also had to upgrade the battery terminal to an XT30, the JST connectors are not up to the job with the MT2204 set-up.
So tonight I have been soldering XT30's to the ESC and my 2s lipo's and fitting bullet connectors to the motor and ESC. I have a new plywood fire wall cut out, it will need drilling tomorrow when I eventually get up.
The powerpod will be new I am building that next, so the whole power train will be finished and re-installed tomorrow. Ready for another couple of flights weather permitting.
The best part of the conversion is: my 3s 700mAh and 1000mAh Lipo's already have XT30 connectors, which means I can use these to power the same model, the Motor can handle 3s. Anyway Its helped pass a bit of time and keep me occupied during a boring start to my shift.
In case your wondering, MT1806 and 12amp ESC wont go to waste. I can always use it to build a small fan powered boat (another small winter project).

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I flew the 3ch Tiny Trainer again today, 2 flights. The first was a lot better than yesterday, the new motor upgrade made a big difference even with just a 2s 500mAh battery installed. I was still using just over half throttle to maintain level flight and it was a reasonably still day, hardly any wind. This setup would be ideal for those warm sunny days with plenty of thermals. Anything above a 15mph wind I would definately swap to the 3s 700mAh battery option.
The second flight I cut short as the elevator authority seemed a bit lacking, when it landed I realised the control horn had worked loose so the elevator wasn't giving full deflection.
Unfortunately I hadn't charged a 3s 700mAh battery so couldn't try it out today, plus with the elevator issue I had to return home for a repair anyway.
I setup the 3s battery so its top mounted like my 4ch versions of the Tiny. I need to make a plastic canopy to cover the battery, tidy it up and improve the aerodynamics.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I flew the 3ch Tiny Trainer again today, 2 flights. The first was a lot better than yesterday, the new motor upgrade made a big difference even with just a 2s 500mAh battery installed. I was still using just over half throttle to maintain level flight and it was a reasonably still day, hardly any wind. This setup would be ideal for those warm sunny days with plenty of thermals. Anything above a 15mph wind I would definately swap to the 3s 700mAh battery option.
The second flight I cut short as the elevator authority seemed a bit lacking, when it landed I realised the control horn had worked loose so the elevator wasn't giving full deflection.
Unfortunately I hadn't charged a 3s 700mAh battery so couldn't try it out today, plus with the elevator issue I had to return home for a repair anyway.
I setup the 3s battery so its top mounted like my 4ch versions of the Tiny. I need to make a plastic canopy to cover the battery, tidy it up and improve the aerodynamics.
Glad to hear your out flying!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
A beautiful sunny day with steady winds SSE at 7 and 49F! Flew the 150% DR1 again and am getting the hang of it. Even with the Aura5 (sorry Ian) it takes equal amounts of aileron and rudder to turn. The real thing must have been exciting the first time you flew it. Running a 2217 1100KV in it and didn't need more that 1/2 throttle to climb nicely. Could easily step down to a 2212. It flies so slow that in a 7mph wind I could almost set it down without the wheels turning.
Put some 4" wheels on the Skymaster and was able to take off from the harvested bean field. Another nice big gentle plane.

IMG_3407.JPG

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
A beautiful sunny day with steady winds SSE at 7 and 49F! Flew the 150% DR1 again and am getting the hang of it. Even with the Aura5 (sorry Ian) it takes equal amounts of aileron and rudder to turn. The real thing must have been exciting the first time you flew it. Running a 2217 1100KV in it and didn't need more that 1/2 throttle to climb nicely. Could easily step down to a 2212. It flies so slow that in a 7mph wind I could almost set it down without the wheels turning.
Put some 4" wheels on the Skymaster and was able to take off from the harvested bean field. Another nice big gentle plane.

View attachment 211173
Come on you don't need an Aura5 for coordinated turns ? That's why you have 2 thumbs, one for Rudder and the other for Aileron. Sorry I didn't ask, you do have 2 thumbs don't you :eek: ? got to check these things you know, don't want to offend anyone.
However, I did set up a mix once for my Sportster, that gave me rudder added when I operated the ailerons. It was an easy setup on Open Tx, I even had it on a slider so I could vary the amount of rudder I wanted till I got it optimised.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

View attachment 211173
I downloaded your update to this , love this plane, not sure when I will start it but you just bumped it up the list for me (y)(y)

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Come on you don't need an Aura5 for coordinated turns ? That's why you have 2 thumbs, one for Rudder and the other for Aileron. Sorry I didn't ask, you do have 2 thumbs don't you :eek: ? got to check these things you know, don't want to offend anyone.
However, I did set up a mix once for my Sportster, that gave me rudder added when I operated the ailerons. It was an easy setup on Open Tx, I even had it on a slider so I could vary the amount of rudder I wanted till I got it optimised.
Yup, both thumbs present and accounted for. The Aura is helping the plane survive until I catch up with it. May take awhile. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
And worry not about offending me. In the '70s the first thing the Army issued me was thick skin and I've held on to it.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Yup, both thumbs present and accounted for. The Aura is helping the plane survive until I catch up with it. May take awhile. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
And worry not about offending me. In the '70s the first thing the Army issued me was thick skin and I've held on to it.
I have skin like a Rhino, the only things that offends me are criminals and child molesters

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It has stayed nice so I set up my Explorer with flaperons! I'm taking advantage of the weather while we have it.
What's your AUW for your explorer??
What motor are you running on it??
I'm thinking of rebuilding mine.... Last one got kinda beat up on takeoff.... Slap bang into a tree trunk 😂

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was surprised for the last 2 days we have had very little wind here too, its been nice for maiden flights and ideal for test flying the Tiny trainer. The only problem is the farmers field is muddy with pools of standing water from all the rain, so landings can be a bit wet at times and muddy.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Here is a tip avoid launching you model directly at tree's it makes for a much more pleasant flight :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Lol... It was my 1st attempted flight..
I thought I could pull up in time...
But alas my brain wouldn't respond... I was terrified.. plus it was a rocket on full throttle 😂