What Did You Fly Today

mcmoyer

man...mixed day today at the field. Brought out my 13th Squad Zero, Simple Stick, MS Spitfire, FMS 800mm T-28, and Arrows Marlin. Had two holds happen with my DX9 today, one with the AR410 and one with a LemonRX Stab+

Unfortunately, the Simple Stick was coming out of loop and the hold happened right at the end. Need to rebuild the fuse.

The other hold happened with my T-28, but luckily I was high enough to recover that one.

Then I realized my Marlin was draining the batteries more than normal. I think I have a bearing going out in the fan

But the good news was that the Zero, Spitfire & T-28 all flew awesome.

So...I have a question. When people talk about other transmitters having better range, is it just because of the protocol they're using or are the radios higher powered? If I got a multi-protocol radio, but still used my DSMX receivers, would I still get the holds?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
So...I have a question. When people talk about other transmitters having better range, is it just because of the protocol they're using or are the radios higher powered? If I got a multi-protocol radio, but still used my DSMX receivers, would I still get the holds?

different protocals will get different ranges, module TX power and antenna quality & placement on both ends can effect range also. I have flown DSMX and D8 and got similarish ranges (I think DSMX did a bit better then the D8), I got an ELRS module a few months back and am slowly converting everything over, so much more range [even on low power, I am faily sure I could get a few km of range based on what I was at at the edge of line of sight then figuring -6db signal for each doubling after that and looking at where my signal was vs the sensitivity of the RX]. The record range for the system is something like 30+km, not even running at the max power the TX module can run. [at that range curvature of the earth gets to be a significant issue in being able to go further - as you have to get higher and higher into the air to not have the earth block the signal]

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have had a couple of issues with models crashing, some admittedly where pilot error, but the odd ones I couldn't explain where always with DSMx gear even with my muti protocol transmitter.
So far touch wood, its never happened with any other make of receiver I use. That's why I am moving away from Spektrum and sticking with FRsky.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I didn't fly this, but wish I had though, you gotta love the Piper Cub specially with a real engine in it (plus the video footage was great too, its worth having a decent camera).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Got me thinking if I get up early enough and get my jobs done on the Sea Otter, I can charge a 3s 700mAh and fly the 3ch Tiny Trainer I recently upgraded.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
well..... my parents where to tired to walk down to the field with my brother and i ( @Jesse Dupreez )
sooo we---- I decided to try flying it up here at our house........
well you know what there is enough space to fly planes up here.....
BUT!!! not enough space... if your prop nut start coming loose... and you've no longer got full power for emergency accelerating.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Result??? I HATE THAT STOOPID TREE!!!!!
luckily the prop only came off when the plane hit the tree, and we where able to locate the prop.... alas for the prop nut.. RIP:ROFLMAO:
anyway... managed to get the plane out of the tree..... turns out the plane had not been damaged by its mishap with the tree, but the damage occured when it slid down the pole i was using to pry it out with.. and smashed onto me.... luckily its only very minor damage....:ROFLMAO:

Am i going to try fly it again in this small area? OF COURSE!
Video is uploading.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
well..... my parents where to tired to walk down to the field with my brother and i ( @Jesse Dupreez )
sooo we---- I decided to try flying it up here at our house........
well you know what there is enough space to fly planes up here.....
BUT!!! not enough space... if your prop nut start coming loose... and you've no longer got full power for emergency accelerating.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Result??? I HATE THAT STOOPID TREE!!!!!
luckily the prop only came off when the plane hit the tree, and we where able to locate the prop.... alas for the prop nut.. RIP:ROFLMAO:
anyway... managed to get the plane out of the tree..... turns out the plane had not been damaged by its mishap with the tree, but the damage occured when it slid down the pole i was using to pry it out with.. and smashed onto me.... luckily its only very minor damage....:ROFLMAO:

Am i going to try fly it again in this small area? OF COURSE!
Video is uploading.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

it says "processign the viideo" and doesnt work. I would love to see it though.

Bricks

Master member
man...mixed day today at the field. Brought out my 13th Squad Zero, Simple Stick, MS Spitfire, FMS 800mm T-28, and Arrows Marlin. Had two holds happen with my DX9 today, one with the AR410 and one with a LemonRX Stab+

Unfortunately, the Simple Stick was coming out of loop and the hold happened right at the end. Need to rebuild the fuse.

The other hold happened with my T-28, but luckily I was high enough to recover that one.

Then I realized my Marlin was draining the batteries more than normal. I think I have a bearing going out in the fan

But the good news was that the Zero, Spitfire & T-28 all flew awesome.

Do you have telemetry hooked up on your DX9? So you know it was a hold and maybe not a brown out or receiver placement? I have at least 70 DSMX receivers and the only time I had loss of signal was my RF deck on my DX9 would work intermittently. Sent into Horizon replaced the RF deck cost me nothing only shipping too them.

Holds happen to all radios as some point in time, many times here more about Spektrum as there are more Spektrum radios out there. Many beginners will start with Spektrum radios and many times there setups are not really that good. When you look at most of the top pilots they run Spektrum when your putting that much money in the air there is a reason for the brand they choose. I have both Spektrum DX9 and RadioMaster TX16s range wise do not notice any difference. My biggest complaint of the Radiomaster is the ergonomics sucks it is just a square box and I end up accidently flipping switches as the case is so narrow.

DazDaMan

Elite member
A bunch of guys went up to the airfield today to have an impromptu Remembrance Day flypast.

Originally, the club chairman was going to fly his foamy BAe Hawk, but I didn't know when, so I just went for it with the Dynam Spitfire, flying a few circuits in the grey Scottish skies.

The next thing I knew, I had the Hawk flying alongside!

We did a few loose formation flypasts before I landed, and then the chairman went off and did a solo display.

Someone did get video, but I didn't have my camera-phone set up right, so most of my shots show either a Spitfire in the middle-distance, or the Hawk flying closer, or lots of grey skies!!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
FT MS Corsair and FMS 540 Edge.

I am always amazed how really well MS warbirds fly. Really well.

23F4E9E6-5AA5-4037-8CC1-87AFA3DF7FAE.jpeg

M

MCNC

"Is that called a sudden unscheduled disassembly? ... I am not an accomplished flier, I am in that category of happy to see the plane fly in circles and land in tall grass.

Got er back together to fly into the NC sunset. Shout out to Ohio: flying forward down here.
image000000.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Got a list as long as my arm of jobs to do today, but if the weather is as nice today as it was yesterday. I am off flying for 20 minutes with my recently modified Tiny trainer, this time with a 3s in it (y):sneaky: