What Did You Fly Today

Brian B

Elite member
Just make it about flying. I've always been a loner in my other hobbies, but this hobby can benefit a lot from shared ideas. And not just social media. Seems the majority of flyers are ARF, which means in clubs too the % will be high. And experienced flyers gravitate to fuel. That's the way it is, but that's cool. But go out there and fly anyway. You do you. Since I joined a year ago, within 6 months of joining my club, I got with one of the ARF guys and we built two new FT Cruisers, at the field on the bench with tools and hot glue gun, and maidened them that afternoon. Lots of curious looks. With my FT planes (barely) flying around, one of the older guys brought out his 10 year old foamboard SR-71 (!) and zipped that thing around like a stunt rocket. Had no idea.

There are other guys around that club besides that blowhard, so go hang with them.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Flew three packs through the JTA extra jd, I absolutely love this thing. I’m trying to decide which one to get next, maybe the Gamebird… :unsure:
9FFE2DDF-336E-4DA4-B69C-DADC31618C29.jpeg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
NO You Don't Need A BirdGame:LOL:, You need a spitfire, the most ICONIC WWII Fighter, IT IS A WORLD RENOWNED CLASSIC!!!
Sorry disagree, as a true Brit I need to point out that the Hurricane actually shot down more enemy aircraft than the Spitfire, more over the most successful British squadron was made up of Polish pilots flying Hurricanes.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The real un-sung hero of the RAF was the De Havilland Mosquito which was actually 20mph faster than a Spitfire, they scared the :poop: out of the Germans who struggled to intercept them.
Sadly the British introduced the Hornet in 1944, otherwise that would have been even more devastating than the Mosquito. It was a twin engine single seater long range fighter.
1637374886496.png
I am very fortunate to have one full balsa construction hung in my bedroom :)

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
During the Battle of France and Battle of Britain in 1940, RAF pilots discovered a serious problem in fighter planes with Merlin engines, such as the Hurricane and Spitfire. When the plane went nose-down to begin a dive, the resulting negative g-force would flood the engine's carburetor, causing the engine to stall.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The real un-sung hero of the RAF was the De Havilland Mosquito which was actually 20mph faster than a Spitfire, they scared the :poop: out of the Germans who struggled to intercept them.
Sadly the British introduced the Hornet in 1944, otherwise that would have been even more devastating than the Mosquito. It was a twin engine single seater long range fighter.
View attachment 212026
I am very fortunate to have one full balsa construction hung in my bedroom :)
Scaled down version I might add.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Ahh!
During the Battle of France and Battle of Britain in 1940, RAF pilots discovered a serious problem in fighter planes with Merlin engines, such as the Hurricane and Spitfire. When the plane went nose-down to begin a dive, the resulting negative g-force would flood the engine's carburetor, causing the engine to stall.
I think I read something about that.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
That must have been worrying when think that the Spitfire was designed primarily as a high level interceptor, so dives would have been an integral part of its maneuvers.
The Hawker Tempest is another great plane that could easily out run the Spitfire, the only difference being the Tempest was a low level fighter at altitude the Spitfire had more superior speed.

M

MCNC

Just took a friend out to the hayfield and let him quickly crash my tiny trainer... Np will use a diff approach next time. Get it high and hand him the controls.