What is HQ prop?

Flyingshark

Master member
I think that's the style of having flat instead of tapered or rounded tips on the propeller blades.
Non-bullnose:
1610302586781.png
Bullnose:
1610302639760.png

Flyingshark

Master member
Umm, it looks different...? Maybe someone else who understands props more can explain the pros/cons. If there wasn't an advantage to bullnose, I doubt companies would make that kind of prop.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Bullnose props produce more thrust than regulars. The increase thrust comes with much higher drag, resulting in bullnose props being less efficient. Bullnose props work in situations where you can not use a larger prop. Situation like on a quad, you can’t use a 6 inch prop on a 5 inch quad. The props will hit each other.

Bifi.baarlo

It will work if the prop fits, some DJI props are self tighten, they don't fit on every motor, but props with a standard mounting hole should fit, maybe spacers are required.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I love Gemfan :love:

Gemfan are teh EBIL of props. You look at them at the wrong angle and they shatter. HQ isnt too bad. I run Dal Cyclones on everything I fly quad wise. they have a super consistent power across the entire throttle range. Slightly heavier but with motor tech these days thats a non issue. HQ and Gemfan do not they have sweet spots which is why some pilots love them and they fly smooth and others cant tune em for crap with mid throttle oscillations due to their rates and flying styles.

Master Air screw and APC are top of the line fixed wing props so I dont know much about those. Yet.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Gemfan are teh EBIL of props. You look at them at the wrong angle and they shatter. HQ isnt too bad. I run Dal Cyclones on everything I fly quad wise. they have a super consistent power across the entire throttle range. Slightly heavier but with motor tech these days thats a non issue. HQ and Gemfan do not they have sweet spots which is why some pilots love them and they fly smooth and others cant tune em for crap with mid throttle oscillations due to their rates and flying styles.

Master Air screw and APC are top of the line fixed wing props so I dont know much about those. Yet.

Forgot to properly tighten an 11x7 Master Airscrew three-blade when bench testing it. The prop released at around 1/2 - 2/3 throttle, flew across the room (I was testing it in a lateral position rather than facing up, which is good as it could have taken out a lightbulb or something had it take off upwards) hit the wall then cartwheeled off sideways... It barely even chipped. I Don't think I could find a mark on it now.

A 9" three-blade not made by master airscrew faced the same challenge recently (I tightened it as much as I could, it just couldn't get sufficient grip on the motor shaft) snapped a blade off.