What motor?

Magne

Hi everybody, I want to get started building and flying my own rc airplanes. The problem is that i dont know how to find the right motor. Maybe you guys can give me a hint?

Thanks on advance Magne.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
That question is more easily answered by deciding what kind and size of airplane you want to do. Are you looking at FT airplanes or designing your own? What size and material? Motor choice is based entirely on what size plane, style of flying you are anticipating, and a little bit on your skill level.

Magne

I wanna build the Mighty mini arrow from flight test. I know I can look in their store I just wanted to hear if there was a rule of thumb I could use if I wanted to design my own models in the future.

HVB79

A good rule of thumb is to look at an existing model that is similar in size, weight, and performance to what you want to build. Then borrow the recommended power system. (motor, ESC, battery, prop) There are more math based approaches to sizing a power system but this is a good simple method that will work well for most cases.

For example all the Mighty Mini airplanes use the same power system.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Another good rule of thumb is to have more than 1:1, more like 1.5:1 thrust to weight ratio. there are plenty of thrust calculators, and many motors will even say what sized plane they are for. Also, remember to get an appropriately sized esc for your motor. Most designs will also recommend a motor and propeller size. For the arrow, something like an 1806 maybe if you want more power a 2204 at 2200kv should be good.

Good luck in your builds

Foamforce

The rule of thumb I’ve seen is to get a motor that has a thrust to weight ratio of at least 1:1 for a trainer, 1.5:1 for acrobatic, or 2:1 for 3d flying.

For the mighty mini arrow, the all up weight is listed at 170g without battery. The suggested 3 cell 800mah is another 80g, so 250g total. If you wanted to do acrobatics with that, you would then want around 250x1.5=375g of thrust. The 2204 2300kv motor they recommend puts out something like 440g thrust so you would have 1.76:1 thrust ratio, so pretty peppy.

You can find the thrust rating of motors on either the manufacturers website or the sellers website sometimes. It’s kind of a crapshoot though.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The rule of thumb I’ve seen is to get a motor that has a thrust to weight ratio of at least 1:1 for a trainer, 1.5:1 for acrobatic, or 2:1 for 3d flying.

For the mighty mini arrow, the all up weight is listed at 170g without battery. The suggested 3 cell 800mah is another 80g, so 250g total. If you wanted to do acrobatics with that, you would then want around 250x1.5=375g of thrust. The 2204 2300kv motor they recommend puts out something like 440g thrust so you would have 1.76:1 thrust ratio, so pretty peppy.

You can find the thrust rating of motors on either the manufacturers website or the sellers website sometimes. It’s kind of a crapshoot though.
I have 1:1 on my trainer and it does not fly too well. I try to make everything 1.5:1 just to have that extra little bit of power if I need it

Foamforce

I have 1:1 on my trainer and it does not fly too well. I try to make everything 1.5:1 just to have that extra little bit of power if I need it

Yeah, that was my experience too, and is probably why FT designs tend to be slightly over powered. When I originally built the Storch, I had a B pack equivalent motor in it which wasn’t quite 1:1. I could fly it, but it was somewhat difficult to recover from mistakes. On the other end of the spectrum, I built a Delta and overpowered it, and that was difficult too because I got into trouble so fast!

Bricks

Master member
I like to over power it`s the reason for throttle control, as long as it does not over weight the aircraft. More weight faster flying to stay flying, need to find the happy medium.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I wanna build the Mighty mini arrow from flight test. I know I can look in their store I just wanted to hear if there was a rule of thumb I could use if I wanted to design my own models in the future.

A lot of it depends on size of the plane, weight of the plane, what power source you're going to use (2S, 3S, 4S, etc.) and prop size, all of which affect the other factors of size of plane, weight of plane, what power source, etc.

For example:

Let's say I build a generic Versa Wing. I have used an 1100kv A2212 motor for them before. It flies well with a 3S battery and an 8x8 two blade pusher prop; however, it's not necessarily the only solution. There are guys in my club who run the same Versa Wing with a 3S battery, but they'll fly with a 2200kv motor (I want to say a 2205 or 2210?) with a 6x3 two blade prop, and get a little bit better performance, albeit with a little less flight time than I get on my setup. Different setups, different motors, similar performance. :)

My best recommendation is to try using something like eCalc to help you narrow down performance stats. Worth the money, IMHO!

Shurik-1960

sprzout , I read about your ever - expanding hangar .I am also a maniac - I have more than 36 homemade models. A special room in a house in the village is completely packed with models and I have attached a veranda to the house 4mx6m and in the summer I collect models in it.
https://ibb.co/zfxFHRQ
https://ibb.co/P9pZ2y7

My rule of making a model. 1. I make a fully glider with electronics without an engine and regulator. 2. Weigh the model with the battery. 3. I consider the load that turned out to be on the wing. 4. Pick up the engine + regulator with the desired thrust: fly pancake or hooligan 5. I install the reg + motor frame with the engine and select the position of the box for the battery with the desired alignment of the model.6. I throw the finally assembled model on the grass or snow, trimming and making sure that the CG is good. 7. The first flight.