What now?

Mode 1

At the end of the day we are trying to identify less expensive radios that will allow a couple of new family members to dip a toe into this wonderful hobby. The Turnigy stuff has two positive reviews in this thread alone and the prices are beyond reasonable. If I was in their shoes I'd buy one of those and move on to the fun bits.. building and flying.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I equate Spektrum vs OpenTX to Linux versus Windows. One gives you more control the other makes things simpler and tends to be more common.

I am a database nerd IRL. I like programming, been doing it since my first TRS80. I love linux. It just makes sense to me, yet I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would build an engine so that you have to remove the air intake and water pump to replace a freaking heater hose. :)

"All are needed by each one; nothing is fair or good alone." -Emerson

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It just makes sense to me, yet I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would build an engine so that you have to remove the air intake and water pump to replace a freaking heater hose.

Oh, that's an easy one. The wheel wells aren't going to move and the hood has to close. I once had a '69 SuperBeetle and you actually had to drop the engine to change all the spark plugs.

Don't even get me started on cleaning the carbs on an '82 Honda CB750! I've got words as to what it was like, trying to get them back in, but I try to stay family-friendly in my posts.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Oh, that's an easy one. The wheel wells aren't going to move and the hood has to close. I once had a '69 SuperBeetle and you actually had to drop the engine to change all the spark plugs.

Don't even get me started on cleaning the carbs on an '82 Honda CB750! I've got words as to what it was like, trying to get them back in, but I try to stay family-friendly in my posts.

Don’t forget the infamous Dodge - I think it was the Intrepid 1 that had the battery located inside the passenger wheel well. To change it, you had to remove the wheel...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I thank you all for your replies. I don't know about Matt, but I'm understanding that nobody can reach an agreement of just what transmitter in different price ranges one should buy. Can't agree on cheap but worthy. Can't agree on grow into.

I read and I read. It's a crap-shoot. Read all you can and hope you get it right. I kind of understand where it's all coming from. Everyone just buys one and finds out the pros and cons afterwards. Then they buy another and maybe have found a favorite.

To Matt, the OP: We've got some good info. Personally, I've got to re-read and re-read and just try to parse it out.

Flite Risk

Speaking of "CB"
My first bike was a CB 650 I rode it from Buffalo NY to Long Beach CA, by myself, tent and sleeping bag, no map in 45 days but that's a separate thread.

To the OP, Matt don't be stricken with paralysis by analysis. do your research and go with your gut, if you are lucky winter is coming, the silver lining is you have plenty of time to figure it out, second silver lining,so is Christmas so get to figure'n.

d8veh

Elite member
I've been down my club today and noticed the different transmitters that the guys are using. They have every type from the most expensive ones with colour LCD costing thousands to the cheapest ones that come free with the planes. In the middle are the Taranis and Spektrum types. I was there with my friend who uses a cheap Flysky with a Hobbyking external module (had no range with the Flysky module). I was flying my Carbon Cub S+ so was using the Spektrum DXe transmitter that came with it. I also have a Spektrum DX7S, Taranis QX7S and Jumper T12. I marvelled at one guy flying a Wat4 Foam E. He was doing perfect pattern aerobatics, which I don't see so much these days. he was using an Old Futaba 35 mHz transmitter with an added external 2.4 gHz module.

What I can say is that they all work and everybody was happy with what they had (except my DX7S, which I bought from Ebay and found that it has RF problems).

What I would suggest at the beginning of your career is to get a cheapo 4 or more channels transmitter and receiver as a matched pair, ideally with dual rates on the elevator and ailerons. That's all you need for a Simple Cub. You will probably find that there's no need to upgrade it for a long time. It will work with most of the Flitetest Planes. The only thing it can't deal with is the differential thrust on the twins, but will you ever want that? At this stage, all you need is a system that will move the control surfaces the right amount and continue to do that at a reasonable range. More expensive systems don't really do that any better. They just have more features and other complications. One could argue that they last longer, but I still have my original cheap Futaba Challenger from the early '80s and it works perfectly

Some time in the future when you've learnt to fly and understand all the extra features that the more expensive systems have, and if you have the spare cash, you can get one the when it will be a more meaningful purchase. You can sell your old one on Ebay and lose maybe $20 on its purchase price, so not exactly a big loss, bearing in mind that if you dropped a Taranis/Spektrum DX8, you'd have to pay a lot more than that for replacement switches.

I don't know which are the best cheapo transmitters. It's a shame people don't want to advise on those. All I can say is that my Spektrum DXe has everything you need for around $60. I've ordered a Microzone MCE7S with GPS and GPS receiver for $51, so I can report on that soon. The Turnigy sets sold by Hobbyking look OK to me. There's a review by Flitetest themselves, so it ought to be a fair review. On the basis of that, I'd but one. It has everything you need now and for some time into the future.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Cheap & Mods all ready done, that’s why I went with the Tunrigy 9X Pro. I put a 4 in 1 module in the back, now I can fly all the popular Rx protocols. Never had any range issues but the software ER9x has a learning curve.

Mode 1

About 10 years ago I was losing my mind researching camera's. My father was career photographer and I was always picking his brain. One day he looked at me and said 'Son, you can't enjoy the camera you haven't bought" That's stuck with me and I continue to benefit from those words when it comes to researching and making purchases.

I don't need a transmitter but this thread has led me to read up on the Turnigy line. I'd buy one without hesitation.

Matt737

I think I've decided on the Spektrum DX6e.

Now, for compatibility. Is the Spektrum DX6e compatible with the OrangeRX receiver?

Also, you plug in the servos' cables to the receiver correct?

Mode 1

I think I've decided on the Spektrum DX6e.

Now, for compatibility. Is the Spektrum DX6e compatible with the OrangeRX receiver?

Also, you plug in the servos' cables to the receiver correct?

Matt - Yes, Spekrum is compatible with Orange Rx's and Yes, you plug the servos into the receiver in the proper channel.. Throttle, Rudder etc..

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Matt, I'm glad you decided. I'm not quite there yet. Happy for you bud. Let me know what you think of it.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
If this is your first attempt to build and fly, I do not recommend the Mini Mustang.

I recommend the Tiny Trainer. You get two wings, it's docile, forgiving if you make mistakes in the build or in a hand launch and easy to slow down and land.

The Mustang is a fine bird and fun to fly but hell to learn on. It's quick and it's fast and it forgives nothing. YMMV.

FDS

Elite member
I looked around, looked at what I had already and bought an Orange TX6i, the latest DSMX version from Hobbyking, it was second hand with a Lemon (that’s a brand) micro RX.
It was dead easy to program, I hate spending hours manual reading, it bound great to my Horizon Hobby Sport Cub, was easy to run safe mode with and has been fine to set up with my kit and scratch built FT type planes.
Coming from other hobbies the lunacy of several competiting protocols for RX/TX is really daft and as a newish person to this hobby both baffling and annoying to the novice.
Spektrum looked nice but I can’t afford $150 or more for a 6E, the 6i even second hand was more than the Orange one I bought.
The problem is protocols. I learnt the following-
  • Orange and Lemon are not just citrus fruits, both make DSMX compatible receivers that bind with any DSMX transmitter, some better than others, check feedback and look carefully at specs.
  • If you pick a protocol then you better pick a common one that you can buy reliable receivers for cheaply.
  • You can spend a lot and not be a better pilot because of it
  • If you want to use Horizon Hobby bind n fly then DSMX or DSM2 is required, with not all “compatible” TX’s able to bind well with them.
  • In the EU some standards are no longer legal to use.

d8veh

Elite member
I would also say that you should save that Mustang for another time unless you're already a competent flyer.

With Spektrum transmitters you can use Orange receivers from Hobbyking that only cost $7. You must check in the description that they're DSMX.
This one doesn't say DSMX in the listing, but it does on the label:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dsm2-6ch-with-case-and-ce-fcc-rcm.html
I think I would prefer the Turnigy transmitter because it gives you more options, like fitting an external module for any receiver. Turnigy receivers are dead cheap too.

mayan

Legendary member
I have a radio link T8FB transmitter which is the first I bought. Cost me about 100 usd and I am super happy with it. It’s not something that is super advanced, but it does the job. Later I purchased a goodie bag of plane parts which included a spektrum DX4e transmitter it also does the job but I don’t like it as much as the radio link transmitter. My opinion is that I wouldn’t go with something too expensive and advanced if you are just starting out. Think it’s smarter to buy something affordable and going from there.

Reactions: FDS

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have used Futaba and JR radios over the years for land and a short foray into nitro helis. Then got away from rc in general.

Then a few years ago found quads and got the runner 250 that came with a devo 7. Not a bad entry level radio.

Now I am full on Taranis with the m9 gimbals. BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD them gimbals are. Soooo smooth and accurate.

I see a lot of Spectrum guys complain they are too loose or too tight when ever Taranis gear is mentioned. EVERY gimbal has tension adjustments and is a non issue when choosing a radio.

Yes the Taranis requires a bit of learning but the basics to get you in the air are exactly the same as any other radio.

The game changer is opentx and not needing another radio ever again. (Baring drop damage or other non normal circumstances)