whats it is called ?

sundown57

Legendary member
I bought an exceed rocket motor and it did not come with this mount that it should have. I didn't realize it in time to return it. anyone know what it's called so I can try to buy one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 9.06.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 9.06.57 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 0

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
That's the prop adapter. I've been looking for a good bit now and can't find a site that offers any parts for the Exceed motors separately from the kit. You didn't accidentally order a motor for an RC car did you? You may have to contact the seller and see if they can help scrounge one up for you or have to get on from another source that will work in place of the OEM one.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Emax uses both a long shaft where the collet is used or they have bolt on prop adapters with a threaded 5mm shaft for the other side. You can use either method. I prefer the bolt on shaft type as its far less hassle and you can get solid prop mounting without worrying about slippage but you will break more props in crashes, so you need to choose. Easier mounting more prop breakage, or more complicated less secure mounting but save props.

Heres a link to an emax motor package that comes with both style adapters. It seems AMAIN does not stock the Emax bolt ons with the 4 hole pattern just the off brands with 3 hole patterns as a separate unit.

https://store.flitetest.com/emax-gt2215-09-1180kv-brushless-motor-emx-mt-0409/p694266

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
yes, I need the part that screws to the motor, I called the exceed and they were no help at ALL. isn't the x mount and the shaft all one piece?

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
yes, I need the part that screws to the motor, I called the exceed and they were no help at ALL. isn't the x mount and the shaft all one piece?
What I meant by X mount is the flat piece that's X shaped used to mount the motor to the aircraft firewall. The prop adapter on those just happens to be X shaped at it's base but other prop adapters will work just fine. Which motor did you order? This site gives a spec sheet with the motors that gives the shaft diameter you can use to get collet type prop mount. You will also need to know the diameter of shaft you intended prop has to get the right one. I had trouble with the sizes when I first ordered them so please don't think this is patronizing. The sizes on most of the collet type adapters are motor shaft diameter then prop shaft diameter. A 3mm-6mm collet will fit a 3mm motor shaft and a prop made to fit a 6mm shaft as an example. Here is the link with the motor specs. https://www.nitroplanes.com/rocketseries.html

sundown57

Legendary member
I have the collet for the shaft. but the way the motor is made in order to use the shaft I have to mount the firewall to the front of the motor and the bell spins inside the plane. That makes it hard to get CG correct. If I had the x type like in the picture on my first post I could mount the motor in front of the firewall. I bought the 3025 motor.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am fairly sure the X mount is standardized across motors with four mounting screws to the motor and 4 to the fire wall up until you hit the motors in the range of the new monster motors and the like.

If you go to the manufacturers web page for that motor it should give a detailed drawing for the cans, mount holes and mount plate.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Ahhhh I see what your dealing with. I had the same deal with a 2215 EMAX motor I put in the Mig-3 I made this last winter. The motor mount will only fit the shaft end of the motor putting the shaft inside the power pod or the entire motor in order to get the shaft facing forward. Does the plane your building have enough room in the nose to slide the power pod out so you can put the motor inside the pod in order to get the shaft facing forward?

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
yes . that's how I want to mount it, but I can't because I don't have that x brace for the prop. I just now finally got hold of exceed rc and their customer support is extremely lacking, they refused to sell me one. or even tell me of a distributor where I can buy one.
That stinks but is par for the course with way too many companies these days. You might try the NitroPlanes outfit in that link I put in a previous post. Those motors aren't too expensive worst case scenario you have to buy another one use your first one as a spare or for another project.