broken props

levigabel

so, i have no experience flying what so ever, so i bought a tiny trainer with all of the proper electronics thinking that it would be a good trainer, but i have only gotten about 3 minuets of flight time over 5 attempts to fly, and about 4 weeks, because every time i try to fly i end up breaking a prop after about 15 seconds, and then having to order more. is there a good pusher airframe that would work with powerpack A ? Or should i get a folding prop ?

luvmy40

Elite member
The FT Explorer is meant for a B Pack but might fly on the A Pack. You could also download the plans and scale it down a bit.

Foamforce

Warning that the prop saver doesn’t work on threaded motor, which the A pack has.

The biggest thing is to remember to cut the motor before you land. That takes some practice. Another thing that helps is to turn on your ESC brake. Some people disagree that this helps, but it seems to work for me.

Of course, if you crash nose-first into the ground, nothing much is going to help with that.

JDSnavely

Try using APC style props. They are a bit heavier & less prone to breakage.

+1 on the Explorer if you want to try a different plane.
Tiny Trainer is a family favorite. I've broken cheap props on a perfect landing, throttle cut in tall grass. The prop just happened to be in the wrong position when landing. APC props or these drone props won't break very often, even in crashes. I don't think we have broken any of the three bladed. The only APC blade we broke was straight into the ground from 100 feet. Get 3 bladed poly carbonate here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGHYKLB/?tag=lstir-20 (Good value even if you don't use the clockwise ones.)

levigabel

The FT Explorer is meant for a B Pack but might fly on the A Pack. You could also download the plans and scale it down a bit.

if the explorer would run very slowly on powerpack A, that would be awesome!
Tiny Trainer is a family favorite. I've broken cheap props on a perfect landing, throttle cut in tall grass. The prop just happened to be in the wrong position when landing. APC props or these drone props won't break very often, even in crashes. I don't think we have broken any of the three bladed. The only APC blade we broke was straight into the ground from 100 feet. Get 3 bladed poly carbonate here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGHYKLB/?tag=lstir-20 (Good value even if you don't use the clockwise ones.)
I would like to use those props, except the Amazon listing says "unavailable" Would you have any other recommendations?

Peted

I break a prop everytime a fly(which is usually a 3 min flight ending in a crash), so i just ended up buying 20 props from hobbyking for like 5 bucks. If your'e willing to pay shipping and replace the prop slightly more often, it's a choice to consider.

Foamforce

Fwiw, it gets better quickly. After your landings get better, you’ll rarely break a prop. I have a couple Tiny Trainers and rarely break a prop.

Try the ESC brake first. It’s free to try and doesn’t require experience. Next thing is to land a lot slower. Start your descent much further away from the landing strip and bring it down very gradually until you’re just a couple feet up. You ought to be able to descend with little or no down elevator, just reduce throttle until you slowly descend. If you descend too quickly, you pick up speed, and that breaks props. When you’re right above the ground, cut throttle entirely and pull up a little (flare). The flare is tricky because if you’re still going too fast, you’re immediately just climb again (balloon), but that’s a sign that you need to come in a little slower still. Eventually you’ll be able to touch down with the tail first and you’ll be going slow enough that even though your prop still hits the ground, it won’t break.

Good luck!

levigabel

Fwiw, it gets better quickly. After your landings get better, you’ll rarely break a prop. I have a couple Tiny Trainers and rarely break a prop.

Try the ESC brake first. It’s free to try and doesn’t require experience. Next thing is to land a lot slower. Start your descent much further away from the landing strip and bring it down very gradually until you’re just a couple feet up. You ought to be able to descend with little or no down elevator, just reduce throttle until you slowly descend. If you descend too quickly, you pick up speed, and that breaks props. When you’re right above the ground, cut throttle entirely and pull up a little (flare). The flare is tricky because if you’re still going too fast, you’re immediately just climb again (balloon), but that’s a sign that you need to come in a little slower still. Eventually you’ll be able to touch down with the tail first and you’ll be going slow enough that even though your prop still hits the ground, it won’t break.

Good luck!
thanks for the advice, but my problem is not landings, its that when we try to fly, the plane feels a little uncontrollable and only flies for 5 to 6 seconds before nosediving into the ground and breaking the prop.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
thanks for the advice, but my problem is not landings, its that when we try to fly, the plane feels a little uncontrollable and only flies for 5 to 6 seconds before nosediving into the ground and breaking the prop.
A video of your flight will help us discover what's happening

Piotrsko

Master member
The most common problem is at launch is abrupt climb, stall, bank and dive to the left. Is that what's happening?
Yup sounds about right for what the op claimed.

Take the prop off and TEST GLIDE IT until it flies and lands smoothly. That will reduce the crashes at launch

cjhagemeyer

Look into getting some drone props. I got myself some Iflight Nazgul 5in tri bladed props and they are super durable. even in a nose dive you wont break them. I have been using them for years and have yet to break a single one.

JDSnavely

if the explorer would run very slowly on powerpack A, that would be awesome!

I would like to use those props, except the Amazon listing says "unavailable" Would you have any other recommendations?
Yes, they sell out here and there. I've bought them twice now. When I bought them a week or two ago they were in stock. I don't think we have broken one yet... Even with about a dozen crashes on Mighty Mini Mustang. I thought this was a good deal on APC. Use the pusher prop for an Alpha! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018A2PSYW/?tag=lstir-20

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
i think thats what is happening, do you know what causes that?
Usually it comes from to much of an up angle on the hand launch. Try increasing the throttle until you feel it starting to pull then give it a level or just slightly down launch. That way you let the plane get to flying speed.

levigabel

Usually it comes from to much of an up angle on the hand launch. Try increasing the throttle until you feel it starting to pull then give it a level or just slightly down launch. That way you let the plane get to flying speed.
ok ill try that, although, like i said, the weather is not so good right now.