• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What's the best upgrade for my heavy hexacopter?

What to buy

• New ESCs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • New motors

• Bigger props

• Go for 4S

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • All of the above

• Total voters
Hi there

My hex has gotten I bit fat lately, and now I'm at the position where I will have to upgrade it the be able to lift what I have mounted on the. My question is, in what way should I upgrade it?

Right now I have 25amps turnigy plush ESCs, RCTimer 28-30 750kv motors swinging 11x4.7 slow flyer props. I'm running 3S = 11.1V.

So: bigger ESCs, motors, props, voltage or all of the above :)

Keep in mind that I'm not made out of gold :)

Thanks

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Cheap is me. . .

So I would say . . you already have pretty much maxed out on the prop. And I'm assuming you're using 25Cs? For the money ($24 P&S included) I think bumping up the battery to a 3S 45~90C would be cheap. . . you probably could use a new battery anyway, and it will give you a noticeable bit of extra power.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'd say try a 4S battery and see if you like it. That's the cheapest method as well if you go with Hobbyking batteries.

I know the motors are rated for 30A and I only have 25amps ESCs. I'm guessing this will make the motors not work at their full capacity. I happen to have 4 30A plush laying around, so buying 2 more 30A ESCs aren't that expensive. Will that give me a bit of boost you think?

As for the batteries, I actually have a few nano-techs to pick up at the post office today. They're rated at 35C+

4s batteries will give you more lift with your setup;

Also for heavy lifting you need stiffer props,

APC, Graupner or Carbon ...... HK/GemFan slowfly are too soft !! it will break in midflight (ask me how i know) and will generate Jello images.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Have you guys tried 12x4.7s with DT750's? I have 11x4.7s and they really seem like they are close to the motor's limit, getting the motos pretty warm.