When a law is unjust....

SSgt Duramax

Well said Streetnickle. A few more points:
1. There is no such thing as a Pilots License. In America, pilots are not licensed, they are Certified. A license is a grant of permission. A certificate is a statement of competency.
2. FAA authority is limited to Interstate Air Commerce. Period. Individual States could conceivably regulate RC activity but it would be limited to the authority granted to the State in the State Constitution under Public Safety.
3. Even if the FAA had authority it would be limited to Controlled Airspace which in many cases doesn't even begin until 1200 feet above the ground. Check a sectional map for your area.
Common sense still applies. You don't fly RC near an airport or any place where your flying could cause problems for others.
I doubt Ill follow it. It really all depends. I dont write my FAA number on my planes either. I once intended to, but now I dont see a point.

I highly doubt the FAA is going to cruise around and enforce it. Are they going to patrol all of the parks and fields to catch maybe one illicit rc modeler a year? Probably not. I know the local municipalities probably wont care and it is even further unlikely that they would purchase equipment to enforce it outside of a federal grant unless model aviation crimes become huge.

Even if someone did want to build a larger UAV and pack it with a few pounds of military grade explosives and attack something, it isnt like they wouldnt be able to easily aqcuire or build electronics that wouldnt be tracked, just like they wouldnt put an FAA number on it now. It doesnt stop the cartels from using drones from dropping drugs over our border.

In short the bad guys wont follow the laws. All this will do is make it easier to hold an honest person accountable for accidentally running into a house or car or something.

The whole "you wont mind doing xy or z if your arent doing anything wrong" goes right up there with "you wont mind submitting to a search if you dont have anything to hide" mentality. You can piss up a rope with that, Ive seen too many injured americans and dead ones defending our freedoms for that kind of logic.

Last edited:

tomlogan1

Elite member
The REAL reasons for all the regulations have NOTHING to do with safety. Amazon & Google want use of the airspace for their own enrichment. Spread a few bucks to some elected officials and your rights are infringed upon. So when you think about being a Prime member, think about having a little quicker delivery but no place to fly.

SSgt Duramax

The REAL reasons for all the regulations have NOTHING to do with safety. Amazon & Google want use of the airspace for their own enrichment. Spread a few bucks to some elected officials and your rights are infringed upon. So when you think about being a Prime member, think about having a little quicker delivery but no place to fly.
They can fly over 400ft and use ADSB like all of the other civil aircraft. Or maybe open up a space from 400-500 feet for them. Or split it 50/50 and give us a ceiling of 350 feet, and they can have 350-450. But wait, no, that is logic, and logic doesn't work with the government.

Amazon or google could pay to have collision avoidance systems on their drones. They want to use the airspace as such, they can foot the bill. Plus, that is all the more reason for me not to put said transponder devices or identification on my craft. If I accidentally knock one out of the air, I don't want it traceable to me.

Now if we were discussing putting these devices on airframes operating over a certain altitude, and on long range waypoint non LOS vehicles, that would be another thing, and I may have a different opinion on it (although I do see how ADSB impedes certain freedoms, I get an alert from a speed countermeasure app everytime an aircraft is in the area) but I see the need for aviation safety. Needing a GPS transmitter on my craft flying a couple hundred feet over some woods and a football field, no matter how light, or how low cost it may be in no way enhances anyones safety, and hinders my ability to operate freely.

I also want to see some sort of science or numbers behind the 250g thing, but I doubt that will ever happen, it just seems arbitrary.

All this law would accomplish is turning thousands of law abiding citizens into criminals overnight.

Meanwhile, I highly doubt the cartels, terrorists, trolls, and creepers will be lining up for these devices.