Where from here

TheGravyMan

Recently just got started in RC planes. I bought a Sport Cub S2 as a starter to make sure I enjoyed it before diving all in.. I've been flying for a few weeks now and starting to get the hang of controls. I am using the advanced setting and doing pretty well. Where do I go from here? New transmitter, Plane or keep working with my current setup? Thanks! Also keep looking at 3d printed setups, looks cool but still so new and don't know what is good and bad with all the parts.

bisco

Elite member
Recently just got started in RC planes. I bought a Sport Cub S2 as a starter to make sure I enjoyed it before diving all in.. I've been flying for a few weeks now and starting to get the hang of controls. I am using the advanced setting and doing pretty well. Where do I go from here? New transmitter, Plane or keep working with my current setup? Thanks! Also keep looking at 3d printed setups, looks cool but still so new and don't know what is good and bad with all the parts.
tough decisions coming! i just went through all this last fall.
start researching transmitters. there are a number of things to consider, but many of them are dependent on your future in the hobby, which was a difficult projection for me.
i also started with a sport cub, learning on safe, then slowly moving to intermediate and expert mode.
i settled on a spectrum dx6 for the voice instruction feature, as i have a hard time taking my eye off of the airplane. around $200.
but i think something like a flysky $50. tx/rx combo is an inexpensive way to get into a quality system.

you also have to consider whether you want to stay with the safe system for awhile.

i moved up to the e-flite umx turbo timber bnf. all you need is a battery and you're good to go if you have a spectrum tx. (not sure about the one that came with the sport cub rtf)

if you want to build, there are other considerations. i built an ft duster, and put in an aura flight stabilizer. similar to safe system and works with the dx6.
i am starting an ft tiny trainer now, which will get a $10. lemon rx, but no stabilization.

another important aspect is field size and club availability. i have only a soccer field, so am sticking with smaller, slower flying airplanes. i do have a couple 1+ meter planes, but they are just to big for my skils with the field size.
if you due have a large flying area, something like the apprentice is a good trainer in a lrge size.
no club availability here due to covid, so i had to teach myself like you. it is more difficult, but unavoidable presently.
so a lot to think about and research before moving on to your next model.