will i fry the ESC with this combination???

ZoomNBoom

Id go for a little reserve. It depends very much what prop you will put on that motor, but if you pick a prop that actually allow the motor to pull its rated 10A, you want a ~15A ESC to be safe. I assume you dont plan on using a BEC, so if your ESC overheats, you will lose control completely.

As for the battery, in theory what you linked is able to provide 25C continually so that is 25x 0.460 = 11A with peaks of 40C or 18A. Those C ratings ratings are always lies, but the good news is that pulling more wont make the battery explode, the voltage will just sag and you will lose power. Kinda self regulating :) So even if it achieves less than half of what it claims to achieve, you should be ok.

mjmccarron

I think you'll be fine but a couple of thoughts.

In my experience, HK is rather optimistic in their ratings for their electronics. Basically, a 10A ESC is probably good to at least 8A but there isn't a lot of room for a safety margin.

That being said, I would recommend a Watt Meter similar to this: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...t_Meter_and_Power_Analyzer_US_Warehouse_.html
Measuring your setup will help to insure that you don't overload anything. As mentioned above, you probably won't fry anything but overheating the ESC will brown out your electronics and that's no fun. A Watt Meter is a great investment and a good tool as you progress in the hobby.

In any event, good luck and happy flying!

Mike

Rockonmyfriend

Pretty sure you're golden with that setup.

The 1800kv 280 size E-flite motor in my all stock P-51 from e flite run by a 3s 450mah 30c lipo through a 10A ESC just fine from the factory.

That 250 motor isn't rated for more than a 2 cell battery anyway, and you aren't going to be drawing more than 10 amps from that motor. An 8 amp ESC would probably work too, but the 10 amp should run much cooler.

I like to overdo my ESCs when weight doesn't matter as much, then you don't have to worry about airflow as much. (I've fried a couple ESCs when I was just getting into electrics years ago, I like running cool.)

You're good, Bacon. Happy flying!

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

10 amps ?, the motor he linked to is rated at 8 amps.

I think you'll be fine Bacon.

I stand corrected, I misread the HK page.

Still, a 10A rated ESC for a 8A motor is about as close as I dare cutting it.
It will probably work though, but do make sure the ESC gets ample airflow to keep it cool. I usually make a cut out in the heatshrink they put over the ESC heatsink so its not (thermally) insulated.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Cautionary tale about the Turnigy park250. It is very very very difficult to use the prop adapter with this motor, be forewarned.
I contacted HK about mine and they took note (no expectations on my part, though).

If you are ok using it with the prop savers, great. However, even "doing things the right way" I mangled my Park250 trying to change the shaft to handle the prop adapter. HK should just not ship it with the prop adapter - look at the notes for that motor and see that others have found out what I have found out. Take a look at the Turnigy Park300 - better quality and just a tad larger.
I am going to try Altitude hobbies package with the Suppo A1510 motor. Can't beat the price at about $36-$37 delivered. I suspect the Suppo is smoother than the Turnigy, but haven't compared.

As far as ESC, if you notice in FT videos Josh B. said he just uses the Turnigy Plush 18A everywhere. It is hardly heavier than the others, and is very robust. It is more reusable in other planes with larger engines, later on. I guy an extra one each time a place an order with HK, just to have them on hand.

My 2 cents / 6 drachmas

Turning the Turnigy Park250 into Bling

Happy Accident.jpg