Help! Will this work with what I have?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying this quadcopter, youtube reviews look good. It's the Flywoo Explorer.

https://www.banggood.com/Flywoo-Exp...0mw-VTX-GOKU-16X16-Micro-Stack-p-1726181.html

It seems to have everything I want for a price I can't build a quad for. GPS, FPV, long flight times, small... It looks good to me.

I used to be in the hobby a decade ago but my drone flew away and I didn't bother replacing it. After coming across my gear this week I figured I may as well have another go as it's a shame to have stuff sitting there.

What I want to know is if this quadcopter will work with my FPV googles, they are Fat Shark attitude 2's

Digital video wasn't a thing last time I built a quadcopter, I'm really not sure if this is compatible with what I have or if this video transmitter works with my googles.

Will I need to change antennas or anything? My googles currently have the immersion RC cloverleaf.

If I really get bitten by the bug again I might end up building something but right now I just want to cruise around the local park. If I got 200 yards range I'd be very happy.

Thanks

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying this quadcopter, youtube reviews look good. It's the Flywoo Explorer.

https://www.banggood.com/Flywoo-Exp...0mw-VTX-GOKU-16X16-Micro-Stack-p-1726181.html

It seems to have everything I want for a price I can't build a quad for. GPS, FPV, long flight times, small... It looks good to me.

I used to be in the hobby a decade ago but my drone flew away and I didn't bother replacing it. After coming across my gear this week I figured I may as well have another go as it's a shame to have stuff sitting there.

What I want to know is if this quadcopter will work with my FPV googles, they are Fat Shark attitude 2's

Digital video wasn't a thing last time I built a quadcopter, I'm really not sure if this is compatible with what I have or if this video transmitter works with my googles.

Will I need to change antennas or anything? My googles currently have the immersion RC cloverleaf.

If I really get bitten by the bug again I might end up building something but right now I just want to cruise around the local park. If I got 200 yards range I'd be very happy.

Thanks
This is an analog quad, so with regard to your FatSharks, they should be compatible. For receiver, it has Crossfire, which may or may not work with whatever transmitter you have. You can add Crossfire protocol to many receivers, or you could get the Flywoo equipped with a receiver that matches your transmitter.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Before you spend any more money on analog, I recommend that you find someone who has digital (DJI FPV) to test out - the Flywoo Explorer is good on analog, but you might get bored after a while with scratch video. The digital version of the Flywoo will shock and amaze you with the full immersion experience.

I used to have a dozen analog quads, I used with my FatShark HDO goggles. I have not flown them since I purchased DJI FPV goggles. My FatSharks haven’t been powered in almost 2 years, meanwhile I have purchased, built, or converted 15 quads with DJI digital FPV. There is absolutely no comparison.

Before you spend any more money on analog, I recommend that you find someone who has digital (DJI FPV) to test out - the Flywoo Explorer is good on analog, but you might get bored after a while with scratch video. The digital version of the Flywoo will shock and amaze you with the full immersion experience.

I used to have a dozen analog quads, I used with my FatShark HDO goggles. I have not flown them since I purchased DJI FPV goggles. My FatSharks haven’t been powered in almost 2 years, meanwhile I have purchased, built, or converted 15 quads with DJI digital FPV. There is absolutely no comparison.

One day I might go down that road but not right now... I don't know if I'm going to get seriously into this again. I'm looking for something to cruise around with on the odd evening.

Thanks!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
One day I might go down that road but not right now... I don't know if I'm going to get seriously into this again. I'm looking for something to cruise around with on the odd evening.

Thanks!
In that case, build your own analog 4 inch for about $100. RaceDayQuads or GetFPV are great resources. Anyone with a modicum of skill can build their own analog quad.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
In that case, build your own analog 4 inch for about $100. RaceDayQuads or GetFPV are great resources. Anyone with a modicum of skill can build their own analog quad.
$100? last I checked a FC stack was around 40-50, a frame in the 15-25 range, a set of 4 motors typically comes in around 40-50.. that still leaves a camera, VTX, receiver... or am I missing something in partting out a 4 in?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
If you are just wanting a cruiser with analog parts. With Emax Eco motors and a cheap whoop style FC it can be done. I would not waste money on premium parts for an analog cruiser.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Suffice it to say, if wanting just an analog cruiser, personally I would not spend $200 on it. There are a lot of retail options as well as DIY for a lot less.

I built a full digital DJI version of the Dave_C 4” (Dave_C designed the Flywoo Explorer) for only $100 more than Banggood wants for the analog Explorer.

JasonK

Suffice it to say, if wanting just an analog cruiser, personally I would not spend $200 on it. There are a lot of retail options as well as DIY for a lot less.

I built a full digital DJI version of the Dave_C 4” (Dave_C designed the Flywoo Explorer) for only $100 more than Banggood wants for the analog Explorer.

I just got the analog Flywoo explorer PnP for $150 from a US supplier. So yes, I would hope you could get a DJI version for less then $250 (unless the DJI parts have gone crazy expensive).

I think you're missing what I asked... I'm aware of this but then I have to go spend more money on digital DJI goggles when I already have some... I'm aware things have moved on in the last 7 years since I bought them but I'm not going to be racing or trying to be the next Mr Steele.

This elitist attitude is really what kills hobbies by putting new people off. I've build quads before, I'm asking about the quad I linked... I parted one out and this was the cheaper option. If you're not going to answer the question then go somewhere else dude.

If I get into FPV again I'll go get digital goggles. I'm happy with what I have and just want to put it to use.

JasonK

I think you're missing what I asked... I'm aware of this but then I have to go spend more money on digital DJI goggles when I already have some... I'm aware things have moved on in the last 7 years since I bought them but I'm not going to be racing or trying to be the next Mr Steele.

This elitist attitude is really what kills hobbies by putting new people off. I've build quads before, I'm asking about the quad I linked... I parted one out and this was the cheaper option. If you're not going to answer the question then go somewhere else dude.

If I get into FPV again I'll go get digital goggles. I'm happy with what I have and just want to put it to use.

what do you have for a transmitter? that one (the cross fire one) needs a cross fire TX or module. If you have that, Analog is analog, so your analog goggles would be fine.

I just picked up that same quad, but with out the receiver for about $150 for a US distributor, so if your in the US, you might be able to do better. I then just put in a serial receiver that I had sitting waiting to be used (if your ok with a touch of soldering this is a fairly easy to do thing).

CappyAmeric

Elite member

Sorry to offend you. You asked a question and I gave you a direct answer. I then followed up with another couple posts with my opinions.

Maybe you should contact the mods to change your user name. This site is family friendly.