WOOD PROPS FOR ELECTRICS?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I decided to try the http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propellers/electric-props/PJN-Electric-Beechwood-Propeller/ for my upcoming Hog Bipe build.

Has anyone have experience with wood props on electrics? I got the xoar prop link from an electric 3d flying guys youtube videos, he loves them. They are pricey, but I like the look for a bi-plane build. They also have wood triblade props and other cool materials.

PJN_f.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I just ran some Ecalcs with the Xoars and it comes out with higher effeciency, longer run time and more thrust than the same APC props, interesting. Why didn't I know about these guys before? Learn new stuff every day in this hobby.

RCMAN

Dude those props are awesome! Any serious competitor uses these on electrics. I have a few on my bigger planes. You probably wont here about competition quality stuff on this forum all that much as you got a lot of beginners and foam flyers here. Plus finding high performance parts is something you do stumble upon unless your hanging with the right crowd.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
I just ordered a couple of 7x4 wood props for my E-flite 30" wingspan clipped wing cub. Because of how nice the model looks I felt like it needed a wood prop. They are made by Top Flite and I hope they aren't too heavy, but I bought a couple because I wanted to modify them (stain them darker, remove the logos, reshape the tips). At $1.99 they are actually cheaper than the plastic props I have for the plane at the moment.

I'd love to use a xoar but they just don't make one the size I need.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Pretty much in any scenario, Xoar is my go-to prop for my electrics. Their selection of wood is unsurpassed. They are light and come pre-balanced. I have yet to have to adjust the balance of any prop. I've used 12" all the way up to 18" props from them and love them. They are far more efficient. The majority of the efficiency comes from the airfoil they use in the blades. APC-E props use an undercambered airfoil. It produces good thrust but has an increase in drag. Xoar's airfoil is semi-symmetrical, which produces good thrust but much less drag. They weigh significantly less so it takes less energy to get them to spin and keep them spinning. Because of the wood, there is also a significant reduction in warping of the blades-in flight. All of this adds up to a far superior prop that is worth every penny. While anything more than $2 may seem expensive for a prop to most folks here, I recently replaced my 18" prop on my giant-scale P6-E for $25. THe previous prop had been flown for over 2 years. A worthwhile investment IMO.

When you get into the competitive scenes, the props get VERY expensive. My Club President has a 43% Extra with a 150cc twin gas engine. The prop alone was over $150. He is the regional IMAC (scale aerobatics) director and has spared no expense on this thing.

Doc1303

Xoars are great props! Look great, sounds great, more efficient. Can't go wrong with them! Still looking for an electric 12x4 version Xoar for my timber.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
I just ordered a couple of 7x4 wood props for my E-flite 30" wingspan clipped wing cub. Because of how nice the model looks I felt like it needed a wood prop. They are made by Top Flite and I hope they aren't too heavy, but I bought a couple because I wanted to modify them (stain them darker, remove the logos, reshape the tips). At $1.99 they are actually cheaper than the plastic props I have for the plane at the moment.

I'd love to use a xoar but they just don't make one the size I need.

Unfortunately you might find that Top Flite props won't work on your Eflite CWC because of the prop hub being too thick. I don't know if Top Flite has actually jumped on the electric bandwagon yet and started producing actual electric use wood props with thinner hubs, like Xoar and my favorite, Falcon Props. I have an APC prop on my Eflite CWC but have a Falcon wood prop on my Eflite Cub 450.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
Unfortunately you might find that Top Flite props won't work on your Eflite CWC because of the prop hub being too thick. I don't know if Top Flite has actually jumped on the electric bandwagon yet and started producing actual electric use wood props with thinner hubs, like Xoar and my favorite, Falcon Props. I have an APC prop on my Eflite CWC but have a Falcon wood prop on my Eflite Cub 450.

Got the package in the mail yesterday. They are thick but it looks like there is room to take some of that thickness down with sanding. The Prop hub on the cub actually has a lot of room so I think I can make it work. These are the "power Point" props and they are surprisingly light. Comparing it to the plastic prop recommended for the model, it's really not that different.

I'll see if I can grab some pics this weekend.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, the power points work well but are not nearly as efficient as blades designed for electrics. Don't get me wrong, they will perform well but a different prop for electrics will see a slightly longer flight time or better performance.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
Yeah, the power points work well but are not nearly as efficient as blades designed for electrics. Don't get me wrong, they will perform well but a different prop for electrics will see a slightly longer flight time or better performance.

so what makes it less efficient?

IF the length is the same, and the pitch is the same, and the wood is equal in weight or lighter, what's the part that is making it less "efficient"?

I bought a pack of 6 so I don't mind reshaping one or two in the name of experimentation and efficiency.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast

IF the length is the same, and the pitch is the same, and the wood is equal in weight or lighter, what's the part that is making it less "efficient"?

I bought a pack of 6 so I don't mind reshaping one or two in the name of experimentation and efficiency.

I believe it's the shape of the airfoil and also the amount of testing to actually label the blades "for electrics". All that makes them just a little more efficient. A sport flyer like us may not see the difference, but in competition it makes all the difference.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I believe it's the shape of the airfoil and also the amount of testing to actually label the blades "for electrics". All that makes them just a little more efficient. A sport flyer like us may not see the difference, but in competition it makes all the difference.

You will see a difference even as a sport flyer. Having a well balanced and efficient prop means that you are making the same power with less amp draw, meaning more flight time. The efficiency (generally) won't effect power output, but they're much kinder on your batteries and make for smoother flight (again, generally.)

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby

Just remember that wood props are stiffer and less flexible with a prop strike. When I takeoff and land with my Eflite CWC, I hear the prop waking the grass. The motor box on the CWC is not terribly thick and a stiff prop could easily do some damage with a prop strike. With big bush wheels on my Eflite Cub 450, I don't worry about that so I run a Falcon 12x6 wood. With a 480 motor, the Cub 450 will hang on a 12" Falcon prop. :D